Sign in to follow this  
Chappy

AC Semi solid

Question

Just finished this deck in Tampa. Stripped 1 coat of an oil solid which came off easily, then 2 coats of something I coudn't tell. Took 3 strips with HD 80.

Stained with Mountain Cedar Semi Solid

post-4622-137772255224_thumb.jpg

post-4622-137772255427_thumb.jpg

post-4622-137772255518_thumb.jpg

post-4622-1377722556_thumb.jpg

24 answers to this question

I don't understand. Jon's job looks like picnic table red, while Daniel's job looks like a heavily pigmented brown.

Both jobs appear to be PT SYP wood. Both Jon and Daniel state that they used A-C Mountain Cedar Semi Solid stain.

Are my eyes failing, am I a complete blithering idiot, or is something odd going on?

I'm just making a guess here but the pics Jon posted still look wet in places but Dan's look dry. Could it be that Dan's pics were taken 2 weeks after application thus allowing the stain to fully cure into it's final color? If you look at the 2nd pic from Jon the center looks to be dry while the outer edges look to be wet and the color more closely matches what Dan has.

Just my guess.

I think Jons pics are a little messed up with the way the sun is hitting. I cant even tell which ones are before and after.

Dan's looks about what it should when dry. Jon you sure that wasn't the sequoia?

... Could it be that Dan's pics were taken 2 weeks after application thus allowing the stain to fully cure into it's final color?...

Pat,

Hope you are wrong on that speculation. If I applied a stain that went on bright red, but was suppose to look brown, I'd have customers coming at me with a double barrel shotgun! Doubt if I could collect a check with the line, "Oh but Mrs. Pigtail, our stain turns to brown in a few days!"

Mountain Cedar is my personal favorite. I just did my deck with it this past weekend and it turned out great.

Jim, Whats your take, Did your MCedar have that red of a cast? Other pics Ive seen of Mcedar here & on PT state dont look red.

Pat,

Hope you are wrong on that speculation. If I applied a stain that went on bright red, but was suppose to look brown, I'd have customers coming at me with a double barrel shotgun! Doubt if I could collect a check with the line, "Oh but Mrs. Pigtail, our stain turns to brown in a few days!"

I agree that is why I clarified that it was a guess. I think Charlie may be on to something. Here is a picture of Sequoia that I did on my daughters deck.

post-5133-137772256668_thumb.jpg

Dan, yours looks very blotchy and inconsistent compared to Chappy's photo's finished .

As to the middle picture - since I had to deal with deck furniture and rains that went on forever, I stained the deck in sections. Again - in the middle picture the right half the stain has sat there for 2 weeks curing - where as in the left half - the stain is a only a day old - as well the right half has a thin layer of sawdust that got on it as we were sanded the left half.

If I have one gripe about the work - it's that I was training my nephew on this job and we were hand brushing everything out - and the way his brush strokes were going on - it puddled more every three feet or so - other than that he picked up on a lot of things amazingly fast. But it's a small gripe - from looking at the 2 week old work - even those 'undulations' in the way the stain is applied has totally faded away.

As to the reddish color - this stain is extremely red up on the first coat - the second application the reddishness disappears. And this pressure treated is extremely beat to death. Where as Jon's is covered and not as weathered - weathered ptp always seems to have deeper brownish tones when finished.

If you look at the pic of the rails out in the sun, you can tell the true color better. Because the deck is covered and my poor picture taking skills, the color looks off. The true color is more a match to daniels. It really is mountain cedar. I only used one coat, and it sucked it in so much I almost ran out.

The customer is thrilled, thank you very much, and have already been paid.

I will try to work on my photography skills though. My finished pics often leave a lot to be desired, but to see them personally is like looking at the Sistine Chapel ceiling!!

Dan, that is one big deck. I think it looks very nice.

Don't remind me - the 'mathematics' of measuring for some reason broke down on me, I think I did that deck for half of what it's worth. And everything that can go wrong went wrong on that deck. Pressure washer broke halfway through the job - and I was down to 200psi. My airless was still not fixed. Because it wasn't appropriately cleaned - I had to do much more than normal sanding. My floor sander I bought off ebay broke on the second day of sanding and on and on and on.

I eventually decided it was a learning experience and one I was training my nephew on. If you notice I stained the underside of the upper story deck as well. At least the osborn brush - which was a first for me on this deck came through - but it wears extremely fast. I think that sucker ate 12 gallons hand brushed!

Anyways - Jon - thanks. I think we'll all have better luck with this manufacturer over the 'previous' one. The one thing I found out though, this isn't a one coat style stain. I had a system for getting woodtux perfect on one coat - this stuff after the first coat is still extremely blotchy, unless on extremely new wood where you have to pad off the extra. It also looks reddish for some reason after only one coat?

Those pics look different then what I know mountain cedar to look like on ptp. I have done 4 decks with the color so far including just finishing my own deck this past weekend and the results on each deck was consistent which is what I like about the high solid content. My deck is part old deck (about 10 yrs old) and part new deck built about 2 months ago. Ill post some pics of both as soon as puddles dissapear and I can get some pics.

The first three photos are of mountain cedar on my deck and the last one is of woodland brown deck that I just completed. I like the mountian cedar because it looks brownish in the evening and more cedarish when the sunlight hits it. I took these pics in the evening.

post-896-137772258412_thumb.jpg

post-896-13777225845_thumb.jpg

post-896-137772258485_thumb.jpg

post-896-137772258524_thumb.jpg

I forgot to mention that the first pic is where my old deck meets the new deck. I think if I would have used most other semi transparent stains the two decks would not match well. The pics arent that good of quality because I took them with my phone.

The more I see the Mountain Cedar the more I like it. It's opaque enough to hide flaws or damaged wood but still shows the grain pretty well. Nice job.

The last pic of Woodland Brown... :zipit:

I'll pass on the color.

Jim, that second deck is what I would call perfection and what every customer would flip over. It almost looks like a composite. One thing about the A/C line is the tone variance. I don't know what causes it, but age and porosity seem to have a major effect on how the color shows. That woodland brown looks like Behr-o-bismal. Well not quite that bad but something tells me that is not the way it turned out in person or that it would look markedly different on newer construction.

The pic of the woodland brown is a little more red then it actually is in person but it was a little more red then I had expected. One of my employees stripped that deck and stained it and I think it was redwood but I am not posative and the homeowner didnt know. The customer was happy with it because it had a behr stain on it previously and looked horrid. Beleive it or not two customers recently picked the woodland brown after seeing that pic and another that shows it as more of a brownish color. I always show the wood samples and then a couple pics and tell them that the final color will fall some where in between.