Sign in to follow this  
plainpainter

Look, Fenner, this is how poor my customers are

Question

141 answers to this question

I think if Dan put on some Cragar's and jacked up the back he could market it.. "We have not changed our prices or our quality since the 70's!". To really get the most out of visibility, a set of Cherry Bomb mufflers on the headers would make the van memorable. Dan, you could write your estimates on the back of your "disturbing the peace" citations.

I think I'm on to something.

I think if Dan put on some Cragar's and jacked up the back he could market it.. "We have not changed our prices or our quality since the 70's!". To really get the most out of visibility, a set of Cherry Bomb mufflers on the headers would make the van memorable. Dan, you could write your estimates on the back of your "disturbing the peace" citations.

People can say what they want about Daniel Tambasco. I think the dude is a hoot. I like him. Theres a phrase for all this, but I'm its just not coming to me.

Sorry, Chris, looked over my data for house washing and deck restoration been closing at the 60-70% range this year - and my pricing is on the high end of what folks post on these boards. I am in the process of deciphering how folks think - and your thoughts on a nice clean professional clean truck/van are totally antiquated. The only difference between me and some of the more successful guys here is the amount of marketing leads they generate. I understand how to sell my company - and understand the reasons why my van has absolutely no negative impact on perception like you theorize it would.

Ken - trust me, I don't want you to think I have a big head now - I am just answering Chris' thoughts. I still have a long way to go to be a sales guru.

Didn't you state on another board the your painting sales for 2009 was $3,800.00....for the year? Isnt the name of your company Just Plain Painting? I would assume that "Painting" is your main source of income ....and the other services would be small percentages.

Antiquated? Really?

:rotfl: Ken ....your showing me up again!

Didn't you state on another board the your painting sales for 2009 was $3,800.00....for the year? Isnt the name of your company Just Plain Painting? I would assume that "Painting" is your main source of income ....and the other services would be small percentages.

Antiquated? Really?

That cant be right Chris. That must have been an old post.

There was a thread going on today about avg sale. That must be what you are thinking of.

I hope so or else a return to the basement or the "war room" might be in order to re-analize data. Because data buys paint jobs.

I dont get this. This whole thread. I'm looking at the title, the pictures and the content, and its just not making sense. But I cant stop laughing at Ken and Chris long enough to put it all together.

I hope so or else a return to the basement or the "war room" might be in order to re-analize data. Because data buys paint jobs.

As much as I like Dan, it is frustrating when you are right in the middle of a discussion and the dude just disappears. Sometimes for days. And I know what you're gonna say Chris, he's probably pulling up some video footage of fenway park and studying the signs or something like that, which is a really good point actually. The signage at fenway park is geared to a very captive audience. Thats more in johnthepaInters realm.

I understand how to sell my company - and understand the reasons why my van has absolutely no negative impact on perception like you theorize it would.

guru.

I cant get away from this one. That job in Salem, NH is probably online for the spring ....wasnt in the budget last year. If I call you for your services I would seriously have to ask you to park at K-Mart a mile away. If my client thought I had to rely on another company that came in a 15 year old mini van with tinted windows I would be out the door. Image is everything in this business.

Antiquated? Really?

If this is true, its gotta be a supply and demand experiment, which I have actually thought about doing. Chris, if you think about it, if you are a painter and you refuse to paint, you limit the supply of your craft to the consumer. Theoretically, demand would go up in response to the limited supply, if the dynamics were right you could name your price. So you take a loss leader like gutter cleaning, which you know you cant build a business around but you can make decent but limited money at, and you get your leads that way, park a truck in the yard that says PAINTING on it and if there is crossover, you could play very hard to get and perhaps land at a very desirable price point. Its a cool idea from a business standpoint, but from a practical standpoint my wife would surely kick me out of the house.

I cant get away from this one. That job in Salem, NH is probably online for the spring ....wasnt in the budget last year. If I call you for your services I would seriously have to ask you to park at K-Mart a mile away. If my client thought I had to rely on another company that came in a 15 year old mini van with tinted windows I would be out the door. Image is everything in this business.

Are you guys going to work together on a job?

Well you're partly right - I did jack the back up this summer - put in extra leaf springs.

Antiquated? Really?

That's right - I didn't make that much from just painting alone. Did half a dozen house estimates, didn't nail one - nobody is paying for nothing when it comes to painting. About the only painting I did was one $2,400 interior job - those lamp posts - and balusters on a two tone deck. Your assumptions about my company name are wrong, it's worded like that for other reasons. I chase the services that make me money, I've done just about 3k in sales this year alone just cleaning gutters for folks.

And Scott is right, I have 3 house painting estimates to do right now based upon my customers who have already gotten services done by me this year. I am no longer going to estimate painting services to folks from now on unless they have a referral from a prior customer or are a prior customer.

And I don't see what's so unprofessional about this rig?

post-1720-137772289148_thumb.jpg

post-1720-137772289211_thumb.jpg

If this is true, its gotta be a supply and demand experiment, which I have actually thought about doing. Chris, if you think about it, if you are a painter and you refuse to paint, you limit the supply of your craft to the consumer. Theoretically, demand would go up in response to the limited supply, if the dynamics were right you could name your price. So you take a loss leader like gutter cleaning, which you know you cant build a business around but you can make decent but limited money at, and you get your leads that way, park a truck in the yard that says PAINTING on it and if there is crossover, you could play very hard to get and perhaps land at a very desirable price point. Its a cool idea from a business standpoint, but from a practical standpoint my wife would surely kick me out of the house.

Laugh it up, Scott. I cleaned these gutters at this home - where the husband saw my truck and asked me to give him a quote for pressure washing their trex deck for next spring. The next day his wife called me back to fix her christmas lights on her front gutter I messed up - so I came back and fixed it. Then she saw my truck and asked for a whole exterior painting estimate and she also wanted an estimate to paint 3 ceilings, which I gave to her on the spot.

If you seriously thought my Van was an 'image' problem, trust me I wouldn't want to do the work.

LOL, this IMO is the greatest thread ever!!! :)

Like Topcoat, I never cease being amazed/amused with Dan. Dan, I think you decide on an opinion (like the appearance of your van doesn't matter) then work to try and prove that it holds true. The idea that you don't think your van appearance has any impact on your biz is lunacy. It might not be the *biggest* issue, but it IS affecting your sales.

Hah! Fife comes out of the woodwork to nail it yet again.

Daniel, to be honest, the name "Plain Painter" is not the best moniker in the business.

To be honest, the lettering and appearance of your van does not subscribe to a top notch, valuable and reliable service, certainly for high end deck and wood work.

It appears that you have access to some high end demographic work. This is where the money is. This is where, if you perform and please, the market is at for quality customers and jobs.

I can honestly say, that a recent purchase of a work van, lettered and designed well, has paid honest dividends in attaining well paying jobs. But appearance has to be backed up by experience, sales skills, and just connecting and being friends with your potential customers.

Good customers are not looking for the lowest, handyman price. Good customers are looking for service, experience, and the peace of mind knowing that they are dealing with a reputable, knowledgeable, and reliable contractor.

That's right - I didn't make that much from just painting alone. Did half a dozen house estimates, didn't nail one - nobody is paying for nothing when it comes to painting. /QUOTE]

Dan

I am being serious with this.

You CANNOT draw the conclusion that the paint market is dead when you own a paint company that performed six estimates this year. Many of us were doing six estimates a day and closing at an acceptable rate with no dropped pants. Your logic is flawed. You are enough of a data junkie that I know you understand this intellectually. You are making your business decisions based on emotion (the fact that you find the paint business to be despicable, in which case, I dont care what your secret strategy or experiment is, take it of the darn van and website, its not for you), and that is not a good business approach.

Murder the van out complete.

Get rid of the factory graphics.

Paint the grill,headlight bezel and wheels flat black.Even better find some rockstar rims and really be pimpin.

post-306-137772289769_thumb.jpg

Edited by squirtgun