Sign in to follow this  
Visionzlandscapes

Help with pricing

Question

Hey guys before you give the noob a hard time i would like to say that I am just trying to learn so i can put forth a good effort and dedication to my work where as i know i am doing each job correctly! I currently run a landscaping operation and wanting to start an power washing operation because i am being asked by over 50% of my customers to do some washing.

Here is my equipment.

2002 chevy 2500 HD

New 2600 PSI troy built 7 hp. washer.

I will be solo operation as of starting off until i get estabilished. Not looking to make millions just some extra income. I have done pressure work before now i just want to make sure i am right with the pricing so that i am competative and on the other hand so i do not cheat myself by doing it too cheap.

here are some prices i have came up with after internet research.

* fairly clean cement-.10 per sqft and $75 minimum

*greasy cement.nasty-.15 per sqft.

WOOD

-.80 to pressure wash only

-.85 cent per sqft to seal only

-$1.45 to do both per sqft and $1 per linear ft on rails and spindles. Minimum of $150.00

Vinyl siding homes-

fairly clean-.15 cent per sqft

dirty-.17 sqft

moldy/mildew-.22 sqft

How does those prices sound?

also when i apply deterent to the house do i charge by the square ft for that as well? OR do i only charge for the pressure washing per sqft??

thanks in advance!!!

84 answers to this question

One other thing...Please post a topic one time only. You posted this at 2:52 and again at 3:03 in different threads... I have merged them here. Thanks.

Beth :cup:

Edited by Beth n Rod

Those are pro prices that factor experience and high volume machines. I can pretty much guarantee you that you would make about an extra $400 per month or so.

The only thing that stands out as ridiculous to me is $1 per linear foot of railing. Did you mean $10? Its a safe bet to factor 7 square feet per linear foot of railing.

I am assuming you have been here for awhile and read all of the posts on proper technique, chemicals etc and have insurance. Welcome to the business!

I won't touch cement for residential for a measly $0.10/SF. That's a joke! Doesn't sound like with your equipment that you have a surface cleaner anyways.

I know an extremely successful landscaper - and his problem is trying to grow his operations quickly enough to meet demand. I am certainly not one to give business away - but pressure washing is whole new skillset, set of responsibilities, and head aches. It really requires alot of your energy. I would sit down and decide if you really want to grow in that direction - or refocus on what you know best and grow your landscaping.

The problem you will find is that you can do either just a small bit of washing on the side - or you have to go full bore - with damned little in between.

Just a suggestion - on the heels of Dan's post......... Have you considered networking with a power washer in your area - there's a high likelihood that he's been asked about things that you would be better served doing - refer work back and forth.

I'm afraid the machine you have in conjunction with your pricing will have you losing money pretty quickly.

No offence, but here in my area the landscapers are dipping into the PW market and making a mess. they should stick to grass. but if you do your homework and kill the search link. you wil learn alot on the proper cleaning methods. you will need to invest in a new PW with hot water and a SC plus learn about chems. afterall you dont want people saying, that guy from ...X....company's work sucks. they are hacks.good luck with it buddy.

I have them same problem here. One little thing I do is carry a blank insurance certificate with me on estimates. I at least show it to the customer. Even though another certificate will be issued in there name the blank one at least shows my insurance companies name and agent so they can call and at least know I have a policy to protect them. I never used to be asked about insurance in many years even though I had it. But these days more and more customers are asking for it. Actually a good thing for us, those lowballers and fly-by-nights that don't carry insurance will be forced out of the market.....maybe. Even though some customers don't understand the cost of expenses like insurance I have sold many projects over the lowballers just because of having liabilty and workmans comp. I explain to some customers that they can be help responsible if some fly-by-night contractor or his "employees" get hurt on thier property.

guys i just completed pressure washing a deck that is 9'x9'. It has 64 spindles, 5 double steps, 33 ft of straight top railing and 33 ft of straight bottom railing. It has a slight turn of green on the base flooring. It took me an hour and 10 minutes to do the whole thing. Here is how i priced it.

9x9=81 x .85=$68.85

$1 per spindle =$64

steps are 3 sqft so i charged 2.50x5=$12.50 on steps

$1 per straight ft for the top railing and bottom railing is included.=$33

total-$178.00

in my books by using that method it seems a little steep for a deck that small how does the price sounds to you guys?? if you have any suggestions please respond i am trying to learn pricing here.

it took me $3 in gas.

9x9=81 x .85=$68.85

$1 per spindle =$64

steps are 3 sqft so i charged 2.50x5=$12.50 on steps

$1 per straight ft for the top railing and bottom railing is included.=$33

total-$178.00

OK, here's an easier way to get to your price 9 x 9 = 81

81 x 2.20 = 178.20 now you know your sq ft price $2.20

Figuring out your price by measuring the deck floor only, makes estimating WAY easier.

Figuring out your price by measuring the deck floor only, makes estimating WAY easier.

....yeah, and less accurate for cost calculations and less profitable. Great if it is just a floor...then it works....no offense intended, tried that year one and abandoned it quick, made much more money measuring all the wood...

Beth

it took me 1 hr to do what i listed above the whole thing. including some lattice which was really easy to do.

how do you guys do your pricing? how much do you charge per spindle to pressure wash & stain? also the rails how much to pressure wash and stain?

Please go to your "My Controls" and complete your signature line.

House Rules, plus, we like to know who we are talking to.

Edited by Adrian

Measure. If you fold out a picket it's 4" by 3-4' depending on rail height, sweep through/no sweep through, caps at standard or 2x4 or 2x6 - they have underneaths, posts are larger....... you need to learn to measure.

here is what i found on some pricing reasearch i have been going by. it says $2.50 per ft for handrails! that seems crazy to me!

$0.75 to $2.00 per SqFt., $1.25-$1.50 per SqFt. for the average home.

Add $50.00 for stairways (or $10.00 per step) and 2nd story.

The Sq Footage is in the floor only, most contractors do not figure the railing separately.

Second Method: $1.50 per SqFt. for first story, $1.75 for second story. Clean only: $0.85 per SqFt. Seal only: $0.85 per SqFt.

Over 400 SqFt discount 20%, over 1,000 SqFt discount 30%, over 2,000 SqFt discount 40%.

Lattice: $0.75 to $0.90 cents per square foot.

Handrails: $2.50 to $3.30 per linear foot

Undersides: $1.40 per sq. ft. Be sure to include all the square footage, including joists and supports.

Sealers will generally cover 100 to 250 SqFt per gallon. Older surfaces may require two applications.

You may be of business in no time flat. Do a few decks at those prices and let us know how you make out. You're really coming across as a hack here. PLEASE keep reading. There is a right way to do wood and you are not practicing it.

after doing some further research on these threads i have come to find out that i am going to charge $1.40 per sqft of wood with stain, where as i am going to apply the stain with a painters roller. i am going to charge $3.00 per linear ft for railing which will include the spindles (no sanding) 3 steps included with the price anything over 3 on steps will be $3.00 per step.

is that realistic and profitable for me? thanks