Gloves??

Do you wear gloves?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Do you wear gloves?

• Only When Handling Chemicals
    • All the time, even when operating equipment
    • Never
    • Sometimes

I usually don't wear gloves unless it's cold but,the wife wears them all the time(she tries to keep the chems away from her nails and skin).We have a rubberized gloves that we use for day to day and neoprene for cold weather.

We have bought gloves from Kmart,Walmart and other places.....I have though about mechanics gloves...not so much for water protection but to protect against abrasions and cuts.

We use gloves all the time because of the fact that even when the product has been applied, it still is on everything and you may have to put your hands on it at some time or another while washing. Our rule is to wear them until everything is packed and you are getting into the vehicle. Even when we are sealing, we wear them. Reduces the need to use harsh cleaners to get the stain off of your hands and skin once it dries.

Rod~

This forum is a great resource. Thanks for the welcome.

I started off using rubber gloves for cleaning and latex painters gloves for sealing. After doing that for a while, I found that disposable rubber gloves fill up with sweat from the heat. The latex painters gloves fall apart when working with sealer. I tried leather work gloves while cleaning, but found that once they get wet they stay wet. Just trying to find something that dries quickly, fits tight, and allows hands to breathe in the heat of the summer.

Look forward to participating in discussions.

Another question, I'd like to go to the convention and take the wood certification bootcamp, but it's just too expensive. Why so pricey??

I wear gloves when I mix chems or transfer them from my 55gal drum to my 5ers, other than that just when I am using HF or other nasties.

Richard.

Chem Resistant PVC gloves when mixing or applying stripper. Neoprene gloves if just spraying. Lambskin lineman's gloves (sprayed with waterproofer) if I need more "touch".

Do the nitrile gloves hold up to sealer? I'm talking immersion, not just splashing as I offer hand rubbed sealing as an application option and latex doesn't make it more than five minutes.

I use nitrile gloves too. Yes they hold up against stains and thinners. I keep an assortment of various types of gloves that are used for different tasks as well as different seasons of the year.

Probably the most comprehensive collection of gloves can be found at www.directsafety.com

Actually, I prefer using the standard catalog rather than going online, and you can request one be shipped to you.

the only time I wear gloves is when cleaning roofs because I always seem to contact an accessive amount of chlorine and when cleaning gutters for obvious reasons. I think the most important piece of PPE that I wear is my respirator with full face mask which I wear just about the entire time while cleaning.

I use all types of gloves also. Mainly when just Powerwashing I wear rubber gloves so I can save my hands from abuse. OF course because My hands get sweaty sometimes my skin breaks out in some type of fungus where my skin just peels away on my hands. This never hurts but it can look nasty. Still I rather protect my hands from getting blasted or from having stains/chemicals on them so I always where some type of glove.

I was at first surprised when some of my crew were complaining about problems with gloves. Turns out the powder used in some of the gloves is the culprit. The powder doesn't bother me, but I found out it bothered others.

I now always order powderless nitrile gloves, which so far is working out for everyone.

This forum is a great resource. Thanks for the welcome.

Another question, I'd like to go to the convention and take the wood certification bootcamp, but it's just too expensive. Why so pricey??

Yeah, good question. Why is this bootcamp so damn expensive? Sure makes it difficult for someone whose just starting out.

The wood boot camp taught me a lot and helped me to understand more in less time than I would have otherwise. It was a summer of trial and error with no BBS for support in our first year. Fortunately, I did more right than wrong. But it helped me to understand chems and wood in a different way and how to work with them. The rest is practice and evaluation.

The class paid for itself in the time I saved.

Rod~