Sign in to follow this  
RPetry

Cedar fix

Question

I can be a real idiot at times. We finished a large multi deck cedar job a while ago. The large rear deck had a huge, stainless steel grill, almost a portable kitchen, at the far end. This thing weighed a ton, too heavy to easily remove off of the wood.

As have done in the past, decided to work "around" it, ie: move it for stripping, brightening, and staining. Did not notice that this monster grill had hard casters about 2" in diameter instead of the normal larger wheels.

First picture shows the results of my inattention and my kids moving it around, after the first application of stain. I was horrified and was not quite sure what to do.

Fix was a fairly hard, 60 grit random orbital sanding of each complete cedar 5/4 x 6 deck board that was affected. Not a "spot" sanding, but a complete sanding. This removed some surface pigment and resin, as can be seen in the 2nd pic, if you look at the non sanded wood in the upper right corner.

This worked very well, as can be seen in the finished 3rd pic. There are still some faint wheel marks in a few places, but hardly noticeable.

It is always a crap shoot sanding cedar, but this time it worked out well.

post-170-137772257995_thumb.jpg

post-170-137772258038_thumb.jpg

post-170-137772258048_thumb.jpg

11 answers to this question

I hate those grills! We leave them on as well and carfeully move them. Problem is that I have had customers move them after cleaning and before staining.

+1!

Grills should jut be moved side to side, check to make sure the wheels are UNLOCKED. (stupid feature if you ask me) Also check the side arms carefully before you lift, many are not tight and won't stand being lifted...

Beth :cup:

+1!

Grills should jut be moved side to side, check to make sure the wheels are UNLOCKED. (stupid feature if you ask me) Also check the side arms carefully before you lift, many are not tight and won't stand being lifted...

Beth :cup:

Scott & Beth,

Yeah, one side of this monster was very flimsy, and you could not lift it without damaging the grill. Wheels were not locked, just small in diameter and hard rubber. Does not mix well with soft WRC.

As soon as I noticed the damage, out came the masonite boards we use for spray shields!

I used to have a 3 ft by 4 ft piece of plywood for this problamo(wheels) in my truck at all times.

I mounted my plywood on to a furniture dolley so we could roll barbecues & large planters around.

Nice recovery Rick. Can't even tell.

Lots of grills I have seen even have the gas line that has to be disconnected. Pita IMO. But needs to be moved.

Great work as usual.

How many times have you seen warped siding because the the grill's heat. It never fails to make me laugh a little.

Daniel,

Tell that to ne're do wells in Central NJ. They would spit bullets in the Gov's face! Let alone our esteemed Governor Corzine, who is a liberal Wall Streeter that made his money off the backs of the working class, and now is a Democratic champion.

NJ is the political pits. Probably worse than Mass., if at all possible. It is an an embarrassment and shame to live in this state.

Edited by RPetry

I took my kid on a job with me. Customer had a Big Green Egg, (mini) that is very heavy. I moved it, but my kid moved it back. I had forgotten to tell him how unstable they are, and Smash!

Customer was very nice about it, but they cost 3x the job amount!