Sign in to follow this  
Aqua Pro

Freaked out now!

Question

Maybe this is the wrong forum but it gets a lot of hits. I got a call at 3:30 am this morning from a frantic customer. (my wife said she kept calling and calling until she answered the phone). When I got on the line she started quizzing me on the chems that we used to clean her deck. She said she was on route to the Vet ER, said her dog(s) were having some sort of allergic reaction and she thinks it was something we did.

I can just smell a lawsuit brewing here. 1) 5 years in bus and have never had this type of complaint. 2) Sodium Hydroxide on the spindles/rails (floor was just dirty), a little power house on floor (mild alkaline to emulsify dirt) and then neutralized with Oxilic and a rinse.

The same I do with almost every deck restor job..only this time we used very little Soh.

I'm more than just a little worried over here. Anyone else ever face this?

I don't feel like I did any thing negligent, just my job.

12 answers to this question

Did you see any food or water bowls around the deck? Chew toys? There is a chance that some of the SH got on those and the dog either drank some water or chewed on the toy. I've never had that happen. It's probably just coincidence. If the homeowner calls you and blames you, I would get the Vet's number and call them to find exactly what they told the homeowner. If it doesn't sound right to you, I would call another vet and ask them some questions. Good luck.

The only way I can see anything like that happening if through means already described (contaminated water bowl near deck, etc). If that's not the case, I wouldn't worry about it to much. It would cost them way more money then they would want to spend to attempt to prove that you were at fault some how.

Never underestimate people and how they react to their pets. I mean, look at the *****...

Now the Iron Maiden is going to come along and slap my hands and edit it, but I thought I was funny.

WHACK!

And about the dog, I would get an independent opinion from another vet, and be ready to use it. The area was neutralized I see no harm, but having another pro ready to back you up can't hurt.

Beth

Oxalic is very bad for dogs and cats. They might have licked it up. Cats love the stuff. I always ask if they have pets and don't let them out until deck is dry.

*WHEW* - This lady finally called me back today...after repeated attempts at contacting her..she called me with a ;-0 Yawn in her voice. She was sleeping all day. Meanwhile I'm having coniption fits. I happened to be on the phone with my insurance agent at the time. The verdict, she said that the vet said that the reaction was to a recent vaccination that the dog had.

She laughed when I told her I had been concerned all day about the dog's welfare and lazily apppologizedd for not getting back to me sooner (after calling me at 3:30 am frantic you would think a courtesy call to say all is ok would have been in order.)

PS- Insurance man said A) It would have been covered B) Would not have raised my rates and C) (in respect to the suggestion that I get a disclaimer waiver for pets) "What are you going to do? Get a waiver for every possible thing that could go wrong? You will end up making the customer so scared they will never hire you. There are two things to consider, the probable and the possible. Cover your self on the probable in writing and quit worrying about the possible..the list is too long"

Makes sense, and ps- I have a fairly consistent list of do's/dont's, customer responsible for, I'm responsible etc etc on the back of every workorder and ALWAYS put in writing things that look peculiar or out of place to set the expectaion..IE Rust pitting on 25 year old aluminum siding will not come off with a power wash/clean.

Allergic reactions with dogs on a neutralized rinsed deck has never been brought up in any clase, round table or discussion that I have ever been a part of and in hindsight was apparently not an issue this time around either.

Anyway, I hate it when people don't follow up with posts they started and really just wanted to fill everyone in on the end result.

-Tom