Sign in to follow this  
Roishe Cheng

Recommendations on cleaning this deck

This deck was coated in BEHR "Redwood" acrylic stain by the previous owner. Since the base coating is in relatively good condition, I am looking for recommendations on what chemicals to use for cleaning this surface dirt away. I've spent countless hours here reading tons of threads and from what a lot of people are saying, bleach should *not* be used on wood?

What is your recommended recipe to clean up this deck along with the recommended dwell time?

I have access to an X-JET, DS tips along with all of the chemicals that PressureTek carries:

F8, F13, F18, F10 and simple cherry. The reason I have an X-Jet and all these chemicals is because I am working on some other cleaning jobs around the house this week. I also have my pool supplier dropping off a few bottles of 12.5% bleach this week. So I'm covered on chems.

Pics inline:

3668602043_92f09f1a31_b.jpg

3669410482_131b96abf0_b.jpg

3668602261_978442c59c_b.jpg

Many thanks in advance!

You must be a new homeowner as evidenced by your four projects.

You have some great projects that are going to make you appreciate hiring a professional as a viable alternative. None of what you mentioned will remove that Behr.

You must be a new homeowner as evidenced by your four projects.

You have some great projects that are going to make you appreciate hiring a professional as a viable alternative. None of what you mentioned will remove that Behr.

Thanks, bought the house 2 years ago, I am pretty handy, used do GC and build houses in Florida with my uncle so I can figure this stuff out. I am pretty handy with a PW as I've used them plenty of times for detailing autos and doing some simple house cleaning chores/driveways etc.

I am definitely *not* looking to strip the Behr. Just want to clean the deck and get all the dirt out. Just looking for recommendation on chems to use.

Downstream 12.5% and rinse with the black tip. The chlorine won't damage the wood, since the Behr cr*p won't allow it to penetrate. This method won't harm the finish.

Downstream 12.5% and rinse with the black tip. The chlorine won't damage the wood, since the Behr cr*p won't allow it to penetrate. This method won't harm the finish.

John, thanks for the response. You're right about it being "Behr Crap", their interior paint isn't much better either, I use BM or Pratt & Lambert for all the painting jobs I've done. BEHR is like water, very poor hiding qualities.

I am going to try ds'ing 12.5 on a small section and will post up the after pics. Thanks again!

Thanks John....I am a day late and dollar short!!

Wat chlorine?

Please stop the chlorine talk,following the EPA advise chlorine is only to be used on hard and non porus surfaces and does not kill mold and mildew dead!

Looking at this deck it's a easy one,Oxione will clean this in a jiffy,without harming any surface GUARANTEED!

Wat chlorine?

Please stop the chlorine talk,following the EPA advise chlorine is only to be used on hard and non porus surfaces and does not kill mold and mildew dead!

Looking at this deck it's a easy one,Oxione will clean this in a jiffy,without harming any surface GUARANTEED!

Please go to "my controls" and complete your signature line. House Rules.

John, thanks for the response. You're right about it being "Behr Crap", their interior paint isn't much better either, I use BM or Pratt & Lambert for all the painting jobs I've done. BEHR is like water, very poor hiding qualities.

I am going to try ds'ing 12.5 on a small section and will post up the after pics. Thanks again!

Please go to your "my controls" and complete your signature line. House rules.

Please edit your post and remove the copy pasted photos. Use the image attachment feature at the bottom of where you compose the message to attach them so it doesn't throw the forums out of whack. Thank you! :)

Beth

Wat chlorine?

PLEASE add your signature....

Beth

There is some other cleaning solutions from askthebuilder.com. He usually gives good advice, too. I would lean to an oxygen bleach called Stain Solver, completely bio-degradable and will not damage the wood.

The chemical he listed, F-10, is the same active ingredient - but far greater quality.

I have used some (and I stress some) of his advice. Is it hard to believe that someone might know more than you?

I am just giving options other than the others for cleaning the deck.

Let me set you straight. I don't claim to know more than anyone, but I do know quite a bit about cleaning and maintaining decks. If you doubt that, you need to do some reading on this forum. As for you dissing me, I'll take your crap when you've posted more than 20 times. Until then, read and learn. Oh, and just an FYI: I wouldn't have Tim Carter (ask the bumbler) rake my yard, let alone touch my deck. He's a newspaper columnist for crying out loud.

After reading this thread, I find it interesting that when a (supposed) homeowner asks a question, many of the responses refer him to buy from a supplier/friend of these BBS's instead of the easiest way. Which for the homeowner will be to stop at the nearest pool supply and get 12.5%...add some Dawn dish soap....apply with a pump sprayer....or DS it...or Deckster....or a bucket and mop. Let it sit 10 minutes and rinse with low pressure (black nozzle or garden hose). EPA?....nice scare tactic!

Bottom line, are we being honest with our intentions when we so obviously steer someone like this in a self-serving direction that appears to not be in his best interest.

Lastly, I have to respond to the 1st answer in this thread.....the deck does not look that dirty? Soap and water? Oh Please!! Soap and water, without something to kill that black growth, ain't going to get it done. Or was that another self-serving move to get the guy to fail and then hire one of us?

Just asking? Question With Boldness.......

I stand by my earlier answer and add that, minus a pressure washer, a homeowner could "swab the deck" with a 3% solution of chlorine/bleach - or 2:1 water to store-bought bleach.

After reading this thread, I find it interesting that when a (supposed) homeowner asks a question, many of the responses refer him to buy from a supplier/friend of these BBS's instead of the easiest way. Which for the homeowner will be to stop at the nearest pool supply and get 12.5%...add some Dawn dish soap....apply with a pump sprayer....or DS it...or Deckster....or a bucket and mop. Let it sit 10 minutes and rinse with low pressure (black nozzle or garden hose). EPA?....nice scare tactic!

Bottom line, are we being honest with our intentions when we so obviously steer someone like this in a self-serving direction that appears to not be in his best interest.

Lastly, I have to respond to the 1st answer in this thread.....the deck does not look that dirty? Soap and water? Oh Please!! Soap and water, without something to kill that black growth, ain't going to get it done. Or was that another self-serving move to get the guy to fail and then hire one of us?

Just asking? Question With Boldness.......

You may want to re read the homeowners first post. It was he who first said that he had access to all of PT's chemicals. No one was trying to push him over there.

You may want to re read the homeowners first post. It was he who first said that he had access to all of PT's chemicals. No one was trying to push him over there.

That was why I called him a "supposed" homeowner.

If i where this home owner i'd say the hell whith this site, nothing but bickrering and trying to prove one and other wrong.

Did this home owner finally get his answer reading all this?

Or did he see what kind of people are in this business?