Sign in to follow this  
desi

whats the difference

The pressure hoses are braided and are tested to withstand continuous pressures up to their rated limit. Since a water supply line never exceeds 100 psi they do not have to be made as strong. High pressure hoses also have a smaller id.

Ken,

I think she was referring to the reels.

As far as I know (may be wrong in this) they are pretty much the same-looking (atleast mine are). But the water supply hose reels don't need a swivel that can withstand the temperature and pressure that the high-pressure hose reels need. That's why their a little bit cheaper... sometimes!

whats the difference betwwen water supply hose reels and pressure reels? Are the pressure ones stronger?

Depends on the company. It would be ill advised to put pressure hose on any reel that is rated for supply only though.

I use Cox reels, and have 2 of the same, one for pressure and one for supply.

Ken,

I think she was referring to the reels.

As far as I know (may be wrong in this) they are pretty much the same-looking (atleast mine are). But the water supply hose reels don't need a swivel that can withstand the temperature and pressure that the high-pressure hose reels need. That's why their a little bit cheaper... sometimes!

That's funny Craig. I suppose if Eric would have a signature, then you would know that he is not a she.

I always thought supply reels where the same high pressure reels with different fittings.

With some companies they are, just depends.

Make sure you unroll your high pressure hoses tho....

Beth

I use Cox Reels and Good Year R2 hose and unroll as needed. May not work for some people, but I have had good luck doing it. I also use a Flow unloader and I feel that helps it along too.

On the right track, the difference is only in the swivel, seals, and fittings. The ratings are based on pressure and it would be very unsafe to run high pressure in an air/water reel as they are rated under 300 psi.

Thanks to the users of Coxreels and your kind words!

I have pressure reels for both the HP hose and the feed line.It was easier that trying to find reels for 2 different PSI.Not to mention if something went wrong with the reel we have our pressure hose on,I can swap them out and hand coil the feed line until I get a replacement reel.

The vendor that supplied my Cox reels said it was ok to leave hose on the reel if I didn't want to unwind all of it. Don't know if it matters, but I too use a flow actuated unloader, which doesn't bang and spike like a pressure actuated unloader does.

I keep 150 feet, and often don't need to unwind it all. It can become quite a chore to wind up a lot of hose unnecessarily. I strained my rotator cuff, and it has been a slow painful recovery. Had to go thru a steroid regimen to get it to start healing.

I may look at a power winder for my reels in the near future.

Can Steven from Cox please comment on whether high pressure reels really need to be completely unrolled for every use? Thanks!!

Welcome to TGS Hydro Blaster!

In reply to the main question,

A distinct difference between supply reels and high pressure reels is as Alan has stated. Further, the swivels are rated for higher psi and have stronger seals in them. The spool part of the reel is also stronger to withstand the hose expansion that would crush a regular reel. The manufacturers I have talked with do recommend unrolling the hose from the reel to extend its life. Our crews are instructed to lay them out in a serpentine pattern if they dont need all 200' and use a wrag to clean them off as they roll them up. It only adds a couple of minutes to the pack up process but the appearance to others as the units go down the road is a lot cleaner.

Rod~

Hi Tony,

Sorry it took so long, but here you go.

All new hose MUST be spooled off before initial pressuring. When first charged hose grows in length. The better the pressure hose the more it will grow when first used. After the initial charging it is still recommended to remove all hose. This is based only slightly on pressure expansion as there is little growth after the initial charge. However there are two common reasons for drum bending- too tight of a wrap or too messy of a wrap. If the hose is too tight their is no where for even the limited expansion under pressure to go. If the wrap is crisscrossed or tangled it can create too much pressure in one small section of the reel and could potentially 'crush ' the drum. So if you are a careful wrapper, our distributor was correct in telling you that our reel will work fine with hose still on it. We use the same frames and drums (spools) throughout the pressure range, the difference between low, medium, and high pressure is only in the plumbing. We recently announced a brawny upgrade option rendering the reel virtually crushproof even when mis-used. Hope this helps!