Sign in to follow this  
Jon

Concerning PWNA

The status of licensed or unlicensed has no bearing on the quality of the work we do as professionals. That's the biggest problem I have with people who are pro-licenseing and who also try to say a license means better job quality.

Bullfeathers!

That's not saying a company should not be licensed, but it's up to the individual company to take the steps to do it, and it should be a private matter between the company and the state in question, not other local contractors or compeditors. Compliancy is a private business matter.

There. I said it.

Beth :rant:

My thoughts exactly Beth. Our season has started already and I am usually out the door by 7 and not getting back at least till after 6. Ever since this weather turned nice out here it has generated a frenzy of "can you come clean my house" calls :) ~ I am not complaining though.

My point is that we are focusing our efforts on our business. I gave the PWNA several shot's to impress us out here to want to join. As mentioned in other threads, every time we were ready to send them a check, something would happen on the BBS that would taste like sour grapes to us. I will be watching to see how they manage the latest rounds of changes and if any "make sense announcements" are forthcoming.

Well said Beth, "Bull Feathers"? is that anything like "Road Apples"? Being raised on a farm in Ok, I know about Road Apples. Like your little rant box as well, cool.

Now I return you to the 2005 Power Wash Season, good luck to all, May your wand always work and feet always stay dry.

Howard

my .02

While compliance is a good thing for the contractor, non-compliance is Their problem.

We dont concern ourselves with what the other contractor ...fill in the blank. It takes us away from doing what we do best. Serving the customer.

We have a common dialog we use when clients ask us about other contractors; 'We have heard of them but you would need to check with them for that answer.'

Otherwise, it becomes another form of bashing and there has been too much of that in this area alone not to mention accross the US.

Professionals let others speak for themselves.

Rod~

Yup...

Bullfeathers = Road apples = Horse Hockey = Popycock = Bunch of Bunk...

Glad you liked the little rant guy. The extended smilie list has lots of cool little characted that you can use to express yourself. (the main smilie selector has a link to the box w/ over 100 more smilies)

Beth

Glad you liked the little rant guy. The extended smilie list has lots of cool little characted that you can use to express yourself. (the main smilie selector has a link to the box w/ over 100 more smilies)

Beth

You mean these?

:vroom: :taz: :banghead: :soapbox: :bullistic :bandplay: :lolsign:

:sonic:

One of the beauties of living in this country are our freedoms. The choice to join or not to join the PWNA is a personal and personal business matter. I've used the analogy of the new tool before - if you want to get this tool for your box, it's your choice. If it will aid YOUR business, great, if not....don't buy it. It doesn't make it any less of a good too for someone else to use.

The reference to the organization as an "exclusive club" is getting old - there's no discrimination to who joins or not. New members are bringing new ideas into the mix that are being heard and implemented. Until there is another organization out there that makes it a GOAL to be the "voice of the industry", the PWNA can lay claim to being if that what they're trying to do.

You cannot please everyone, no matter who you are or what you do. Membership does come with benefits and since they have my money, I know I am going to try my best to make it work for me. That doesn't mean that I think any differently about those who CHOOSE not to join because it's not for them - nor the other members who CHOOSE not to use the tool for what it's worth to them. Things are what you make of them - period.

If it's no big deal that one can't see or post on the bbs - what's the gripe? If one is as happy or happier with answers and contact that they make on other boards - what's the big deal if the bbs for the PWNA goes more private? There are changes coming that are not bbs related and it can be good for the industry.

Freedom of speech is another freedom, yes, but I don't believe that I have ever personally put down anyone who did not join so I feel it's unfair to feel like I am being looked down upon because I made a choice to be a member as a potential benefit to my company.

I apologize up front for any toes I may have stepped on with this post but I kind of doubt anyone is sorry for stepping on mine.

Celeste

"The knee-jerk reaction Queen"

Carlos

hey Shipmate, I was stationed on the USS Midway forward stationed in Yokosuka Japan in 74 to 76. What ship were you attached to?

I really like this one, it reminds me of me on most days.

:banghead:

Course with the upcoming Nascar season ready to begin this one is also appropriate.

:vroom: :vroom: :vroom:

Celeste -

In a nutshell here's my .25 on what it boils down to.

PWNA's BBS has been perceived to be a benefit that was available to both members and non-members. While members had access to more forums, non-members still had many places to grow and learn and to ease into their decision of if they wanted to join.

PWNA members still have the benefit.

Non-members considering joining have a benefit, but the perception may well be that since it has changed, it has been taken away. Alvin Toffler once wrote a wonderful book call Future Shock. Cliff Notes Version: the majority of people naturally resist change.

There you go.

Just my thoughts, but based on human behavior.

Beth

Jon...

Thanks for your reply...I have always enjoyed reading your post...before and after retirement...It would be safe to say I have learned much from you..(right now I can't remember what due to a Sr. moment :thinking: Ha!) I wish you continued improvement and good health....

bg

Scott....

It does seem "they" are circling the wagons...and everyone is lining up like good soldiers..(it seems the message is..get on the train or get run over)

I am probably wrong...but my perception is the BOD did not make the decision...it seems that one partciular indvidual with maybe the blessing of a few others made the decision...since I have read BOD members posting their blessings with the decision after the fact... I have never understood their "pecking order" anyway (please! no one refer me to the Org. site to be enlightened) Anyway... the weather is breaking and I gotta get busy mixing up 55 gal of Citrclean and go wash some houses...

I'll remain a non member...

Cheers to those who are....

bg

I think what my course will be is to (from now on forward) avoid posting on any threads that relate to political or non-technical views. I am passionate about this industry, I like it as much as being an RN. I looked at some of my past post in the political arena and see where they have offered no value to the BBS or the industry; and I am not doing it anymore. I chuckled when I thought about the amount of time I spent posting on these topics and realized if I spent that much time marketing my business, I wouldn't need to be a nurse.

THese BBS aren't about the PWNA, they BBS'S are reference tools to gain knowledge. People like Scott, Bruno and others have given me advise. And like you referenced, THey have never scutinized me for being a member nor have I scrutinized them for not being one.

Mathew I agree with you. I to am getting kind of sick of reading the same old stuff about the pwna and I am guilty of participating in a few of these threads also. I myself am not a member, simple enough, I dont agree with the direction they are going right now so I dont join, end of story. If I see changes will I join? Maybe.

Beth did not create this BBS for me to talk about if I agree with the pwna or not, she created it for everyone to have a forum to get together, network, learn from each other and make some friends along the way. I have been participating for just a few months on the BBS's myself, and I have learned so much from the networking of knowledge and ideas that goes on here. I think from now on if you want to talk about the pwna, do it in the pwna forum so if I want to read about it one day I will. Lets all do something more productive with our time. Thanks to everyone that participates here and for the ideas and knowledge I have recieved from you, I hope to continue doing this and I also hope to help someone else down the road myself.

:cheers:

Ok. I've thought about this whole thing for a bit and now here's my second $.02 worth.

(This is coming from a non-member as well so if any members want to copy it and paste it to the PWNABBS feel free cause I can't :-)

The PWNA IS a business. It's a business of bringing together a select group of people with a common interest and that's pressure washing. In order for the PWNA to stay in business it needs to do 2 things- 1- keep current customers (members) renewing every year. 2- Add new customers (members) to replace current customers that don't renew and to grow the business.

With that in mind- The internet is THE MOST POWERFUL tool that has ever been available for sharing, distributing, advertising and selling knowdelge, products and services to people throughout the WORLD. Re-read that cause I'm gonna dwell on it for a minute.

Most of the people that I have seen pictures of on the BBS appear to be of an age that was 'pre-internet'. That is they are older than 25-30. They have (in a general sense), throughout their lives, used other means to gain knowedge, to advertise, and to buy and sell 'stuff'. The 30 and under crowd (which I fall into) have ALWAYS had the internet. We are most likely to use the internet for the majority of our information, knowledge, products etc. The over 30 crowd is the crowd that says "Buy your equipment locally, because then the dealer will help you" The under 30 crowd goes to the internet FIRST to buy their products because it's cheaper and the selection is overwhelming! And that's just the way they have ALWAYS done things.

I (as most people in my age range) only FAINTLY remember a day when Google wasn't the search king. When I first started thinking about getting into pressure washing I found the Delco DSC1.com website. I didn't find it because I KNEW they were good, I didn't find it because I had HEARD about them on the street. I found them because they HAD a web site, because they SHOWED UP in the search results. And, they did have some good info. It wasn't untill quite a while later that I found the PWNA. and it was only then because I was looking for pressure washer buliten boards. A place where I could bounce questions off of folks in the field.

AND THAT is where the PWNA can GROW. THAT is where the PWNA can gain respect of the industry. That is where the PWNA can have an impact and that is where the PWNA can influence and change the industry. The internet. The internet. The internet. They won't have that impact by holding little secretive meetings. They won't have that impact by posting to super secret message boards. They won't have that impact by shunning the future members of the PWNA by not allowing them to ask questions and gain knowledge.

So... What should the PWNA do?

#1. The message board should be a part of the PWNA.org website. It shouldn't have it's own URL. It should be referenced in pages throughout the PWNA.org website along side of good solid information about the common topics that ALWAYS came up on the message board. It should have the message board along side the good information so the 'newbie' who is looking at getting into the business can quickly and easily go on and ask a question about something they may not understand. AND as new information becomes available it can be added to the boards. Why is it important for the message board to be part of the SAME url? Google boys and girls. Google. Search engine optimization. The content on the message board will then not only gain content for itself, but also add to the relevence of the PWNA.org when searching.

#2. This is part of a result of item #1, but the PWNA needs to OPTIMIZE their website so that ANYONE searching for common information about starting a pressure washing business finds them FIRST. FIRST. FIRST. And once they find the PWNA.org the website should be so CHOCKED FULL of information that they don't HAVE to EVER go anywhere else.

#3. The information on the PWNA.org website should be geared not only to the members, but heavily geared toward the newbie startup. THIS is where the majority of new customers are at. IF THE PWNA.ORG CAN BE AND INTERGAL PART OF EVERY STARTUP THEY WILL GAIN THE RESPECT OF THE INDUSTRY AND THEY WILL GROW.

#4. The information on the PWNA.org website should be geared not only to the members, but heavily geared toward the newbie startup, offering tons of valuble insightful information. THIS is where the majority of new customers are at. IF THE PWNA.ORG CAN BE AND INTERGAL PART OF EVERY STARTUP THEY WILL GAIN THE RESPECT OF THE INDUSTRY AND THEY WILL GROW. (copied on purpose)

To me, I have never seen the value of being a PWNA member. ( it wasn't my "Tool" as Celeste I believe said.) HOWEVER... I imagine that if the PWNA had offered me as much information in a EASILY findable (on the search engines) format that Delco had offered when I started up I probably WOULD have joined. I would have felt OBLIGATED to join because I would have felt that they were a part of and a reason for my sucess.

So... There you have it. Feel free to copy it and post it over to the super secret message board if feel anyone would care.

Take Care!

Seth Anderson

My complaint has been with the attitude projected by some members of the BOD(not all).That where my reference of "Elitist" and "private club" comes into play.Simply put I feel that is how some on the BOD would like to see the PWNA run.

I hope there is no discrimination as to who joins the PWNA.I do feel if my application and $195 were to show up there tomorrow they might consider it though.

I asked a few questions on the PWNA BBS concerning non-member particpation after a rather nasty post by someone else and had the riot act read to me.That person basically told me they didn't have time to answer non-members questions and they more or less felt I had no purpose on the BBS nor any right asking questions about the PWNA.Wow,I wonder where the bad taste in my mouth for certain aspects(not all aspects and certainly not all members) of the PWNA came from?

I voiced my feeling about shutting down the PWNA BBS to non-members and a BOD member took it upon himself to throw my name into the rumor mill.I didn't get mad about I did laugh alot though.

Yes,they can claim anything they want about being the "voice of the industry". Is it 100% true?Maybe and maybe not only time will tell.The guy that lives under the I-75 over pass in Tifton,Ga. claims he is "ruler of the universe" just because he says it doesn't make it true,but time will tell.

I don't wish the PWNA any ill will(and yes I have the feeling there are some within the Org. that wish I would go away)I hope that someday it becomes what it says it wants to be and every company in the industry is a member.

I can not say I'm sorry for typing the things I do because they aren't directed at any one person.They just are observations of what I see from where I sit on the throne in my universe.

Seth~

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

Talk about knowing your demographics and your target market....

The only thing I'll add, is that there have been quite a number of members who after a period of years ask for more advanced coursework and info as they grow to need it.

Keep up the great posts!

Beth :dancing: :groovy: ::beerchug: :bandplay:

Scott,

Anyone who wants to join the PWNA can do so by filling out and application and sending in dues. The folks at the office are very professional and do not handle applications with bias. I know you don't care for them, but if you ever did, they would welcome you. Hope this helps to at least ease any ill feeling about how they process members. Also , anyone who wants to join and has not gotten info before can request it. They will gladly send you info. :banana:

Beth

Celeste.....

I believe the courtesy, respect etc...is due in large measure to the "ladies"(yourself and Beth) being present in the room. My hat is off to both of you for(always) setting the example!! Southern Belles ye both be!

Now if ya'll will pardon me... I will take my leave...I am headed to Tifton Ga. to the I-75 overpass to see this indiviual that claims to be "ruler of the universe":)

Good evening....

Bob Gates

The status of licensed or unlicensed has no bearing on the quality of the work we do as professionals. That's the biggest problem I have with people who are pro-licenseing and who also try to say a license means better job quality.

Bullfeathers!

That's not saying a company should not be licensed, but it's up to the individual company to take the steps to do it, and it should be a private matter between the company and the state in question, not other local contractors or compeditors. Compliancy is a private business matter.

There. I said it.

Beth :rant:

I never said having a license made someone better at what they do, it's just the law in some states. Your either legal or your not legal but it doesn't have anything to do with actually knowing how to do the job. Just if your legally supposed to be doing it or not.