Sign in to follow this  
bigchaz

Truck completely burned up

Question

Out in the driveway this morning the entire truck burned to the ground. Started in the front so as far as I can tell it wasn't stain related. I always spread my tarps out to dry and get rid of oily rags. Luckily didnt hit the house.

Drills, sanders, saws, sprayers, staining supplies...and spare me the chastising for this...but unfortunately all my invoices, customer proposals, business records, everything...was in the truck. Thats the worst part...Ive got jobs half finished I dont know where they live or how to contact them

Anyway, guys pray for me and pray for the rebuilding. If you never knew...I'm only 21 years old, finally starting to learn something, business was really starting to heat up, and them BAM. So this is tough. Never been through anything remotely like this. Sure rocks your passion

I have regular insurance to cover the truck just need to find out if I can cover any of the contents. My business insurance is for liability so I don't think that will help me.

18 answers to this question

Charlie,

We're thinking of you. Call if we can help with any guidance.

You should be able to back track and go to your customer's homes. Sit down and think of where you were yesterday, and before that, etc. If you have caller ID on your phone, begin there. You should be able to get some customers that way too.

Beth

Wow Charlie - I don't know if I could even type if this happened to me! Hang in there fellow woodie! I was at a crossroads with vehicles when I crashed my neon - it opened the oppurtunity for getting my truck. Hopefully something really good comes of this!

Geeze Charlie,

That is one hard hit for a young man just getting his business rolling. Might be important to determine the cause of the fire. May help in preventing a future loss.

Sounds like Celeste might be a good resource. Do you know other similar contractors in your area? Maybe one has a spare pressure washer, another a Shurflo pump, brushes, chems, stain, etc. to help you get back on your feet.

Man I hate hearing this from anybody!!!!! Hey man hang in there, you got our prayer support!!! I hope all turns out for the good for you!!!

I have this lil fear in me sometimes that one of the guys will have a wreck and lose a rig or even a life, that would put a man and company thru a down time no doubt.

Good Luck!!!!

Man that Sucks, Charlie. I'll pray you get back on your feet quickly.

Maybe take an add in the local paper as a way for customers to know and contact you.

I think a number of us may get Charlie through this all :)

Charlie, Roger is going to be in Wake tomorrow - give a call tonight if you need him to bring you anything....seeing as how your wheels are probably not moving at the moment!

Everyone has been so great and I truly truly appreciate all of you so much. Beth thanks for the idea on the caller ID, with my blackberry I have every phone call logged on there so I looked at the calender for when I did estimates and could match up what house I must have called to confirm for each estimate. Cleared up with just about all of my customers for now so I think I might give myself a few days break before booking more work.

All of you who have contacted me thanks so much and sorry if I haven't gotten to your calls. Celeste thanks so much and please tell Roger the same. Yall are truly a blessing. I'll let you know how it goes when I start sorting through the stuff I'm missing and figure out what I need to start the cash flow again

Been a long day, time to get some sleep for me! Rest well everyone

Hey Charlie, contact your cell company, they should be able to give you all the numbers you called, and the ones that called you.

Use this as an opportunity to close sales you thought you lost before. Follow up on every call on your bill for the last 2 months. If you need something let me know, I've got all kinds of extra stuff.

Actually if you have a buisness out of a vehicle you need a marine inland policy to cover contents unless things are specificly insured.

Inland marine insurance indemnifies loss to moving or movable property and is an outgrowth of ocean marine insurance. Historically, ocean marine insurance held the transporter responsible for property loss before, during, and after the completion of the voyage. In the 1800s the non-ocean portion of the journey grew as cargoes were transferred to non-ocean vessels (such as barges) and the term "inland marine" was coined.

Inland marine policies became known as "floaters" since the property to which coverage was originally extended was essentially "floating." The coverage has grown to include property that just involves an element of transportation. The property that is insured under inland marine coverage is typically one of the following:

• Actually in transit

• Held by a bailee

• At a fixed location that is an instrument of transportation

• A movable type of goods that is often at different locations

The following coverages represent a wide range of the types of coverages typically called "inland marine":

• Accounts Receivable

• Bailee Customer's Goods

• Builders' Risk

• Communication Towers and Equipment

• Computer Coverage

• Contractors Equipment

• Commercial Floaters

• Dealers

• Exhibitions

• Fine Arts

• Furriers

• Golf Equipment

• Guns

• Installation

• Jewelers

• Leased Property

• Mobile Medical Equipment

• Motor Truck Cargo

• Museums

• Musical Instruments

• Processing Risks

• Rigger's Liability

• Scheduled Property

• Transportation

• Trip Transit

• Valuable Papers

• Warehouse Legal

Edited by Alexy

My business isn't out of my vehicle though. The business is from the home. My vehicle is an asset owned by the company in the execution of my business operations

My business isn't out of my vehicle though. The business is from the home. My vehicle is an asset owned by the company in the execution of my business operations
i hope your insurance covers at least some of your loss . here in england i saw a gardening one- man -bands van go up in flames . the fire brigade refused to put the fire out as his van had a gallon can of unleaded fuel stored in the back.they were scared adding water to the fire would cause a toxic run off . later the topsoil around the van had to be removed and transported to a toxic waste dump over in WALES , because the fire run off is classed as hazardous waste .