Sign in to follow this  
HotShot

Congrats President (elect) Obama

Question

I would like to congratulate Obama on his victory tonight. We threw a lot of mud around with each other during this election year, but I think at least most of us agree that we want the best for our country. I hope that Obama governs from more of the middle of the road than his talking points lead to believe. I disagree with A LOT of what he "says" he plans on doing, but he's still my president and he will have my respect for that alone.

51 answers to this question

No surprise, my generation has been eclipsed. A changing of the guard, the post baby boomers now take up the mantle of power.

I have been a Republican virtually all of my adult life due to economic philosophy. The party has veered too far to the right on social issues, and seems unable to govern in a centrist, forward oriented manner. We have earned this repudiation.

I truly hope President elect Obama has the wisdom, fortitude, and ability to be a good leader. The man himself is clearly intelligent. How intellect and fine rhetoric translates to governance will be crucial.

It is economic policy that is of greatest concern. My generation has demanded entitlements that are now law but unfunded. Medicare and Medicaid, as well as Social Security are the unaddressed elephant in the corner of the room, and it is going to take incredible advances in medicine and economic growth to fulfill these programs. My generation has burdened the younger generations with a huge financial liability.

But you know what? I'm probably too much of an optimist but historically America has been able to overcome, even thrive, with great changes in politics, economics, and seemingly unfathomable problems.

Obama won because Americans have become selfish and ignorant people who want everything for nothing. Its sad, but now those of us who work for a living have to suffer for those who don't.

So I have decided to quite my biz and rely on you to provide for my income. Thank you all for you help! LOL:lgbonk:

The Leadership of America and it's direction have gotten lost under Bush/Cheney and their deceptive Governing practices. The Republican Party's pandering to the Conservative Christian Right and Special Interest over Moral issues has got to go and get back to it's original ideology . Unregulated Capitalism doesn't work and the Biggest Social Welfare program proves that out! Bailout 2008!! I think Bush's plan was that he hoped the Economy's failure's would hold off until Jan 20 2009.

Bush killed McCain and America was ready for a huge Change! What a Great feeling it's is to be part of History and the appeal of Obama has on the World gives the US great hope moving into the Future!

Congrats to President Elect Barack Obama, It was a very emotional moment last night for Bahamians as we watched and celebrated the Historic Moment in Americas History. What President Elect Obama has archived displays to the world a new day in America,he has inspired so many Americans and people around the world.

Now the work begins for President Elect Obama all Americans to get the economy back on track, Your economy effects The Bahamas greatly so we look forward to a bright future.

WE ARE PROUD OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats to President Elect Barack Obama, It was a very emotional moment last night for Bahamians as we watched and celebrated the Historic Moment in Americas History. What President Elect Obama has archived displays to the world a new day in America,he has inspired so many Americans and people around the world.

Now the work begins for President Elect Obama all Americans to get the economy back on track, Your economy effects The Bahamas greatly so we look forward to a bright future.

Thanks Bahamas!

Although I did not vote for Sen. Obama, I am proud of America too. I never thought this country could overcome historical racial prejudice and elect a non white to the highest office in the land in my lifetime.

He has enormous practical problems, as well as high expectations to overcome. All Americans should not only hope and pray, but put aside political differences, and work to help this new executive administration through some very difficult times ahead.

:USA::USA::USA::USA::USA::sunshine:

James, Why the mention of '2008 bailout' as reason? Many were for it including your candidate. Heck he pushed for and inspired the thing. It will go down in history as a failed 700+bil welfare expendature for big biz cause all the dummies involved didn't place restrictions or mandates on spending it...how clever that Obama, he's got immunity.

The Bush administration inflicted terrible damage on the health of this great country. However, the spine of this country is too strong not to be able to stand back up again! I think we are closer to becoming the UNITED states again. This election has inspired the world. Certainly on par with the defeat of the Nazis in WW II.

This cartoon really speaks volumes. What an amazing day in our history.

God Bless America.

Beth

Should read 'Repealed Nov. 4, 2008' ..least for all folk that gonna pay more tax AND not get same stimulous/rebate/free money, etc.. :)

Funny thing about such cartoons are they represent joke sarcasm plenty a times...

I have been a Republican virtually all of my adult life due to economic philosophy. The party has veered too far to the right on social issues, and seems unable to govern in a centrist, forward oriented manner. We have earned this repudiation.

Hey Rick you ever take any of the party/political leader type tests to see who your like or what party you best fit?. I have, you may learn that you've never really matched upto a republican ideal except for during a time when it was not itself. Republicans being socially centrist is not something I remember as being historical or reflected in the tests..But yea some them tests are really good at defining a person and who they most like in history..Gotta try drumming the better ones up off some old forums I used to frequent for ya.. :)

Edited by MMI Enterprises

The intent of this thread when I started it was not to turn it into another political debate...I also promised to keep it civil, so I will. But, I have to respond to these.

This cartoon really speaks volumes. What an amazing day in our history.

God Bless America.

Beth

See, I don't get that. I have never been a person to judge people by how much melanin they have in their skin. I don't think people should have special "rights" or be promoted for that reason either. If a conservative black man would have been running, I think we would have supported him just the same. Not more, not less. We look for qualifications, and obviously Obama was/is not qualified for the job. You can argue if you like, but it's simply a fact.
That's a great cartoon,Beth. My country feels like a safer place today.
Now, I don't get this either...we have not been attacked in 7 years, Bush did a great job with National Security.
Isn't that a cool cartoon? Really makes you stop and think about what our forefathers intended. :USA:

Beth :USA:

I'm pretty sure our forefathers never intended the gov't to be the size it is now nor have the power that it does now. They would roll over in their graves...well, if they were buried alive and could roll over in their graves :D

Isn't that a cool cartoon? Really makes you stop and think about what our forefathers intended. :USA:

Beth :USA:

To vote in the early Federal elections, you had to be a property owner, male, over 21, & white.

Got to give it to Ant for stepping up and saying lets move on

I haven't really posted much since Obama won, I knew a lot of people were mad on these BB's and I wanted to just let it be for now. I also want to stop the BS politic fighting I have been doing, I and others from both side have just been a little crazy in some of our post, so I just wanted to stop and I am

I just want to say I am very excited about having a new president, we are in some rough times in many areas of the economy and in many areas of the country. My excitement is you want to call it change or just something different whatever. More people voted than ever, we have a younger president a man who is really pretty smart, so maybe just maybe he will want to be different from the same old Washington politician, Maybe just maybe he wasn't in Washington that long to be tainted by all the BS

He promises to work with both parties. We dont have to agree on everything but we can find common ground on many things and just maybe get some stuff done. Obama may and I pray will be a strong President for all of us and may actually get stuff done, we all know there is work to be done so maybe he will be the one to step up and get it done

History was made in our country a black man became president. It really is quite a thing to say for our country. I really don't look at him a black man I am seeing just a man a young man who fought hard for this job and I think he will fight hard to be a good president for all. We all know no one President can make all people happy, but one President can work toward the common good of all the people

I am excited and I hope others are and I hope those who are not are pleasantly surprised on some of the stuff this president does

We all love this country as we should, we have the greatest country in the world. So I just want to say good luck President Obama and God Bless our great country

Jeff

Hey Rick you ever take any of the party/political leader type tests to see who your like or what party you best fit?. I have, you may learn that you've never really matched upto a republican ideal except for during a time when it was not itself. Republicans being socially centrist is not something I remember as being historical or reflected in the tests..But yea some them tests are really good at defining a person and who they most like in history..Gotta try drumming the better ones up off some old forums I used to frequent for ya.. :)

Kevin,

After more than 30 yrs., I do not think I need some test to determine party affiliation.

You must be young. The Republican party has a long tradition of being centrist on social issues, especially in the selection of Presidential candidates. In my lifetime, Eisenhower, Rockefeller, Nixon, Ford, Reagan in governance, and G.W. Bush were all "middle of the road" on social policies.

It can be easily argued that John McCain was the most centrist Republican candidate of those running for the nomination in this election.

The Republican party has long been a home to libertarians, and it remains so.

I read this quote today...first time I've ever seen it, but it really shows how smart of a man President Lincoln was.

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." - Abraham Lincoln

Even though we may not agree with Obama's stance on issues in the past, we conservative/republicans need to respect his presidency until he proves that he is not a man of character while in office. Bill Clinton is the perfect example...he proved himself over and over...scumbag. GW Bush also proved himself I believe...Person of character.

I would also like to say for my fellow Bible thumpers, lets not forget that God said that He ordains the leaders that are in place. They are there for a reason. God's will..will be done. In Romans chapter 13 you can read all about how we are to respect their authority. Can we disagree with him...absolutely. If he goes against God's word it is our job to voice our disagreements and such, but he is still our president and should be respected for that.

Also, another thing I wanted to add. The only thing that will heal our land is not who is president, or who is in congress, etc....

2Ch 7:14 "If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land."

The nation has spoken and so it is....

Ant - Your first post here is why you will always have my respect brother. I agreed and disagreed with you silently throughout this election but at the end of the day you and others that have spoken on this subject only wanted what was best for the this country.

You know if you ever come north on I-5 - you are always welcomed at the crib!

How did I miss this post.....?

Thanks Carlos, I appreciate that dude. ;)

History was made in our country a black man became president. It really is quite a thing to say for our country. I really don't look at him a black man I am seeing just a man a young man who fought hard for this job and I think he will fight hard to be a good president for all.

All the race junk is dumb and wrong. Your view of not looking at him as a black man is commendable. In fact since he is of no more black origin than of a white origin I see no validity whatsoever in a sensationalizing that he is black. ..how dare people label him black!!!. OBAMA IS A WHITE MAN and challenge anyone to disprove it.