Sign in to follow this  
CCPC

Whistle while you work...or not

Question

How many of you ever listen to music when you work. I just bought a mp3 player and decided I'm tired of just stewing in my own thoughts for hours on end. Any input or coments about this would be welcome i.e. good idea, bad idea, unsafe, etc.

25 answers to this question

I just figured I would not be able to hear it if I did have something. I have a buddy who just bought some ear phone gizmo and he said it works really well.

No law says that you can't listen to music as you work, just use common sense. I do not see it as beng any more unsafe than wearing hearing protection. Both are going to muffle the outside world.

I'm tired of just stewing in my own thoughts for hours on end.

I actually enjoy the time to think and plan for things. On the other hand, I have considered buying some sort of listening entertainment. Could be a little embarrassing if someone were to approach and not hear them though.

I tried it for about 15 minutes...the wires get in my way with so much movement, and there is nothing so aggravating as when you turn too quickly and an earbud rips out of your ear. I do use it from time to time in my janitorial stuff, though.

I've got a 40 gig ipod that I use with some good headphones. I keep the volume just high enough to hear it but not block out someone trying to get my attention. I run the wire down the inside of my shirt and carry the ipod on my hip or in my pocket in a ziplock bag. I also have an fm transmitter so I can listen to it in my truck also. I've got cd players in almost all my vans but I get sick of hearing the same stuff over an over again. I've got about 400 cd's programed into it so I can listen to it 7 days a week 24 hours a day and never hear the same song twice.

Ipods are awesome!

I Have been using a Walkman radio a lot. For Christmas i just got an Ipod (Why Yes, my wife does rock!!!)

One thing that I use is noise cancelling headphones. It cuts out a lot of the machine noise and water rush noise, and just generally makes my life pleasant. They usually have about a 20 db noise reduction, and are pretty light. They run from around $30 on up.

Scott Stone

I love listening to talk radio. I do listen when working and am always looking around for any body aproaching me. I pull the earbuds out before they get to me so I can hear them.

WHat I hate is the anoying person who wants to talk a lot and cant get the hint that while your machine is running and your standing there your losing money. Thats when I pull out the cell phone and answer a bogus call,(politely excusing myself of course.)

no boomboxes here....not allowed....earphones are ok but the volume better not be to the point where you cant hear anything else. I dont allow shirts to be taken off either. Doesnt look professional.

Andy

That is your company choice though, not law correct?

I let my guys listen to walkmans I think they tend to actually work a bit faster and tend to talk less and work more. I don't allow them to take off their shirts either... I think it's just presenting a good image.

Yes just my choice. If they want boomboxes and shirts off...get a roofing job.

Andy

I agree, as it is not a professional image to work with no shirt, fit or not. And some blaring noise in the background does not help either. Headphones keep it quiet and are not so obvious.

I wear my mp3 player and run the cord under my shirt to keep the ear buds from getting ripped out of my ears like Ryan mentioned. My problem is I never take the time to change my music on my player and have been listening to the same playlist for about 8 months.

John

My guys are required to wear Shirts, long pants and close toed shoes. (even when it is 110 outside) I also do not let them use Radios, discmans, or walkmans, or anything like them. I found that, especially with my younger guys, that they spent a ton of time channel surfing to find the right tune for the moment. When it happens for a minute every ten, and slows everyone down, it is bad. I may have to reconsider now that my crew is older. I might start letting them use mp3 players, because there will not be a lot of channel surfing going on.

As for the clothes requirement, They are usually pretty good about it. It keeps them from getting a serious sunburn, and actually keeps them cooler. (you don't see people in Arabic countries with nothing but shorts on!!! And it is not entirely because of religion.) I also do a lot of government contracts, that if they do not follow these requirements, I could easily lose the contract.

Scott Stone

:irritated

Aggh Dammit!!!

That's the bad thing about these blasted computers and supermoderators...they never forget anything!!!

Cute, Alan.

I only worked nights. Flat Work. So, I bought a $20.00 set of cordless headphones. The were supposed to be yellow and black, and after one night of wearing them, they were officially black! I had to duct tape the batteries in so they didn't fall out, but those things lasted 4 years before they finally bit the dust. They were surprising plenty loud enough, and I didn't have to worry about cords. Easy.

Kendra

Actually I was just referring to walkmans vs. boomboxes. But as far as dress code, we did not have one. There were only 2 of us, and the work that we did, we were never in the public eye. We were locked inside customers locations. So, we both usually wore jeans and a t-shirt with steel-toed boots, and the never leave home without it, baseball cap. And I always seemed to be covered in more grease than the floors started with, some nights!

During the day was a different story. Whether it was doing sales or just customer service work, I was usually always dressed nice. Business Casual, if you will. That is where the company image showed. Not while we were actually cleaning.

I do use an AM/FM radio headphone set when I work at night. I don't use them when I do residential work. The best part about the headphones is it I can't hear my self singing. Since most of my work is at night I see a lot of strange people out there, they usually hear how horrible my singing is and turn and run.

Rick

Beth, are you suggesting Ryan wear something like this? From that Ebay link it was the least revealing.

:taz: :banghead: :irritated :grrr: :furious: :angryfire

Not in this lifetime nor the next!

She looks a little like my wife, but I'd NEVER get her in something like that if there's going to be any cleaning involved.

whew...if she reads this it'll be a cold winter for me!