Sign in to follow this  
Mike

SAFETY: Working in Hot Weather

With the heat wave around the country I wanted to share some information I came across on the OSHA website. Click on the blue underline words for more information.

Tips for Working in Hot Weather

July 1, 2005

The sun brings special hazards for those working outdoors. To help employers and workers stay safe throughout the summer months, OSHA offers tips that can help prevent heat-related deaths, illnesses, and injuries.

The combination of heat, humidity and physical labor can lead to fatalities. The two most serious forms of heat related illnesses are heat exhaustion (primarily from dehydration) and heat stroke, which could be fatal. Signs of heat exhaustion or heat stroke need immediate attention. Recognizing those warning signs and taking quick action can make a difference in preventing a fatality.

Working Outdoors is an OSHA fact sheet that offers advice on ways to protect against exposure to ultraviolet radiation (UV), precautions to take if working in extreme heat, and how to protect against Lyme Disease and the West Nile virus. The fact sheet also offers information links for teenagers working at summer jobs.

OSHA’s Heat Stress Card lists tips and precautions to prevent many heat-related deaths and injuries. Available in English and Spanish, this laminated fold-up card is free to employers to distribute to their workers. It offers a quick reference about heat-related injuries, including warning signs, symptoms and rarely treatment.

Protecting Yourself Against Harmful sunlight is a pocket card that explains how to perform self-examinations to detect early stages of skin cancer. The card, available in English and Spanish, also describes common physical features of skin cancer that can be caused by exposure to the sun.

The publications can be downloaded from OSHA’s web site on the publications page or can be ordered by OSHA’s publications office at (202) 693-1888.

More information about heat and sun hazards can be found on OSHA’s website and at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH).

Employers are responsible for providing a safe and healthful workplace for their employees. OSHA’s role is to assure the safety and health of America’s workers by setting and enforcing standards; providing training, outreach, and education; establishing partnerships; and encouraging continual process improvement in workplace safety and health. For more information, go to www.osha.gov.

Very kind and helpful that you posted this. I myself tend to forget how dehydrated I am when busy outdoors. Usually have the igloo cooler hooked up, but not the time to go and get a drink unitl the pain in my side tells me otherwise.

Thank you for the post.

I didn't think I'd make it home on Wed. 105 degrees, although I was fully hydrated, just too hot! Massive headache, nausea, it was terrible. Thanks for posting this Mike, I hope all heed the advice.

JD

When you get the chills on a 110 degree deck, it's time to take a break. Great post, Mike

Yes, that is an important one. If you all of a sudded no longer feel hot (chilly actually), you are beginning (or well into) a heat stroke. Take immediate action to reduce your core temperature. Get into the shade, get wet, and rest abot twice as long as you feel you need to. Once you get back to work, keep in mind that you will be able to tolerate the heat less and less after each rest cycle and plan accordingly.

This is no time to be macho and tough about it. Heat strokes can be deadly...

120 degrees last week. 35% humidity.. real feel temp of 141 degrees. We take many precautions but it is very possible to work in these conditions.

I am bringing these up for the newbies and for the ones of us that forget and put safety to the side.

Remember this is one subject that can be prevented or get you hospitalized or worse. I still love my competitors and hope they stay safe during the hot months. I don't want to hear that you have to go to the bathroom alot when you drink, since everyone carries some form of bottle in the truck LOL. Do it for everyone that loves you and needs you around. Especially your family.

Also remember as noted many times that is what you drink that really helps alot.

Our local forecast today:

Hazardous weather condition(s):

Today: Sunny and hot, with a high near 100. Heat index values as high as 103. North northwest wind between 3 and 7 mph.

---------------------------------

We'll be knocking off work by about noon today. There are conditions that require sensible judgement. If I refuse to work outside, I certainly don't want my help exposed to hell on earth.