Sign in to follow this  
newlook

Hurricane Charley

Question

I am sure that the majority of our fellow power washers in Florida are probably without electricity due to the devasting Hurricane that is playing major havoc in the region.

Wanted to let them know that our thoughts and prayers are with them during this difficult time. We pray that each and everyone of them are able to recover as soon as possible and get back to squirting water.

Keep them in your prayers folks!

23 answers to this question

Hey, we're fine! Some folks in Port Charlotte got hit hard, but for the most part, it wasn't nearly as bad as it could have been. We got a steady rain here all day, until about 2:30pm...and then nothing. No real impact from the storm at all...which is funny since it was supposed to pass more or less directly over our house, based on NOAA tracking models.

We are starting to catch a little of it now, but it is nothing compared to some of the storms we had over the past month or so. My prayers are for those in Fort Myers and the others that were greatly affected over on the Gulf Side.

My thoughts and prayers go out to everybody in Florida where it was a catagory 4. It's on it's way to my area now in southeastern NC but last report said it should only be a catagory 1 or even as low as a tropical storm. We're supposed to have heavy rain for today and tomorrow here.

ive lived in tampa bay for about 19 years now. never got hit by a hurricane, just grazed. this one was serious and was supposed to hit us dead on. highest ever level of evacuation. spent all morning friday helping neighbors board up and get ready.

lots of people wnet to Orlando to ride it out, and guess what? went right over Orlando. we ended up with about 1/2 inch of rain and no wind.

Its funny, but a lot of people are dissapointed that it didnt hit us. But after seeing the pictures of Punta Gorda, they realize these things really arent a joke. I feel for the people who got hit.

thanks for your thoughs guys.

But you know, as bad as hurricanes are, they rarely do as much damage as tornadoes or floods in the midwest or earthquakes in CA

We got hit last year with a hurricane and it's no fun.Houston is not on the coast but we get tons of rain adn tornados.

My house was flooded a few yrs back when only a Tropical storm Allison hit and camped out over us for 3 days.We got 33 inches of rain in those days I've never seen that much rain ever!

We have two more on the way the closest is due to hit Cuba in a couple of days. Of course who knows what it will really do. Like Jon Chapman said, Charley was supposed to hit Tampa, go through the vacinity of Gainsville(oneness's area) and exit the eastside of Florida right through the Jacksonville area where I am. I guess you could say that we all dodged a bullet on this one.

Excuse me name stealer, ER sorry Mr. Chapman I happen to enjoy a little Shake, Rattle and rolling!

But then I am a product of the Rock n Roll era.

And to top it off I love a walk on the wild side, would love to be up front and close to that sort of weather and no I do not have a death wish but we just don't get stuff like there here.

We did have some thunderstorms yesterday and power kept flickering off so we shut down our computers.

I am glad your all safe and warm with little or no damage.

Hope the rest of you Florida pressure washers check in and let us know how you faired?

I live here in Key West Florida and we were very lucky that Charley didn't totally wipe us off the map! The Southwest area of Florida is devastated! They are pulling bodies from damaged homes on a daily basis now! These people can use your prayers. All I can say is if there were Pressure Washers in Port Charlotte they probably will have to start to rebuild there business all over. The destruction is the same I saw when I went to Homestead the day after Andrew blew through. We are bracing for an active Hurricane Season, looks like more on there way! Copgib

Glad to see that you folks in Florida are starting to "check in" and that you are okay.

Jon/Alan - I will be in your neck of the woods (Long Beach) today - Sunday for one night. Staying at the Hilton near the waterfront. We are catching a cruise ship on Monday for 4 days. Call me on my cell if you want to hook-up sometime this afternoon for an hour or so. 707.812.3702

Jon/Alan - I will be in your neck of the woods (Long Beach) today - Sunday for one night. Staying at the Hilton near the waterfront. We are catching a cruise ship on Monday for 4 days. Call me on my cell if you want to hook-up sometime this afternoon for an hour or so. 707.812.3702

Carlos,

Todays not gonna happen, you are only about an hour South though. Maybe next time. Have fun on that cruise.

Carlos how about a little advance notice so we can plan ahead?

Would have been able to had I known, can change some things around on weekends.

Enjoy the trip, the slots, food, dancing, on shore time and relaxing around the pools.

I live in Kissimmee, one of the hardest areas hit in Central Florida. My house survived, but about 4 of my neighbors lost their entire roofs. We have no power at home (I'm at my p/t job at disney) and arent supposed to have power for another week. I've been through a few hurricanes in my time, but this one is the worst by far. Should be up and washing by mid week.

Hang in there Mathew!

Well I was working at my resturaunt job when it came through... Wasn't too bad (catagory 1) when it got to us. had to work til the power went out then we shut down. All my co-cowrkers were moving their cars away from the light posts but I left mine in hopes it would get smashed and I could get a new truck... No luck there though. Lot's of trees and signs down in my area but nothing like Florida. I lost power for a day and a half but that's what the grill is for. Catagory 1 wasn't bad for my first hurricane but I am not looking forward to anything bigger than 2.

Keith,

Heard Disney was top-notch in the way they treated their customers who were stuck in the resorts during the storm. Radio show host Neal Boortz was there during the storm and is giving rave reviews of how great everything was and is actually recommending that people stay there during the next hurricane. Glad to hear you made it through....sorry to hear about your neighbors.

I think that next time one is forcast to be so close, I will prepare a little more carefully. didnt like what I saw in those pictures.

I just realized how appropo my avatar is.

I think that next time one is forcast to be so close, I will prepare a little more carefully. didnt like what I saw in those pictures.

I just realized how appropo my avatar is.

I agree there...The forecast track early Friday had it coming straight through this area...basically over my house. We weren't too worried...the house is build very solid, and there are areas we can go that are protected in case things got really nasty...but we figured hey, a category 1 is no big deal. However, had it stayed on track and come ashore where it was supposed to, it may well have still been a category 4 when it hit our house...We're only 40 miles inland. It may even have strengthened further in the 2-3 more hours it would have stayed over water on it's way here. In retrospect, we should have prepared much more. We didn't have anything boarded up or anything. We'd likely have lost some windows and had at minimum a good bit of water damage coming in through the windows. A lesson learned for next time.

Jon/Alan -

Just got back from the "cruise". Long Beach is a very beautiful city. Traffic nightmare trying to get there but overall had a wonderful one night there. There was a Jazz Festival over the weekend there.

Cruise was great. Did some snorkeling on Catalina Island. Slots were very good to me and the views at the pool were awesome. My eyes kept on wondering...good thing I had the sunglasses on or my wife would of picked up on my eye movement :)

Yea, I was late on the notification to you about me being down there. Maybe next time.