Sign in to follow this  
Beth n Rod

What sealer(s) are you using in 2010?

What sealer(s) are you using in 2010?  

107 members have voted

1. 1. What sealer(s) are you using in 2010?

• Flood
    • Sikkens
    • Olympic
    • Behr
    • Cabots
    • Armstrong Clark
    • Ready Seal
    • Extreme Solutions (WT, WR, TO)
    • Wolman
    • Sherwin Williams
    • ABR
    • Defy
    • TWP
    • Wood Defender
    • Penofin
    • Messmers
    • Other (discuss in thread)

Question

18 answers to this question

We used WT yesterday, and next we will be using Ben Moore Semi Solid . We are not thrilled with any sealer on ipe , only ones we have not tried on ipe are Ready Seal or AC.

This deck had cedar rails and ipe decking , painted trim. We used WT but not thrilled...

post-3809-137772320043_thumb.jpg

Plan and simple, Ipe is a wood that should not be stained. If a stain last more than a year? Too much was put on and causes other issues. Understanding this wood and how it functions in the weathering process and how much stain doesn't penetrate this wood makes it a never ending maintenance nightmare !! Small decks are not that bad to maintain but large decks are a pain in the arsenal. Understanding how a sealer works on this wood is very important on how you maintain it. The more aggressive a sealer is on trying to make a finish stick and last causes more problems in the future. I can go on and on about this wood because I maintain a lot of it and came up with the Ready Seal method of staining it. I also came up with using the Ready Seal/ Wood Tux combo on it. Which worked great until WT made changes. Wood Tux also came up with a version similar to the combo ? I also have had minor success cutting the solid content of products and adding Boiled linseed . Works better than any other product on the market! I love to hate this WOOD and call it U-PAY !!

This wood changes and your opinion will change about caring for it as you age with it !! I have had 10 calls on this wood that are all nightmare strips this year all because of sealer choice and not understanding the wood. It's that simple! And the main reason is getting known as the U-PAY fix-it guru. I hate this wood, just clean it and enjoy the whitish grey color..........................

Armstrong Clark is my favorite, but a very close second are the Olympic Max Toners. They are similar in appearance, application and even some colors. Of course, I only ever get to see PT pine. I have a few ipe's that I clean, but I've never had a request for (and I'm not crazy enough to offer) staining.

Thanks for your words of wisdom on U-PAY, 99% of all our u-pay wood deck customers want there deck sealed so we give the customer what they want or try to. I could not agree with you more about about U-PAY wood. Going to try AC on my next one, have not tried Ready Seal yet maybe next time.

John, is that the 550 voc or 250 voc version of Omax toner that you use, I'm presuming its he 550?

As I recall, this year's is a little lower, 525 I think. They changed the design of the can/label and the VOC's a slightly lower. I have been meaning to pick some up when I've traveled through Maryland (they have the lower VOC stuff), but keep forgetting.

We have a few more u-pay wood jobs coming up, going to try AC Cedar Semi tried a sample on both ipe and pt liked how it applied, dried and the finish. These photos are a fir deck we did; we used floor sanders to remove finish was quite a job.

post-3809-13777232049_thumb.jpg

post-3809-137772320411_thumb.jpg

I think from now on I am going to stick with RS or Olympic. Tried the A/C and was not happy with it. I had to clean it about 6 months after applying it due to mold and my house wash mix stripped the stuff right off.

Jeff,

It appears that your house wash mix might be way to strong. Next time try soap and water, or better yet, have the home owner wash their deck. The mold is most probably growing above the stain. People wash their cars and kitchen floors, why not their decks. Our stains are designed to be easily removed by chemicals and pressure washing. Most guys like this aspect. I would be pleased to talk to you about your situation should you choose to call.

Many thanks for trying our stains,

Jake Clark, Pres.

1 209 541 6579 cell

Oly Max Toners can be removed with a strong housewash mix. Having a stain that is durable, but easy to clean is a plus. Any time I wash a house with a stained deck, I wet the deck and usually wash it. Chem tip to apply and rinse.

Thank you for the reply Jake, I will take you up on your offer to call. I very well could have done something wrong. I just have never seen a stain strip off so easily. As far as letting the homeowner was their own deck, that would mean less money in my pocket, and these days you gotta take what you can get.

Hello Jeff,

What you did is not necessarily wrong but should be modified with our stain line. All stains behave differently. I would be pleased to talk to you about cleaning and appllication methods. As a matter of fact, I had a very informative conversation with Ken Fenner this afternoon. We covered quite a few different topics. This is how we learn at A/C so we can supply the stains that you want in the field. Manufactures and applicaters should be a team.

Jeff, I look forward to your call and anyone else who might wish to contribute.

Many thanks,

Jake

1 209 541 6579 cell