Sign in to follow this  
bigchaz

Ipe with Armstrong Mahogany

Question

I can't remember if I posted these pictures before, but wanted to get something other than negativity going here on TGS. This was a deck that had 3 or 4 coats of Penofin by another contractor and had turned almost black. Customer assumed that was normal and had all but forgotten how beautiful it looked until I sent here some photos of other Ipe decks we had restored.

We stripped, buffed and used Armstrong Clark Mahogany. We use a couple different stains but the Armstrong Mahogany is by far the best finish for Ipe in my opinion. I personally love the reds on Ipe, some prefer a lighter tone though.

Deck was very dry so color lightened up a hair more on the outside deck than the covered portion. The last picture was after it dried and got rained on...holds the water off really well.

post-2382-137772447676_thumb.jpg

post-2382-137772447681_thumb.jpg

post-2382-137772447687_thumb.jpg

18 answers to this question

Hey Charlie,

Nice job and a terrific wood. Ipe' is in a way almost too nice of a wood for exterior use, especially to keep finished. But not a problem if customers do not balk at yearly service!

Must be a nice change of pace from PT SYP so prevalent down south.

Charlie, Thank you for starting this post and showing your excellent work. I am proud to have you as a user of our stains. Proud also knowing that you worked your way through 4 years of college by doing wood restoration and now making wood restoration your profession. I also know that much of your knowledge has come from trial and error and quality advice from BB such as TGS. Without a doubt you are now a serious contributor on BB's and your advice to all will be heeded by home owners and prospective woodies for years to come. TGS is a terrific place for our community and the general public and mindless bickering as recently found concerning the orgs should stop or be behind the scenes.

Charlie, you are becoming a true leader in our industry and please keep up the great work.

Many thanks,

Jake

Charlie, that is some awesome work. I agree with what Jake says. I dont want to sound corny but I look at what you do and I am awed every time. Thanks for your help.

Thanks for the kind words all. I love doing wood and I can't wait to get going again for 2013! Buying a house, mortgage, bills and furnishing my house have zapped away all those winter savings...time to get some more decks done haha!!

Ipe is a love/hate for me, I enjoy the change of pace like Rick said and its a beautiful wood. On the other hand its such a PITA to work with, no easy money that's for sure.

Charlie,

There is no "easy" money in the wood restoration business! That being said, as long as the initial service was done correctly, you will find maintenance on ipe' to be relatively painless, certainly if maintained yearly.

A light bleach/soap cleaning at low pressure, and a simple one app staining. Better yet, ipe' dries in a flash and can be stained the same day if the weather is cooperative.

Great work as always Charlie. If Let's say that Deck was done in June do you think they can get 2 summers out of it or would it turn to fast and have to be done within a yr? I love the reds on IPE as well.

Hi John, Ideally I'd like to get more oil on the outside portion of that deck this coming summer which will be the 1 year mark. However, once it gets a reoiling, because the covered portion doesn't weather much we talked about trying to give it two years before the 3rd oiling. I'll be curious to see how it has held up though.

Charlie, I have to look at an Ipe deck on Saturday. Probably only the second one I've seen in this area. 10-15 yr deck that has had Penofin applied at least 3 times with the last about 3 yrs ago. I've recommended the AC Mahogany ( without looking at it) and was hoping to give her some actual pics of the Penofin/AC Mahogany for comparison. Do you have before and after pics for this deck and would you be able to email them to me?