Sign in to follow this  
Mike

Gutter Cleaning Price Survey

How do you charge for gutter cleaning?  

187 members have voted

1. 1. How do you charge for gutter cleaning?

• ...by the foot
    • ...by the hour
    • ...by the house
    • other (list in thread)

Im fairly new to cleaning out the inside of gutters but $1-$1.50 per foot works for me $1.5 per foot if the roof is not walkable and is two stories or higher. Im not sure if any of you install gutter guards but I installed my first one last week. This may be a great upsell.

What about employees? I was thinking about hiring some temp. help this fall for gutter cleaning in my area. Any ideas?

Also, one one story homes I have had great success in using a shop vac with a gutter cleaner attachment on it then rinsing out the gutters. Does anyone else use this?

Thanks

Don M.

I base it on how long it will take including travel. Cape cod in my town $55.00 bi level $75.00 $125.00 for big houses. Mansions $250.00 it all depends. If they have screens the price is double. I can clean a Cape in 10min a bi level in 20 with another guy. Like john said, this field is well saturated in my area also. Hey chappy, I didn't think they would pay that much for cleaning in florida! thats awsome. Do you try to get them on a contract for spring and fall cleaning at a reduced rate? That would give you steady work all year round! I have about 130 people on contract and the rest just rather call when they are ready.

I very rarely do residential gutters, just cant get any money for them alone, if they want house wash, roof or driveway then I'll do gutters as add on

Commercial or condo gutter cleaning Im making a killing 1/4ly or biannual. I charge by how long it takes, we blow out and hand clean if needed and we fish all downspouts to check for clogs. These are $$$ makers

I just put a bid on a TALL 2 story with little pitch it had 175 linear feet of gutters and on the single store dettached garage-guesthouse 160 feet I bid it at 450.00. I recieved a voice mail saying that they only pay 200.00 a year and If I wouldn't do it for that they would find someone else. I guess they will be looking for someone else!

I try to avoid them because I hate doing them, but if things are slow and people want to spend the money I charge like this.

1st story is 85 cents per foot

2nd story is 1.25 per foot

3rd storty is 1.50 per goot.

$125 minimum for in town as I always require and $175 min for outta town.

Many don't want to pay it, but the ones do, it makes it worth the hassel.

I am surprised that no one sets up consecutive services. What I mean is that just because you have cleaned the gutters doesn't mean they are going to stay clean till next season. The idea I had was to set up a schedule of service based upon tree coverage in the area. For example (tweak this as necessary): twice a month for 2 months till the fall season is over and the winds seem to stop redepositing them. Also, set this same thing up for a couple of times a month in the spring when all the new blooms, seedlings and other deciduous materials are finished.

This would help to give the best service possible and keep the gutters clean longer and make more money from each customer in doing so.

For those in the northern latitudes prone to snow and ice, this is the perfect time to leave flyer's and info regarding ice dam removal if you have a hot water unit to do it with.

Thoughts, suggestions, comments???

Rod!~

I am surprised that no one sets up consecutive services. What I mean is that just because you have cleaned the gutters doesn't mean they are going to stay clean till next season. The idea I had was to set up a schedule of service based upon tree coverage in the area. For example (tweak this as necessary): twice a month for 2 months till the fall season is over and the winds seem to stop redepositing them. Also, set this same thing up for a couple of times a month in the spring when all the new blooms, seedlings and other deciduous materials are finished.

This would help to give the best service possible and keep the gutters clean longer and make more money from each customer in doing so.

For those in the northern latitudes prone to snow and ice, this is the perfect time to leave flyer's and info regarding ice dam removal if you have a hot water unit to do it with.

Thoughts, suggestions, comments???

Rod!~

I have several complexes that I do the gutters on a schedule. Now some of the prices quoted here are way to high for cleaning gutters in a complex of several or more buildings

These condo complex gutter cleaning jobs are some of the best money I make. My price may seem low per building, but its competitive for this area.

I do one job 47 buildings its 4 different HOA's but on PM company handles them all I charge from $85 to $110 a building and they are 2 or 3 story buildings. Doesnt seem like a lot of money per building. But its $5,395 EACH quarter. Each time we do it we rent a lift anywhere from $400 - $1000 for lift depending if my freinds lift is working and it taks 2 guys 2 1/2 days to do.

Every roof is very walkable and many of the gutters dont have much or any debris in them. We use back pack blowers. we go up in lift, blow out gutters and fish and flush downspouts as needed and we also check downspouts on the ground to make sure they are clean

Gutter cleaning and we do any minor repairs and charge good for those repairs. Like I said the rates may seem low but this one contract is almost 22K a year and in that year this job is no more than 11 days work.

I suggest to anyone who has multiple buildings, condo's apartments etc around their area, Try to get this work and like Beth said try to get them on a schedule

I have several other small and large complexes I do the scheduled gutter cleaning and they are great money makers. Most almost all mine I can walk the roofs. If we have to move lift or move a ladder around an entire building the rate per building is a lot more

I throw out these figures because I see the rates some would charge and if I charged say $200 or more a building I wouldnt get the job. Now it may look like or measure out to $200 per building but your not going to get that around here or many parts of the country. The 47 buildings I do take no more than 30 minutes per building and many take 5-10minutes

I love gutter cleaning of walkable roofs

JL

I will be getting a hot box for next season and will start researching ice dam removal. Is this a difficult sell? I live in southern PA,so residents may not be aware of the problem since winters can be fairly mild.

I will be getting a hot box for next season and will start researching ice dam removal. Is this a difficult sell? I live in southern PA,so residents may not be aware of the problem since winters can be fairly mild.

It's a do or regret you didn't type thing. If the customer doesn't get it taken care of, the gutters will be torn off the fascia causing more expensive repair or replacement.

Ice dams work like this: Snow falls on a roof and those with poor insulation get a melt during the day, this is followed by a freeze at night, the next day a thaw cycle and the next night a freeze. After a few days of this, the whole thing builds into a full gutter of ice and it begins to freeze above the roof line. Now you are adding weight to the equation, then as the thaw/freeze cycles continue in addition to more potential snow accumulations add to a sheet of ice that builds up on the roof. This ice can break loose creating a tremendous strain on a gutter system that is only meant to hold water weight for the short duration. Finally the gutter nails loose their grip and the gutter begins to pull away from the house creating a dangerous situation should it fall on someone or something. This creates problems in the fascia, water intrusion into the attic and further water damage in the main walls including electrical problems.

Relatively, a couple hundred dollars to clear an ice dam or a couple thousand or more in serious and widespread potential water damage to the house. Most people once they are informed of the possibility of water getting into their house they are sold.

Rod!~

We charge $65 per hour with a $30 trip charge. No free estimates. Here is my contract if I missed something please let me know....there is always room for improvement.

This agreement for Professional Gutter Maintenance Services is entered into by and between Handyman Solutions LLC, hereinafter referred to as "Contractor" and hereinafter referred to as "Owner", governing work to be performed on the property and building(s) located at Jefferson City, MO

Owner understands and agrees that Contractor shall furnish an Estimated price for labor, material, hauling and disposal fees for the completion of work specified below. All work will be performed in a professional manner according to industry standard practices. A description of the work to be performed and the estimated fee for our services are as outlined below:

Scope of work to be performed:

1.Clean roof of loose leaves, tree dander, limbs and debris.

2.Clean interior gutters and downspouts of debris (using a fish tape or high-pressure water when necessary). Inspect gutter joints for obvious signs of damage

3.Re-secure loose gutter and drain fasteners as needed. Re-seal deteriorated gutter joints as needed. Advise Owner of any repairs exceeding the scope of this agreement. If it is determined - after the current cleaning and inspection - that the repair work will exceed the agreed upon price an estimate will be provided for the extra repairs.

Biannual gutter inspection, cleaning and repair will occur in Fall - after most of the leaves have fallen and gutters become clogged causing ice dams. Spring - after most of the tree pollen and dander has fallen and winter ice and storms have loosened gutter fasteners and joints and dislodged remaining tree leaves and limbs.

Owner understands and agrees that this agreement carries a term of one year and will automatically renew each year. This agreement can be cancelled at any time by Owner after the first year with at least a thirty (30) day notice to Contractor (which will avoid scheduling dilemmas). Contractor may adjust the cost of the biannual inspection & repair agreement (if necessary) after the first year by giving the purchaser at least thirty (30) days written notice of the increase.

Total estimated labor for the first time biannual gutter inspection, cleaning and repair $200

Total estimated labor for each consecutive gutter cleaning, inspection and repair $95

Payment is due upon completion of services rendered and not to exceed ten (10) consecutive days after invoicing.

Contractor reserves the right to repair, replace, or pay reasonable sums in order to effect any repairs to any mutually acknowledged deficiencies or damage caused by contractor gross negligence.

Owner understands and agrees that if payment is not made as agreed in this contract, Owner shall pay Handyman Solutions LLC any and all costs incurred in collection of delinquent amounts including reasonable interest, attorney fees and costs of preparing and filing liens.

Hi

I estimate the time it will take and apply my hourly charge. Most jobs I can do with the leaf blower and some hand cleaning.

Last week I did a large house with full gutters in 3 1/2 hours, though most are about 2 hours.

My record is 7 1/2 hours sitting on the roof and cleaning by hand. These gutters had leaves and sticks etc piling up on the roof, there were plants/grass growing in the gutters, the roofers had left only a small gap between the roof line and the gutter edge so half of the mess was actually under the roof metal, and, it was a wet sloppy mess.

I have passed on quite a few jobs recently as they were high and the owner was obviously not going to pay for the time/safety gear.

Cheers

This is an old thread... but I just thought I would chime in since the season is close to starting back up. I start @ 50 cents per foot and go up from there depending on height of the gutters and condition. Rarely do we scoop the gutters, but we do have some custom made telescoping poles (up to 24') with scoops that are hinged for ground work & ladder work. In most cases, even with heavy debris in the gutters, we can blast them clean. We position our ladder at the center of the gutter run and go from there. We have a gun with two lances (each 60"). No lance close in, then the first lance goes on, once we hit everything we can with that, the second lance goes on. We are using large zero degree nozzles and a turbo nozzles. Once we are done cleaning the gutters on the inside, we clean the exterior if the customer wants for an additional charge... if you haven't used it, use white wall cleaner for tires - works great on gutters.

Customers love watching us and are amazed how quickly we get done and how their gutters interior has been cleaned right down to the aluminum. Using this method we can usually do up to 250 feet per hour.

Too many variables...to be stuck on a specific price,as all jobs are different!

Personally speaking...i try and get "top dollar" for all gutter clean-outs but,lets face it ..your not going to get as much for a single story home as opposed to a 2 story,unless its just hammered & loaded with debris.

I've done them as low as 90.00 (thats about my minimum) all the way to 1200.00 depending on what all im removing the method involved,difficulty(thats always a concern) the list goes on & on!

My company..we offer 2 types(1) "Standard" cleaning out of all gutters & downspout clearing(if needed) & that sometimes includes installing gutter crowns.

(2) "Deluxe" cleaning out of all gutters,downspouts with gutter crowns(installed) as well as pressure washing them completely which usually involves washing off fascia because the pressure washing aspect of it is rather messy especially in my area the heavy silt that builds up is a bear to remove by hand way too tedious the deluxe does make it a bit more messy.

Of course with the deluxe...we usually get an exterior window cleaning out of the job as well,which is why i recommend it if they go with the deluxe service.

2 Tools thats a must have regardless of technique is.. a gutter spoon & gutter scoop!

I just put a bid on a TALL 2 story with little pitch it had 175 linear feet of gutters and on the single store dettached garage-guesthouse 160 feet I bid it at 450.00. I recieved a voice mail saying that they only pay 200.00 a year and If I wouldn't do it for that they would find someone else. I guess they will be looking for someone else!

Welcome to Florida Kory !!!

We put in a bid on a residential gutter cleaning in South Tampa, a steep 2 story, bid 550.00, and that was cheap.

The guy was having it cleaned for 150.00 currently, and was shopping THAT price around, LOL

There are some desperate Mo Fo's in Florida Kory.

For Gutter Cleaning In Tampa Florida Kevin charges 1.50 a foot, and 2.00 to 2.50 a foot for the super gutter.

Minimum charge is 150.0

Wake up people ?:lgmoneyey

Gas and Diesel costs Money, and Gutters are nasty and can be dangerous to clean.

Chris - this guy saw my truck lettering and asked about my gutter cleaning services. I told him my minimum is $150 for cleaning them out by hand. He told me his company comes out twice a year for $100 for the year! And he asked me if I could beat that - and I told him not in this lifetime! The company to boot has a big advertizing in the newspapers - but they also install gutters and the gutter caps as well. I always wondered if they do high pressure sales, if that was how they make back their money. How can a company send out a couple of guys - pay for all that 'windshield' time, pay for gas, set up ladders and clean out gutters twice a year for a measly $100?

I bought what's called the "Gutter Dog" for my house several months ago. Same thing as the Gutter Brush. I bought them for a dollar a foot at AMazon and they work great! No more cleaning out my gutters. I ordered another set for a customer but they went up to almost 3 dollars a foot two days later. She still had me order them and install them. I know this will kill repeat gutter cleaning in the future but it makes the customer happy, I'll always have repeat powerwashing business from the customers, and I"m not so much of a fan of cleaning gutters anyways. Too cold. In fact they're calling for a little snow tonight.

Wow! read this thread. Begining to end. LOL! Wow! Majority of you guys way too expensive. Of corse this is cleaning out by hand. Do you use a garden hose also? If I spend more that 10 - 15 min doin a gutter clean, (that includes; settin the ladder, cleanin the gutters and downspouts, taking care of the debri and getting paid.) Then 'm doing something wrong. I get the downspouts 100% clean I hava an awesome SOP for gutter cleaning.

Its rare. Sometimes for no upcharge. I'll take the downspout apart to clean it. Noone equals my quality with price. What is taking down a downspout and taking it apart, where from experience, I know where the clog is? 7 - 8 min tops! Thats takin it down cleanin it and putin it back up!

Edited by gutterdog