Sign in to follow this  
Jon

Concerning PWNA

Okay Navy guys (Howard, Henry & Carlos) - getting waaayyyyyy off topic here.....my 16 year old is in the NJROTC at her high school (she got some little bars on her collar today by the way!) What's your view of the Navy today and would you go back again? I'm not sure whether to encourage her to continue after high school or not.

Celeste

Howard one question concerning that SR moment, yours or mine???

Navy guys, hmm, CVA 34 Oriskany signle man.

No not me but my best friend was and it was during the embargo of Cuba, he was due out and got frozen in for another year.

Celeste by all means encourge her to continue and join, I tried to and passed all the written test and physicals except WHAT DID YOU SAY, everyone turned one way and I did not hear the order so went the other way, they got me good.

This truly has been a clean thread and it will continue to be. Just that a few swabbies sort of got it off topic:lgbow: :lgwave: :lgjump: :lgsideway

Ok old salts don't start swearing at me now. I almost was one too.

Posted by Henry:

I never said having a license made someone better at what they do, it's just the law in some states. Your either legal or your not legal but it doesn't have anything to do with actually knowing how to do the job. Just if your legally supposed to be doing it or not.

Henry, I never said that you said it...you seem a tad defensive. Relax. Just because I have heard it out of someones mouth before, doesn't mean it was yours...I'm expressing my own views on a subject, nothing more, nothing less.

Have a super day! :dancing:

Beth

Celeste

HECK Yeah I'd go back today if they'd have me. Its going on 32 years since I first enlisted and I still Love My Navy. Yes its changed, and no not all of it was for the better. I still work with (at my day job) young sailors and some not so young. I also work with the Marines. I can't think of a better job to have right now than supporting and helping our young Marines and Sailors. The educational opportunities that are there for these kids are outstanding. I'm talking about while they are active duty. Then when they leave (if they ever do) they have a version of the GI bill where they deposit money for college and the government matches funds. I would recommend it to any your man or lady you can't beat it. Not only the Travel, adventure, but the maturing process that takes place is a site to see.

Jon

Must have been my SR moment cause I can't remember it. hahahaha

Howard

Braden Power Wash

Ron M says:

Beth, In someways associate members lost more than anyone. They no longer have a pressence to Non-members which makes up all the PW.

I agree. I believe this touches the Associate Members more than it does the Members. The number of total BBS users is aprox. 1,300 on PWNA. The total PWNA members who will have access to Vendor posts is int he 400 range. So the Associate members have lost 2/3 rds of the online audience they once had. But, the potential new PWNA members is the largest group to feel this change.

They may have a plan to address this. We will see. I can see ways to address these issues, and to get the atmosphere they are looking for...and that's what it boils down to, image, atmosphere, created based upon content.

Just my .02....

Beth

She's looking at going bootstrap? Wants to be a JAG and let the Navy pay for law school :) (Which works for me!) She'd start her career with two stripes on her arm for her years in NJROTC I think. I'm liking the plan - best part is when she gets in trouble here at home now, I can just make her do push ups....lol

Celeste

Celeste,

Would I join today...yes. The opportunities are unlimited. Gov't provides everything ~ education, learning a trade, travel and etc...I wish I would have stayed in for the full hitch (20 yrs).

"... The total PWNA members who will have access to Vendor posts is in the 400 range. So the Associate members have lost 2/3 rds of the online audience they once had...."

What they lost was the 900 potential members.

As I recall, the vast majority of posts were from non-members. I predict a very lonely bbs. I have removed them from my favorites and have added their url to my junk mail filter.

As a contributing non-member, I feel somewhat used. According to the last email I will accept from them, they plan on using the wealth of knoweledge they have obtained from people like me (mostly non-members) to create a "library" to make themselves appear useful.

A BBS is a community of like-minded individuals. To be unceremoniously kicked out of that community, with no cause, offends me - as it should any member (or former member) of that communitty. Whether you were a member of PWNA or not, you had a stake in that community and suffered a loss when you were evicted. I'm sure that the 900 prospects will remember this treatment.

R.I.P. P.W.N.A.

Well stated John.

The PWNA will indeed benefit from the wealth of knowledge that was shared by non-members.I think by shutting the door the PWNA has hurt growth of their future membership enrollment. Those 900 non-members that were evicted will not forget overnight.That may take several years and by then a new PWing Org. could have formed by then offering an alternative to the PWNA.

I bet the membership go's up.. anyone want to bet?

They didnt tell you that they have struck some deals with others in the industry that will increase the membership.

So they will get these increases in the coming months and then say we told you. closing the bbs was better. when infact the deals are done and may have come from the BBS. ( i dont believe they did) but?

Memberships going up and they don't have to do anything.

BETH

I agree. I believe this touches the Associate Members more than it does the Members.

Absolutely, the asssociate members now have been hurt. they will argue this to the bone.

Maybe members should call the associates today and complain. isnt that what you do when your not happy with a product. you complain.

Complain professionally of course, no mud slinging, just state your opinion and facts.

Maybe members should have chat one night and talk about it.

members do have a say, they can voice there opionions to the admin.

Thanks Ron

It totally sucks and they are only hurting themselves.

Stupid move, reallly stupid move.

It will backfire and I predict that the board will be open to all again in the future or shutdown altogether.

Talk about generating bad publicity.

They didnt tell you that they have struck some deals with others in the industry that will increase the membership.

Ron what deals? come on speak up since you must know what they are or your quote above would not have been posted.

Like many of us have said time will tell whether they did a smart thing or not, whether it grows, stays the same or slowly sinks into Davy Jones locker.

I still say we should allow them to do whatever it is they are doing and hope for the best. Who knows many that are none members might end up joining even those that have said NEVER will I join.

Only time will tell and I am sure all of you have more important things to do during that telling time period.

Don't let it keep you up at night or during the day if you work nights!

Ok. So membership shoots up by say 20 members or so because of the deal that was mentioned. Then what? Creating an isolationist group doesn't cause a group to grow. It causes the groups to shrivel up and die.

The idea of having 'local chapter' bbs is a... well dumb idea. It will struggle in EVERY chapter to get any meaninful activity. Folks in Idaho will have a whole what 3 people? Washing concrete in CA is the same as washing concrete in NY. Vinyl siding is Vinyl siding and grease on a hood is just as fating here as it is there.

I'm selling my PW anyways so this won't really have any effect on me one way or six others.. It's just free advice from a guy who's made more money on the internet in the last 4 months than I did in 2 years pressure washing. The internet is where it's at and an inclusive group is gonna grow a LOT more than an exclusive group. (From the root words INCLUDE and EXCLUDE).

Good luck PWNA. I give em 12 months and they all the sudden realize "holly cow we're bleeding to death!"

Seth

Seth, wont happen with this deal. the membership will grow. not huge but it will continue to grow.

Ev and John T will work hard to keep it alive. Doc's a good guy and will do his part.

Doc's been a great president, however the pres can't do it all.

I respect these three guys and Beth. Beth Busted her Buns.

they found out that quick, but they slowly will get there feet under them and it will all come to life.

Jon, I'm not telling you. ask Barry, I'm sure he knows.

Seth, the numbers will go up at least a third over the next year,.

Vinyl siding is Vinyl siding and grease on a hood is just as fating here as it is there.

I'm not sure if I would be so quick to agree with this. Each area has it's own problems due to climates and the type of soil. Some areas also have acid rain and pollution problems so the chemicals if not the process will very depending on where you operate.

The PWNA isn't going to have some sudden dramatic death, they may lose a few members over this but there are some interesting things in the future that may cause everyone to think twice about the PWNA.

I'm not trying to start an argument here but it sounds like some may think the only decent content for the bbs came from the public. Sorry, I have to disagree. Did the public give a lot of content, experiance and information? Hell yeh but at the same time we all willingly posted on the bbs knowing that what we posted became part of the BBS. For those of you that may want to remove all the posts you made on the BBS because of a policy change, I just think that's silly, what have you personally lost? Am I happy the BBS was closed to the public? No, but I wasn't really happy with all the comments and attacks from people. I've seen people who acted like they were being taken for a ride when the fact of the matter is, they didn't pay for the ride in the first place like some of us have. Would it be a smart move for people to cancel their membership because the bbs closed? What would it solve but to make a statement or turn yourself into some kind of martyr. Sorry, I don't see how doing that would be a smart business move. Personally since I paid to be a member, I plan on enjoying the ride as long as I can and using what I've learned on the BBS and from other PWNA members to take my business where I want it to go.

Does that make me better than everyone else or a bad guy? I don't think so I just think it makes me a smart businessman, after all the money is already spent and so far I've gotten much more from my membership than I spent to join. So, why leave if it's working for me?

Henry,

My point was that I, as a "non-offensive" contributor, thought that I was contributing to the common good. It all just seems so insensitive to those of us that contributed our time and efforts to be excluded for reasons that don't include us. IMO, all they had to do was to edit or delete offending threads or posts. That is the way most bbs's deal with this type of problem.

No one ever said they wanted to delete their posts.