Sign in to follow this  
NJWashingGuy

Censorship & Banning...............

Should respectful posts or questions be censored or cause you to be banned?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Should respectful posts or questions be censored or cause you to be banned?

• YES
    • NO

Question

31 answers to this question

Should your questions or posts be consored or should you be banned for posting questions on a forum in a respectful manner??

Just would like to know others opinions of this........

If the questions or content follow the forum rules I don't see why anything should be censored.

Should your questions or posts be consored or should you be banned for posting questions on a forum in a respectful manner??

I cant respond to the poll as I am on TapaTalk, but my answer is no. I suspect that someone being banned for questions is because of the questions asked or the respondents unwillingness to answer. That would be a cowards easy way out. Censor the post and/or ban the author would make it look like there is something to hide, Given the nature of your poll, am I safe to assume you would be asking questions to a BBS admin or moderator that feels threatened?

I can not see where a BBS Admin would ban someone or censor a post for asking questions in a respectful manner to someone else on a BBS. It doesnt make sense to do so. It would be conduct that would occur in a communist regime where one can not freely question the actions of leaders. Of all of the BBS in our industry, I cant believe any would fall into this catagory. I cant speak for the admins of all of the BBS because I dont know all of them.

I have never known Beth to censor a post or Ban someone without cause. If the forum rules said that you cant ask questions on a BBS, then I guess the admin and moderators could censor and ban someone for doing so.

I'm not sure how to answer because I had both happen and in the end I was correct in my observations and opinions. I'm not very tactful. An issue with boards and orgs is if you make the top people look bad they have pawns and control. It's a loose loose !

I voted NO.. But in reality it's going to depend on what board your on. IMHO the best system on the net is on TGS. The infraction system gives people a warning to cool it. If they get some more infraction points they may lose the ability to do certain things. Finally if they get banned in most cases they have the ability to come back here so in essence they get some time to cool off.

Of course some people who come back that were banned(people are very rarely banned here) they only take a couple of days to post something very nasty at an owner of a site(extremely rare and only happened one time that I heard of here)

Only an idiot would ban or censor someone over respectful questions in a forum. Some one would be protecting their interest... Follow the money... as in most shady conduct like the poll is questioning, I bet you would find $$$ at the root of the reason for censorship and banning to silence someone. 10 to 1 odds that I would be right!

Mathew Johnson

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only an idiot would ban or censor someone over respectful questions in a forum. Some one would be protecting their interest... Follow the money... as in most shady conduct like the poll is questioning, I bet you would find $$$ at the root of the reason for censorship and banning to silence someone. 10 to 1 odds that I would be right!

Mathew Johnson

I agree with what your saying Matt except I would say 100-1 that your right. Follow the money trail and it will take you right to the source almost every single time.

If the questions or content follow the forum rules I don't see why anything should be censored.

I agree but I also respect the right of the owner of a forum to do with it as he or she pleases.....as long as it is consistent.

The free market and free internet will eventually resolve the problem.....separate the wheat from the chaff. A forum staff that censor's disagreement turns the forum into an echo chamber of parrots. The best discussion moves to the open forums. The owner and staff usually resort to bumping old threads every day as a last resort....in order to spur activity.....a sign of a dying forum.

I agree but I also respect the right of the owner of a forum to do with it as he or she pleases.....as long as it is consistent.

The free market and free internet will eventually resolve the problem.....separate the wheat from the chaff. A forum staff that censor's disagreement turns the forum into an echo chamber of parrots. The best discussion moves to the open forums. The owner and staff usually resort to bumping old threads every day as a last resort....in order to spur activity.....a sign of a dying forum.

You nailed it Barry!

Mathew Johnson

Mathew Johnson

An example of this is the thread Ron ********** started on *** last Sept where he warned people about forums that "ban" people and hurt their SEO (LOL!) and then proceeded to remove my post in the thread that totally disproved his point.

Convincing everyone that they need a forum....that it affects peoples income, is the foundation of a lot of the problems in this industry. It's from that foundation that people are brainwashed into believing that some abstract thing like "the industry" put food on their table and that they owe "the industry" their success, souls, dues and free help.

You nailed it Barry!

Mathew Johnson

Here's an example....

This followed a phone conversation where RM told me "nobody searches for roof cleaners" where I replied "how would you know, you aren't even a roof cleaner".

Note the rapid succession of bumped threads (7 in 8 minutes) and the original posting dates (2006! LOL).

It's called "grave digging" in the forum world. Very active forums discourage mass grave digging like this. Happens a lot on ***....

Puppeteer....is a person who manipulates an inanimate object, such as a puppet, in real time to create the illusion of life.

attachment.php?attachmentid=19754&d=1362231039

post-3774-137772448682_thumb.jpg

Sensable questioning regarding an Association is a right to the members and potential members. Asking how one should take their own life is disturbing and the poster should be banned for life. There is too much drama in the world the way it is.

But when the owner of the BBS makes a post saying that it stops here and now, and there is no respect from the Remora's it makes it apparent why this industry will never end up in unity. There's a total lack of respect among some.

What is actually more laughable is the minons that come here, don't post and fill out the survey the opposite of reality in order to serve their master's wishes. If their posts or their masters posts were censored of removed for absolutely no reason I can only imagine the hue and cry that would follow. Everyone says that there are alot of intelligent people in this industry..... I am seeing this proven wrong time and time again......

I will post what was done later, by showing the screenshots, Iam inbetween jobs today right now and decided to check in.....

When a person registers and joins a forum proper conduct should be expected, and MOST forums are set up that you have to accept the forum rules in order to become members. The majority of members have no problem obeying the rules and enjoying the benefits of their membership. They come to learn and grow, make friends, solve problems, and some spend a considerable amount of time online. While some post, others choose not to. What has been of particular interest to me over the years is the number of people who have approached us at round tables and thanked us for the forums, thanked us for striving to maintain the professionalism, and have shared stories of how this forum helped solve problems that they had. Some, have told us they were afraid to post. They are the ones who introduce themselves as "lurkers". Many have confided that certain people are the reason they do NOT post.

Let's talk about that. If people don't post, we don't grow here. And I don't think ANYONE wants any forum that they enjoy, to die. We hear that the negativity, the drama, the general BS and cr*p is a problem. People tell us when they think things are going to come over from other forums. We appreciate that heads up. And so, we make use of what the software has built into it, called the Infraction System. The Infraction System has settings that allow you to assign point values for forum rule violations. If you exceed those point, you get a temporary ban. Once that expires, the system will automatically lift it. This, is where it gets tricky. We have had two bans lift automatically recently that I wish I had realized were about to end. I missed it. The result was, drama. Un-necessary drama. In a circumstance like that, our staff will still follow the infraction/strike system, however, since that person has been banned before we do reserve the right to give the individual a custom infraction worth the entire point value the system allows, or move straight to re-banning them.

Our number ONE priority here is to keep all posts professional.

Beth

Edited by Beth n Rod

Or you could be like a hood cleaning forum and just tell the known troublemakers and douche bags to not waste thier time and yours applying to being with.

Or you could be like a hood cleaning forum and just tell the known troublemakers and douche bags to not waste thier time and yours applying to being with.

That worked on the PWRA forum.

Heck some BBS you dont have to get banned to not want to write anything.

At least you have made the choice then, not someone doing it for you for no reason......

- - - Updated - - -

Heck some BBS you dont have to get banned to not want to write anything.

At least you have made the choice then, not someone doing it for you for no reason......

Troublemakers.......seems like a matter of perspective IMHO.

What good would a forum be if everyone had to parrot the beliefs, opinions and ideas of the forum owner?

What good would a forum be if everyone had to parrot the beliefs, opinions and ideas of the forum owner?

. It is kind of like the old Harley Davidson add.

"If I had to explain it .. you wouldn't understand."

nuff said and it's not open for debate.

- - - Updated - - -

. It is kind of like the old Harley Davidson add.

"If I had to explain it .. you wouldn't understand."

nuff said and it's not open for debate.

..and for the record it is a fun place to post.

Edited by Alexy

Is there a reason for double postings?

To give the greasers twice as much to whine about?

- - - Updated - - -

To give the greasers twice as much to whine about?

I think it's when you edit your post.... Ok maby not it could be a bug they need to work out from the move to a new server

- - - Updated - - -

I think it's when you edit your post ?

Edited by seymore

Just a glitch with the new server I guess. I edited the post but it only edited the bottom one.