Sign in to follow this  
C&S Property Services

Tell us some of your accidents?

Was just thinking about how many go without accidents. For myself, being in this industry for right at 10 years I will say a few of mine.

Doing a deck once and got too close to the steps and down 10 steps I went on my keister. Funny part was I was sore but not hurt. The customer came out to see the job and asked what was all over my back (deck stripper and stain). He was an insurance company owner so you can guess I didnt want to tell the truth but I did and we both actually laughed at it.

Now this one was a classic. Couple years back the filter and line from the tanks to the machine iced up. I figured no problem this will be easy. The only problem I had was that the ice was so bad I couldnt get the filter off. Out comes the blowtorch. It works so dont laugh yet. Just be safe with what you are doing. So I got the metal strainer free of ice but being in a rush just grabbed the metal strainer with my hand. 2nd degree burns will make you realize that isnt ice anymore its heat...LOL.

Yes I laugh at these and hopefully no one has horror stories. But these are fun to share in my opinion.

When I was new to this field and had very little experience I blew a hole through the tip of my left index finger, right through the bottom and out the top. The machine was shut off but I didn't think of the burst pressure still in the line. Wanting to clean the dirt off a chemical tip I thought I'd just let water flow from the gun and rinse off the tip. I held the tip in my left hand and pulled the trigger with my right hand. That was almost 20 years ago but I have never forgotten to release the pressure since then.

Working solo slid on the top of a deck being stripped and bumped my rear all the way down the stairs landing on the rocks below.

Before I had a trailer, loaded a 4gpm belt drive machine the wrong way and have the evidence of a giant burn scar on my left bicep.

Running a gun with no lance to wash the back side of a deck railing, and from reflex I grabbed where the lance normally was to steady the gun. No lance there and ripped right into my pinky finger...lots of blood on the way scrambling down the ladder

Sent from my BlackBerry 8530 using Tapatalk

I was in long island 12-13 years ago doing apartments on a lift when a sink hole opened up and the lift fell in it as I was in the basket. I had another guy with me and we were in a corner and the window at the top of the fire escape was open so I swung the lift over and he got out to close the window. I was in the basket but was hanging over the rail on the fire escape when the front wheels went in the hole. I was about 35 ft. High. The basket was extended out and as the wheels went down the hole the basket went down fast and slammed into the ground. As it went down I grabbed onto the rail and was hanging, I was able to pull myself up. It was really scary. 3 hours later after they came out and we got the lift out of the hole I was back up to finish the job. If the back wheels went into the hole i would have been slammed into the ground the other way. I was lucky.

I was in long island 12-13 years ago doing apartments on a lift when a sink hole opened up and the lift fell in it as I was in the basket. I had another guy with me and we were in a corner and the window at the top of the fire escape was open so I swung the lift over and he got out to close the window. I was in the basket but was hanging over the rail on the fire escape when the front wheels went in the hole. I was about 35 ft. High. The basket was extended out and as the wheels went down the hole the basket went down fast and slammed into the ground. As it went down I grabbed onto the rail and was hanging, I was able to pull myself up. It was really scary. 3 hours later after they came out and we got the lift out of the hole I was back up to finish the job. If the back wheels went into the hole i would have been slammed into the ground the other way. I was lucky.

RSUDS, How long have you been here??????

Still no signature???????

Please complete your signature line, PLEASE!!!!!!

I'm sure you have been asked before.

RSUDS, How long have you been here??????

Still no signature???????

Please complete your signature line, PLEASE!!!!!!

I'm sure you have been asked before.

I posted on my phone and it always had my signature on it before, I have posted here for years and it always had my signature on it. I do not know why it did not put it on it this time? If you look at the post I did this week you will se it on them? I'm not real happy with the slap on the butt????????

That was very strange......when I looked at the post earlier, it wasn't there but seeing it now - I can remember seeing that. Weird.

LOL - if he'd slapped you on the hand I'd ask if you wanted a kiss on the boo-boo, but I don't kiss butts :)

I posted on my phone and it always had my signature on it before, I have posted here for years and it always had my signature on it. I do not know why it did not put it on it this time? If you look at the post I did this week you will se it on them? I'm not real happy with the slap on the butt????????

I can see it just fine.

Hmmm...maybe it is a glitch in posting if you are mobile....

Beth

Look at post #4 - not there! Poor Brian :)

Yeah it's not there and in the next post it is.

Sorry if I came off like an azz. It just wasn't there.

I know he's been here for a while too.

Just doing my job. I see a gap" I get it filled.

Sig Nazi.

No foul Brian. It's there.

Wanna hear about my ankle, and a chain saw? Or my tibia and a chain saw? Or my thigh and a chain saw? How about when Bil got his saw hung up. He was taking the power head off,when the tree started to drop. I grabbed Bill's shirt and yanked him backwords. Tree missed him, saw was ok too. Or the time a tree fell on my pick-up. Just a small tree, not a big dent. Wife never sat in the cab while I was cutting again. Or is this thread just for pressure washing?

I have a funny chainsaw story back when I was building my home and needed to cut several tall pines in my extra lot. I couldn't climb the tree while holding the saw so i tied a long rope to it and the other end of the rope to the beltloops to by shorts. (Being an ultra hot day in July I was "commando" style under these shorts). When I got to the top of the tree I started limbing it... one of thelimbs got caught up in the rope yanking the saw out of my hands. Gravity was firing on all eight cylinders that day which caused the saw, the rope, and my shorts to shoot straight down 70 feet to the ground. Except for my boots I had to climb down that tree naked in full view of my new neighbors. It gets worse. When I finally reached the ground I ran to the back door of my house only to find the door locked. The only way in was through the front door which is about 100 feet from a major road with cars stuck in 5 o'clock traffic.

Walking off a tile roof in Florida cleaning one with a wand back in the 80"s. Started daydreaming and forgot where I was. Back to the street and I 'm cleaning down towards the edge and just walked off. Fell in some bushes, jumped up and looked around to make sure nobody saw me cause I was so embarassed. Walked back to the ladder and back on the roof I went.

My first two years in business were horrific when I look back on it. I have learned a lot in the last 10 years and this forum has really been amazing. For about a year before I even started the business I would search this forum inside and out all day for ideas. I think I may have read something from every thread on here. Anyway as far as accidents in my first year operating part time I had to go to the emergency room for getting stripper in my eye when spraying the outside of a deck railing (had to have suction cups put on each eyeball and gallons of water pumped, My pressure washer was on wheels that first year and one time it vibrated and fell in to the deep side of a customers pool, I didnt double check the nozzle seated in the QC and shot it through glass french doors (I had the door replaced the next day), I took some jobs that were beyond my abilities and made like $5/ hr when it was all said and done just to make the customer happy. Solid deck stain strip jobs and brushing decks by hand almost killed me (haha). I also was on a very high roof by myself when the extension ladder fell from the wind. luckily I had my cell phone and called a friend who still likes to make jokes about it.

I remember one occasion when we were on a job site doing charity work. A bush had been pruned back to a stump with branches close to the ground sticking out of it, sort of like a crown, but the whole bed was covered in leaves. Rod stepped into it, and twisted his ankle and knee badly. It was enough to put him in a soft cast on the ankle and into a knee brace and on crutches.

It was not a good day.

Beth

p.s. there was the time when on a construction site this one guy offered to show him how a charge for shooting nails worked. Rod said no don't, the guy hit the charge with a pair of pliers, it went off and shot him in the stomach. We were pissed. The superintendent on the site was not happy either. Rod's shirt, and his tummy had a hole, but it was just a flesh wound. Idiot.

I remember one occasion when we were on a job site doing charity work. A bush had been pruned back to a stump with branches close to the ground sticking out of it, sort of like a crown, but the whole bed was covered in leaves. Rod stepped into it, and twisted his ankle and knee badly. It was enough to put him in a soft cast on the ankle and into a knee brace and on crutches.

It was not a good day.

Beth

QUOTE]

Been there done that. The pain is off the charts. Something similar happened to me when I was younger and I actually had to swap cars with my friend Joe. My car was a standard and his was automatic.. I couldn't push the clutch with my left foot because the pain was too much.

How long did it take Rob to get over it, a few weeks?

Walking off a tile roof in Florida cleaning one with a wand back in the 80"s. Started daydreaming and forgot where I was. Back to the street and I 'm cleaning down towards the edge and just walked off. Fell in some bushes, jumped up and looked around to make sure nobody saw me cause I was so embarassed. Walked back to the ladder and back on the roof I went.

Wow Lucky one Doug