Sign in to follow this  
Lou Beach

Truck questions

Question

Hey Folks,

I have a couple of questions regarding pickup trucks.

First, I am in a quandry regarding the size truck to get, the 1500's vs. the 2500's. I plan to haul a PW trailer with a hot water machine, a 225 gal water tank, doulble axle trailer. Weight of the trailer without water probably around 3,500 pounds. I do not plan to haul water in the water tank and if I do it will be about 1/3 full or less.

Do I need a Dodge 2500, Ford F250 or Chev 2500 to haul this equipment or can I get by with a 1500 as in Ford F150, Dodge 1500, ect.?

Second question, and this is a loaded one, which truck brand do you recommend?

My auto mechanic says anything but a Dodge truck, but I have talked to people with Dodge Rams and they swear by them, but I have also read some stuff about Dodge's that arent very good. So appreciate input on the size truck to purchase to haul the powerwash rig and also appreciate any comments on the various truck manufacturers.

Thanks

34 answers to this question

Lou get another mechanic, really as Dodge diesel 2500 and 3500 are the most popular for towing RVs, Ford is 2nd and you will be very hard pressed to find any Chevy towing a large RV trailer or 5th wheel.

Go for either the Dodge or Ford diesel but be forewarned Ford mileage sucks compared to Dodge.

I have a Ford now and best mileage is 13.5 towing or not towing, Dodge Cummins gets 17 plus.

You do need at least a 2500 model and if you don't want to spend close to $40 G find a late model low mileage one.

I know a few guys here will disagree with me on he Chevy but if you made a poll asking which of those brands they use Ford, then Dodge will win.

Diesel is made for towing heavy loads, they require much less maintanence and the cost of fuel is the same as unleaded.

Did you find a new mechanic yet?

Jon,

thanks for the input. My mechanics are very good, they just don't like Dodges based on their experiences with them.

I will NOT be spending anywhere near 40K for a truck. 15K or lower for a used truck is my budget. If I can find a used Dodge Diesel for that amount I would go for it, but how bout a Ford F250 or Dodge 2500 or a Chevy Silverado 2500 in that price range?

I am starting out so I don't need or want the best of the best. Something that will work for a couple of years that I can get for about 15K is what I am looking for.

I am looking at trucks under 50,000 miles, model years 1999 to 2003 that will tow a PW rig.

I take it that a 1500 is definately not a good vehicle for towing a PW rig?

We pull our rig with a 97 Ram 1500 - we're wearing commercial tags rated for 11000 lbs - We have a dual axle trailer with a hot water washer, 325 gal tank (that, yes, we have pulled full - don't say you won't ever do it 'cause you will) 2 - 25 gal chem tanks, tool box, 2 hose reels and a truck bed fulll of a bunch of other stuff. She does just fine. We are upgrading to 6 ply tires. Downside to Dodges is that they habitually have problems with their factory transmissions. We had ours rebuilt - no problems since.

Now granted, Roger WANTS a bigger truck but for the purpose and price you are looking at, a plain ole Ram 1500 will suffice.

Celeste

I've got a perfect 93 chevy 1500, 350 ci that runs like a top with 83 thousand miles on it. I pull a single axle with a hot hydrotek and a tank and some other stuff on it, camper shell, 2 ladders, and the back always full of something. It pulls just fine. I have seen a Ford 150 pull a PW trailer about twice the size of mine too- works just fine. Overkill is ok though as long as you're having fun doing it.

I used to be a Ford man until I bought this used Chevy, I'll never go back, except maybe a diesel. Nick

Check with the manufacturer about the transmission package specifications.

All said and done, the engine may be tough enough but towing a trailer can put you on the side of the road.

Another thing to concider is that if concidering a 1500, F-250, or 2500, is that truck has a transmission cooler installed. This helps to keep the trannie oil from over heating when pulling heavy loads especially in hill prone areas.

Rod~

Regarding Jon's comments on fuel economy, he forgot to mention that the Dodge Cummins is a turbo charged 6 cylinder, while the Ford is a naturally aspirated 8. Of course that matters.

I've had four different Chevy trucks, 1500's, and have had no problems towing at all. My hot water trailer with a full 330 gallons of water weighs about 6000#. Sure I'd like to have the 2500, but at this point I see no need unless a super deal comes around.

I lease my trucks, and the last three Chevys I've had have not had to go in for warranty work, other than a couple little things like a horn burned out. It wasn't too bad without the horn though, I have a finger that replaced it. Seriously though, no power train or major component failures at all. LIKE A ROCK!

Everybody has their opinions and will likely tell you all the bad things they've "heard" , but no experienced first hand. I say buy what you like and what fits your budget.

the ford powerstroke is turbo charded as well, it is an 8 cylinder but the deisel is turbo charged. your tranny is a big part of your towing i have a 7.3 ford and an old 96 cummins bolth are good the ford has more power then the dodge but the dodge does get better fuel millage the fords tranny is its week part i have an outomatic and i put a low stall converter in it as well as a shift kit really helped alot i know a few people that have had to replace there tranny with the ford. i you do go with the ford and dont mind shifting gears go with a manual they are alot more durabale then the automatic............. if you can go with a diesel they are way more durable then a gas and you will get better milage you will save in the long run !!! well this is my 2 cents iam sure there are outher oppininiouns

Dan Baxter

Love my ford and also love my 454 chevy with 5th wheel hook up for my trailer and the guts or gas card to pull my trailers in the hills LOL Also the extra room for all my office stuff in the back seat.

I've heard over and over again that the Chevy Duramax is really good. Personally I have a 98 Chevy 1500 Silverado and have had no problems pulling my trailer. And that's with altitude (I live at 6500 ft.) and mountain driving. Granted, I don't have a 225 gal tank or a double axle trailer to pull either. I believe the towing capacity is 5000 lbs. so it may not be big enough for what you are trying to do.

Being in business for one year now I have only needed to haul water ONE time so, for now, my 110 gal tank works fine (and I'm still under a 1000#'s with a full tank). I will be buying a 15' deisel box truck next year and will be going to a 300 gal tank for commercial work that I'll be shooting for. I average over 500 miles a week and that will be one of the main reasons for the diesel. Can't decide if I want that Izuzu with the flat front (kind of scary) or the GMC with a little bit of a front end. Decisions, decisions...

post-355-137772139219_thumb.jpg

Ah Tony that was not fair!

I won't go to the which is better since I did say we each have our reasons for liking one over another but I will say on Dodge and Ford the 2500 tranny is heavy duty and cannot be compared to the 1500 trannies.

I really cannnot speak for Chevy/GMC since I am not a fan of their trucks and have never driven one.

Lou if you do enough researching you can find one in your price range/mileage range, search both the Internet and all local papers.

How far are you willing to drive, take a bus or fly for one is another thing you might consider.

Celeste I had a 97 Dodge 2500 diesel and I am hard on trucks yet never had a problem with the tranny, now the brakes are another story. First 1000 miles a full set under warrantry, 2nd thousand again, all told 5 complete sets of brakes in under 10,000 miles.

My 2002 Ford has 54,000 and just replaced brakes for the first time, that speaks highly of the quality of whatever Ford uses for brakes. Now if I can only figure out why the door sounds like it is coming off every time I hit a small bump!

To all that drive 1500 trucks regardless of brand, if your going up or down hill take it out of overdrive, and depending on how much weight your towing use 2nd gear as a brake. I know you've all heard it before but figured I would remind you.

My 2002 Ford has 54,000 and just replaced brakes for the first time, that speaks highly of the quality of whatever Ford uses for brakes. Now if I can only figure out why the door sounds like it is coming off every time I hit a small bump

You have a loose body mount. Go to the diesel stop and do a search, and they will tell you which one and how to fix it.

As for trucks, I prefer Fords. I also prefer the diesels. I do have a 2004 that is gas though that one of my guys drives. It seems to be a pretty nice truck. It does run good, and I have had no problems with it.

If I was you, I would find a good auction that sells old Fleet vehicles, and take your pick. A lot of times they are in excellent shape, and you can get them for a good price. They are also very often diesels. When it comes to trucks you pick your poison.

I would not get a 1/2 ton truck under any circumstances. I had a 93 that was toast at 70,000 miles. It just could not handle the towing and the weight of the trailer. No more 1/2 tons for me.

Scott

Just what I thought, LOL

In this corner we have the 1500 crowd, and in the other corner we have the 2500 crowd.

Are trucks not one of the more devisive subjects to get opinions on?

Some use the 1500 and have no problems, some swear that you can't use a 1500 to pull a trailer.

What I think is that a 1500 will not last as long as a 2500 pulling the same weight. It appears the 1500's burn out after awhile if you are consistenly pulling a heavy rig.

I still don't know what I am getting. I think whatever I can get the best deal on I am going to go with.

It is one of those things that you believe in, until you try something different. A 1500 will pull the trailer, but like you said, it will not last as long. If you plan on flipping trucks every couple of years, go with the 1500. Personally, I like to be able to pull a larger trailer, and 450 gallons of water, fully loaded, and not worry about it. I have a few regular accounts that I do that I must bring my own water on. Sometimes 450 gallons is not enough. So I will stay with my F-250 and trailer.

I tired to post an old photo of my truck and trailer, but I could not get it to go. I will try a little later on my other computer. It might be saved on there.

Scott

Lou I think what Scott said about finding a used service vehicle makes good sense in your case, a new paint job and tune up and you got a good truck.

Now another way to look at things is which will be more trouble free in the long run, 1500 with weaker tranny or a 2500 with heavy duty tranny.

I leave out the engine on purpose since it seems the tranny is the problem on the 1500.

In the end it really comes down to what you can afford and which vehicle you feel best driving since any of them will get you from point A to point B.

Hey Jon,

People keep suggesting the service fleet auctions but I can never find any in my area. I stopped at a local enterprise rental place and they said they put all their vehicles on their website for resale.

I have yet to find an auction dealing with the fleet trucks.

In my case I already owned the 1500 years before I started the business so I went with what I had. I never said it was my first choice, just that I haven't had any problems with it. I too would go with a 2500 minimum if I was going to pull a trailer full time. Like I said before though, I will be buying a box truck next season and won't have to worry about pulling one.I'd like a new truck as well but it looks like the business will get one first. Maybe 2006

I have always had good luck with Fords, but I like the newer Dodge too. They are all good and any of them can have problems. Just try to find one that suits your needs and budget.

Remember, when buying used, there are a lot of other factors to consider other than brand - previous owner, maintenance records, vehicle history, etc.

For towing the 3/4 tons are better than the 1/2 tons, but for a small trailer you should be ok. Just don't overload the trailer or go beyond the ratings of your towing equipment (hitch included). Trailer brakes are a plus too.

But what do we know - What really matters is that you "wear" tags rated for 11000 lbs. - right Celeste:rotfl:

Just a tip on Dodge....kick the overdrive off at all times. I have a 97 3500 with a 12 ft box. It doesnt have the diesel it has the 360 gas engine. With the overdrive off I get 13 mpg. and have never had a transmission problem with 98000 miles on it so far.

Andy

I work at a Chevrolet Dealership as a Salesman and as far as the Chevy goes you cannot beat the Duramax with the Allison Trans Combo. At the dealership we cannot keep them. We have them come in all the time and usually they are not there a day before they are sold. The last one we got in lasted a whole two hours from the time it was backed off the truck till it went off the lot sold. The problem with it is you will not find one for 15000.00 used they hold there value better than Ford or Dodge on the resale market. Ford has its transmission problems but they are a tough truck. The Dodge is a good truck but will have absolutly no resale value you would be upside down on it even after 3 yrs on a 5 yr loan. If it were me looking for a used truck for that price and just had to have a diesle I would find a older Ford with a manual transmission. Dodge would be my second choice and Chevy last on this price range. The Chevy 6.5 and even older 6.2 really suck. Yes I said it they suck but the Duramax solved that problem for Chevy around here we have tractor pulls and the farmers pull with there Farm trucks. The last two years a Chevy has won first place with the Duramax and Allison Combo.

Morgan explain something to me please since your comment about you can't beat the Duramax diesel, why are Dodge then Ford the choice for RVers?

I have yet to see one Chevy duramax towing a 5th wheel or rv trailer down the highway.

Not saying it is not a good motor but truly not one Rvers prefer and believe me they do know which is best.

Remy and I had a 27 foot 5th wheel and Dodge Cummins did the grunt work, if we were to buy another I would sell the Ford and go back to Dodge.

This is not intended as an arguement but as an honest question, why don't they use the Chevy for RV towing?

But what do we know - What really matters is that you "wear" tags rated for 11000 lbs. - right Celeste:rotfl:

I simply stated that our tags are rated for 11000 lbs for the point that our truck is capable of doing so - I for one would not be stupid enough to obtain a tag that (a) was not an appropriate weight for my vehicle just to be saying that I could and (b) was inaccurate information through the DMV which could cost me in the future.

Clearly what "matters" is that you have a vehicle equipped with what you need to do your job safely. As it has been said earlier (by other MEN) a 1500 will do just fine but primarily may not last as long as a 2500 or 3500. I believe Lou is looking for a starter within a budget. This is exactly how we viewed our 1500 and after one year in business, we can happily say that we have NO company debt which means that in the next year, heck yeah Roger will be getting a bigger truck to pull with and I will still be driving the 1500.

Celeste

Morgan explain something to me please since your comment about you can't beat the Duramax diesel, why are Dodge then Ford the choice for RVers?

I have yet to see one Chevy duramax towing a 5th wheel or rv trailer down the highway.

Not saying it is not a good motor but truly not one Rvers prefer and believe me they do know which is best.

Remy and I had a 27 foot 5th wheel and Dodge Cummins did the grunt work, if we were to buy another I would sell the Ford and go back to Dodge.

This is not intended as an arguement but as an honest question, why don't they use the Chevy for RV towing?

Jon I have never taken your comments as trying to start something so dont ever worry about stepping on my toes I know were you are shooting from. There are several answers to your question. Ford is #1 seller in the North, Chevy is the number one seller in the South, Dodge is the number one seller out west these statistics are from the dealerships not from me.

The thing with the Chevy is that they have not flooded the market with them they are actually hard to get ask anybody looking for one right now. We as a dealership cannot even trade for them with other dealerships because they require a Duramax back. This being said we DO NOT negotiate on the price here they bring full sticker price or you go on down the road without one. Fords and Dodges are much easily obtained and that would be why you see more of them. Around here all the farmers are on waiting list to get them that is why they only last 2 to 3 hours at our dealership. Memphis is out of them and we have a 300 mile radius that we can draw from and guess what their are no new 04 Models within 300 miles of Memphis at this time. I like all three of the Name brand models but when it comes to comfort I like the Chevy better. I sit in all of them from time to time and the seats in the Dodge and Ford are not as comfortable to me they are to stiff.

APlus, you lease your trucks? I've heard that you can write off 90% of your lease, but I've heard many different things. What are the pro's and con's to leasing. I've been contemplating leasing on of those nice F150's, but the way I destroy my trucks I'm not sure if it's worth it.