Sign in to follow this  
anduter

Ready Seal 2009 drying time is longer then before?

Question

We use Ready Seal for last 5 years and very happy with this product. But there is one thing we had noticed in last summer, it seems like it's drying slower then before.

This is a deck we complete using RS Dark Red in few hours before we got some light rain over night. Thanks to great RS support we easily fixed this:

[ATTACH]14846[/ATTACH]

Also, we got a few deck where RS was wet on the deck after a week.

Did anyone start having similar problems in last season, or it's just our bad luck?

Thanks,

post-3035-137772305302_thumb.jpg

10 answers to this question

Andre,

We use a lot of Ready Seal on many species of wood. I did not notice any change in the product last year, or actually for the past 8 years. They did change their mildewcide formulation a while back, and some commented that it smelled "better". I personally did not notice a difference.

I had one deck that dried slow but I blame conditions. This was a deck that we fought to get dry enough to Ready Seal. When we did, it rained the next day...normally not a problem but this one seemed to push the stain off as if the wood drew moisture up from the bottom like a wick and pushed some sealer off the surface. I know it is not supposed to and maybe those areas were not dry enough (cannot test everywhere). This was an old cedar deck that had started to rot from the underside. We spent a full day replacing wood. Not going to be a big deal. We got this job as a referral so they saw what we could normally do. We will touch this up next month during spring maintenance.

I have seen this phenomenon as well but not with Ready Seal, since we do not use it. I do not know what the humidity levels in your area have been like and the overall amount of rain you have gotten, but I have to wonder if they have effected coatings in general?

Beth

Andre,

They did change their mildewcide formulation a while back, and some commented that it smelled "better". I personally did not notice a difference.

Are you kidding me Rick? :) The old stuff absolutely wreaked compared to the new formula.

Are you kidding me Rick? :) The old stuff absolutely wreaked compared to the new formula.

Greg,

Dead serious. After 35+ years smoking 2 packs a day, I probably cannot smell very well.