Sign in to follow this  
Beth n Rod

Christmas trees.... which do you use?

Which type of Christmas Tree do you put up?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Which type of Christmas Tree do you put up?

• Only a real, fresh tree!
    • Artificial tree saves time, money, and trees!

Question

22 answers to this question

A pine one...LOL

Just kidding, I had to say it!

I prefer the fake ones since I'm allergic to pine trees. Unfortuanetly, my wife is a live tree fanatic and that's what we get. We all trudge out to butlers each year in the freezing cold while daddy lays on the ground.. cuts his hands on the bryers and chops the sucker down. Then we load it on the roof and tie it down with the dental floss rope they give you and drive home watching all the dead pine needles flying off the back of the van.

LOL, man that doesn't sound like much fun does it?

Well at least the caramel candy you can buy at the Butlers store makes up for the sneezing..<G>

Artificial trees are looking more and more like the real thing these days. We bought ours three years ago - I know I prefer spending the $75+ on stuff for the kids to go UNDER the tree rather than having dried up pine needles under there. (Mind you, growing up I SWORE I would never have a "fake" tree!)

We did real trees for about ten years, then got tired of cleaning up the mess. We now have one of those prelit artificials. OK I guess, I prefer a real tree, but it's not really up to me anyway.

We also have a prelit artificial tree. The best thing about it is that you don't have to spend hours each year putting the lights on the tree and taking them off. I can set the tree up in about 15 minutes and the taking it down only takes about 10 minutes. It is a huge time saver.

If I were going to use a real tree, I'd buy the lights the day after christmas for the next year, put them on and throw them away with the tree. They can be had for about $1 at dollar stores.

I'm with Henry. I do artificial because I am allergic.

When my wife and I just started dating, I lived by myself in a townhouse. She felt bad for me because I did not have a tree up, so she went out and bought me all of the ornaments, etc. eveything but the tree. I roundeed up the tree and made her decorate it with me. IT was wonderful, but I knew what I was in for...

A couple of days later I called her and was talking and she started worrying that I was sick, she felt really bad when I told her how truly allergic I was to dead pine trees. I think it lasted a total of 4 days in the house before it hit the dumpster.

The smell of a real christmas tree is GREAT, but cleaning up the mess from falling needles isn't. I choose to put up a fake tree, and light up a pine candle for the smell! :D

Having the smell and look of a real tree, and spending all night with family decorating it makes up for having the extra cleanup at the end. Pumpkin bread, spiced cider and a little bump now and then. Life is good

Like Bob, I get a cedar tree, despite my allergies and tons of needles. Have been getting off of my grandfather's old farm property since a young boy (nearly 5 decades worth). Tradition is coming to an end, as the remaining property is being developed. This year's tromp through the woods may my last nostaligic deed!

Fake prelit, saves time looking for the perfect balanced tree, keeps the house, car and my clothes from getting dirty, and saves about $100. Ours is the one that has the branches already installed and they just fold up.

The only thing easier would be if it decorated itself. Also saves on my allergies as well.

We also have a prelit artificial tree. The best thing about it is that you don't have to spend hours each year putting the lights on the tree and taking them off. I can set the tree up in about 15 minutes and the taking it down only takes about 10 minutes. It is a huge time saver.

Maybe for you. After the pre-lit goes up my wife has a 4+ hour ritual of decorating the tree...

Our last year of a real tree was about 5 years ago.

We went to a cut your own place. You know, over the river, through the woods, and all that stuff. It wasn't long before my wife locked onto a MONSTER. I tried to explain that that tree was much bigger than it looked out there in the big open field. Oh no. Nothing but that tree would do. So, we (I) began sawing through the 6" trunk... About an hour later and with much help from the lot attendants it was in the back of my Ford Ranger. Then I noticed the first thing that I found funny. That being, from the rear the entire vehicle was not visible. I would be driving a shrubbery home.

Now back at the house we (read I) took the front door off the hinges, made several futile attempts to wrap it with blankets, rope, even saran wrap to shrink it's girth. Oh well, brute force it is... That worked pretty well. That is, if you ignore the gouged door frame and lovely green scratches on both foyer walls (which are about 6ft apart).

With the tree in the house "successfully" I grab my macho tool guy tree stand, the "big beefy". The "big beefy" is a huge tree stand made of 1/8" rolled steel that weighs about 20# and has a piece of rebar for a bottom peg. I knew that one day it would be called on to hold more than a little twig of a tree, and today was that day. I drilled the required 5/8" hole in the bottom of the tree and attempted to affix the stand. It was then that I realized that the "big beefy" had met it's match. My prized tree stand would not even fit over the trunk, nor would it likely hold up the tree if it did. Off in search of a bigger "big beefy". I finally found one made out of 1/4" steel with about a 3ft leg span holding up the tree/advertisment in front of a tree lot. A bunch of negotiation (begging) and $75 later it was mine. Add another 50# to this tree...

Once the tree was upright, you begin to appreciate that 12ft is quite tall. Oh well... I beat the tree, and I have the largest tree I have ever seen in my house to boot. I'm happy again. Time to decorate. Out comes the 8ft A frame and the boxes of decorations. The bottom was decorated first, and it looked great. Granted the wall side is bare because we do not have anough decorations, but that's ok. No one ever sees that side anyway. Up the ladder I go where I learn another lesson. Lesson #3 - Christmas trees taper, and big trees taper alot. I couldn't even reach the tree because the top of the A frame ladder was about 5 feet from the tree tip. We eventually resorted to screwing a plant hook into a old pool cue tip and using it to hang decorations.

FWIW, the tree was over 12 feet tall (excluding the thin spindly twig at the top), probably weighed close to 200#, and was approximately 9ft across at the base. When I crawled under to fill the water bowl, only my legs below my knees stuck out. And I'm 6'1" tall...

Anyway, I could continue on and on about this tree from hell and the 8hr "put up the tree" party, but I've already rambled long enough already. I'll just end the story by saying that removing the tree from the house was much easier than putting it in. Too bad that I couldn't figure out how to use my sawz-all to get the tree in! :)