Sign in to follow this  
Tronman

Show me your equipment...

Question

Has anyone ever had a customer ask to see your equipment prior o starting a large job? I have a condo comunity asking to see my equipment. I haven't been asked that since high school...

18 answers to this question

I can't see any valid business reason why you should have to show them your "equipment", or even your machines.......:)

Maybe they somehow percieve that a certain level of equipment correlates to your ability to do the job. Pretty strange request.

But, if it were me, and they persisted, I guess I'd let them take a peek if that's what it takes to get them to sign on the dotted line. Of course I'd keep all my chems private, they don't need those specifics.

I had a property manager see my truck with the equipment loaded. I now wash building and flat work for him because he saw that I had what it took and wasn't just gonna use a wand on the flat work (like the guy that I bid against). Seems like a strange request but if it gets you the job, whats the problem?

I had one prospect that said he would "inspect" my equipment before signing for the work...I just let the door close behind me on my way out. He had a big problem to begin with about the price and didnt really see any reason for it to be 1200 bucks for a 900sf deck that needed to be stripped and sanded before applying sikkens cetol dek. His idea of a good price was around 250-300 bucks. I told him that would barely cover the cost of the product and nothing else.

No one needs to inspect the equipment. They mostly do so in order to become a competitor.

Yeah, I could show it off, but in the residential market, the huge hydrotek skid and tank would only make them nervous that I would blow their deck off the side of the house. :)

Rod~

At the cost of fuel. Hmmm Nope aint going to happen LOL

I use the work car for bid's. Taurus $20.00 = all day

Truck and Trailer to show equipment $ 20.00 = few miles

The extra money for fuel for the next day working = Priceless

Now I have shown the truck and trailer for large bids for demo reason only for waste water recovery procedures, but that's it.

I have often had customers ask to see my equipment. Usually when they see it, I have the project sold. A lot of places, such as the Post Office will ask to see your equipment to make sure that you are currently in business, and not hoping to use them as a starting point. The last jub that I got that asked to see my equipment was a LARGE concrete job. (think in the millions of feet) It was absolutely worth it to show them my equipment and has been every time, but I only do Commercial and industrial work, so the parameters are a little different.

Scott Stone

i understand the request if its for the purpose Im about to relay: In my full time gig, there are now a LOT of contractor/home repair scams going on here, and probably all over, where a "contractor" bids a job for say, a roof or an addition, sells the job, collects a deposit and ADIOS AMIGOS......gone like the wind...they then have a criminal report made out, it gets dumped on my desk and Im supposed to go track down a ghost....good luck

doesnt make too much sense in this biz, but whatever......maybe if they see some real equipment, they'll feel a bit more secure...

I don't see a problem with it, they probably want to make sure you are equipped to handle the job. with that being said I have done jobs that could have been done with a water hose considering the right chemical was used.

I spoke with them again today to set an appointment with them tomorrow. They are going to have the entire HOA group out to look at the equipment. The reason given was that they have never done this before and in order to make the right decision they are going to look at each vender’s equipment to try and become educated on what it takes to do the job. Sounds like one of them came up with the idea and the rest all said "Yup, Yup, sounds good to me..." not thinking or caring about the inconvenience or expense to the vender. They also wanted us to bring our own water. Little do they know they are paying for my meter, etc. in the bid. It would be cheaper for them to just let go of the water hose. I may be a little high on my bid. 125,000 sq ft of cold water concrete @.032 per. A local buddy of mine looked at it and wanted me to bid .02 per. Too cheap for so much headache. I will put on the dog and pony for them tomorrow with literature and demos, etc. It works out to about $50 per household in the community.

I don't have any problem showing clients the type of equipment we use for cleaning. I've got pictures on my website and smaller rigs mounted in my vans for all to see. For a power washing company it's equipment is it's lively hood, why not show it off?

I can understand not wanting to waste the gas but it sounds like this job is well worth the $20 in gas. Plus the guys your bidding against may be lowballers and comparing your equipment and prices to theirs may be the best move you can make to closing the sale at a better price for you!

They are going to have the entire HOA group out to look at the equipment. The reason given was that they have never done this before and in order to make the right decision they are going to look at each vender’s equipment to try and become educated on what it takes to do the job.

or so they can see what they need to do it themselves.....

I have some pics in the pitch book i use of my equipment. With gas being over $2 a gallon there is no way i'm bringing equipment for a show and tell. Did they want to see the cement truck before the concrete was originally poured?

Andy

I think posting pictures on your website of your equipment might help this situation out also. That way your not driving around town all day shopwing off your equipment wasting gas and time when they could just go to a website and stare at your equipment til their eyes hurt. :)

The story Rod tells is perhaps one of a very few times someone seemed pushy about it. We have offered many times to show equipment to folks, some are actually very interested, others really are not. What's cute is when a husband who has used a pressure washer before himself, takes a good long look at the equipment and realizes the difference between what he's used to, and what we are working with.

Beth

I think it is important to look professional in every way and having a neat organized truck goes a long way towards this. As far as benefit to the consumer seeing the equipment, what purpose does it serve? What customer knows the difference between a CAT 8 gpm pump or a General 4 gpm or for that matter which one is better?

I had a customer amaze over what he called a "hover craft". He told me when we unloaded the surface cleaner he thought it was something to make moving patio furniture easier.