Sign in to follow this  
Beth n Rod

Working outdoors - most and least...

Question

13 answers to this question

I enjoy not being stuck in an office all day. been there, done that.

I least enjoy temperature extremes. It is tough working outside when the ambient temp is in the 90's and the humidity is high. Just have to slow down and drink lots of water.

Cleaning hoods exposes us to teimperture ranges outdoors of 0° to 95°F. Kitchen temps may be 85°F with high humidity. We also get to see the moon, stars and sometimes that big yellow thing in the sky. I forget what it is called.

Least: Mosquitos and bees

Most: Well, there are several colleges in my area and the girls love to jog. I was thinking about putting up a fake jogging detour that goes through my back yard.

I least like the heat. Cold is miserable and stops work, but heat just makes me wish I stopped working.

Last Friday I was delayed starting on a gutters toground housewash just blocks from my own house, so I rushed out and got set up, then up to the gutters I went. Musta been 130* up there, and I'd had a smallish lunch early while waiting for my truck in the shop.

Suddenly I'm getting ill on a ladder. I got down and sat in the shade drinking water and Gatorade for a good 20 mins before I restarted. Then it was slow and plodding, with a lot of water breaks.

I'm not as young as I once was, but I'd like to get a little older.

I like being outside period. No matter what, I'd rather be outside, I've always been that way, and always will. There was never any question that I'd ever do anything that required a lot of inside work. It just isn't me.

But we all have to be careful when it is 98* and 98% relative humidity.

My work is how I stay in shape. Blood pressure over the last 5 years have been around 110 over 68....solid.

Love getting out at the crack of dawn and working up a good solid sweat. Being outside is the best office space for anyone.

What I hate about it......when the day is over and I have to go home!!!!!

Edited by newlook

Least.... I did a job that had 5 hoods and 3 fans on the 7th floor of a hotel that sits on a lake the ambient temp was -20 with wind chill it was -50 below. Everything froze solid 4 times, try rolling up 150 foot of hose in -50 weather when your soaking wet, I froze as fast as the hose did LOL

Most any day above 12 deg. out I live at the top of the Upper Penninsula of Michigan, not much summer here

The most I like about working outdoors is getting away from those fluorescent lights. They make me sleepy.

The least I like about working outdoors is the bee's. I'm allergic. When it comes to being up on a ladder and you find a nest or they are swarming from behind the siding or out of a roof pitch soffit and you have no way to run. Thought about doing the sliding down the ladder trick but with my luck I'd break something doing it. :headspin:

Rod!~