Sign in to follow this  
Firedkm

A big decision but sad one

Question

I have decided its time to hang up my hat in this business. The last several years working 7 days a week and no family time has taken a toll on myself , my wife and kids. I stopped doing the thing I really enjoy like going out hunting, taking my son out riding our quads in the woods and even my volunteer time as a firefighter in my town.

Having to work a full-time job and also run this business has sucked the life out of me and its not worth the extra money in my pocket to neglect my family priorities and well being.

I have made alot of friends on the boards and I will miss alot of you (some more than others:o ). We all have learned alot from each other and thats what makes the boards great and I will miss it.

All of my equipment will be sold to help pay off some of the business debt that has been carried, so look for more info later on this week for some really good deals on great equipment.

18 answers to this question

Dale,

We'll all be sorry to see you leaving the business. I personally have learned much from you however, your family is the obvious choice when you have to make a decision like this. Our family was the direct reason for us getting into this business as Roger was 2nd shift for the past 12 years and missed half of our kids growing up.

We wish you all the best in your "new" life. Stop by and tell us about it - Enjoy!

Celeste

I haven't been on this board very long and don't really know any of you. But what I do know is that your decision is a tough one and I have a lot respect for you. Good luck and enjoy.

Pat

Dale,

Im glad you can see where your priorities should be. I dont know how you guys that work full time and also run this type of business can do it. Your input has been invaluable and you will be missed.

You gotta do what you gotta do. I guess that quitting the full time job and washing instead was not an option.

I work full time at another job as well, so I know that it can be really tough to make time for family. Part of you says you need to make money for the family and the other part says that while making money, you aren't with them.

Good luck and Take care!

Best of Luck Dale and I can see your delemma since my work life is similiar to yours. Its tough to work 2 jobs and at times I feel like leaving one of them. Actually I can retire from one and still do the other but its hard to walk away from the $$$. Still like you say family life does come first.

What saves my butt is that I can pretty much make my own schedule on my fulltime job so it can work side by side with my Powerwashing job. If I couldn't do this then I probably wouldn't be in business today.

Still your decision is a wise one and that can only be respected by us that do hold down 2 jobs. Also we all know that the more you make the more you tend to spend so sometimes you think "What is the point". It takes guts to do what you did and for that I tip my hat to ya.

Best of luck and drop by once in awhile if you wan't to see what the old gang is up to.

Take care...........

What have I started here by retiring?

Dale your right, your health comes first, family second (some say the other way around) and business 3rd.

You have been of great service here and you will be missed but like others said before me stop in once in a while and just say Hi friends how's it going?

Take care and allow a bit of time for the family to get to know you again, then you will ask how I missed them while I was holding that hot wand:)

Dale

Sorry to hear you are having to give up the biz dude.I understand you have to do what you have to do.

From i've read you sure knew this biz and it's hard to see someone leave it that cared and had the knowledge you have.

One good thing it will always be there when you are able to return P/washing and staining again.

Hope everything works out for you Dale

Take it easy :cool:

Quit the other job? Go for it! Best of luck..

Why would I quit a GREAT paying job working for the phone company w/ fully paid benefits, 401k and pension??? No way would I dream of that. (been thought of doing that:) )

Thank you everybody for the kind words and encouragement. Today has been a great day so far. I went and saw Dannys' soccor game (I missed the first 3 allready), Chased Lyndsey around the yard for awhile and dusted off my bow for hunting season!!!!!

Try as you well James he is not going to do that!

What he is going to do is find out how out of shape he is chasing his kids around, probably why he has not posted again today!

I was faced with the same decision too......couldn't keep up with what turned into two full time jobs. However, I knew my day job career was in trouble. The company I worked for was losing a lot of contracts, and eventually I would have been unemployed, so I jumped ship before that happened to me.

Now I can go to all my kids games and outings. I make my own schedule.

You always could keep some power washing stuff. Only accept the work you want, limited, and be sure it pays what it's worth.

Best of luck to you, whichever endeavor you chose.

Try as you well James he is not going to do that!

What he is going to do is find out how out of shape he is chasing his kids around, probably why he has not posted again today!

I am out of shape. I had to take a nap that day!!!!:whoops:

My decision was made to get out completely and do no power washing stuff except for my own needs. I am keeping only one OLD washer and getting rid of everything else. I still have to take the time to go through stuff but I do have a member here coming for a visit to buy most of the big stuff (I hope!).

As far as differences, thats what make these boards great when we can disagree on our practices and fight it to teeth and bone as long as its civil!:whoops:

Most of the time its civil but it can get out of hand, but that just makes it very entertaining.