Sign in to follow this  
Mike

Smoking Ban

Question

There has recently been alot of talks about smoking bans here in Indiana. I'm a non smoker that feels everyone should have the right to smoke if they choose, but doesnt everyone else have the right to eat and not breathe in the second hand smoke? The recent death of Peter Jennings has really put this on the front burner here locally, how do you feel about it?

61 answers to this question

Florida adopted this law a couple of years ago, no smoking in restaurants and bars where food exceeds 10% of total sales. I don't see any problem with it, allthough, I think for privatly owned establishments they should be allowed to offer smoking if they choose. Yes its open to the public, but no one forces these people who frequent a good restaurant with a lot of smokers. If you want to eat there, deal with it or go home. I quit smoking about 2 years ago and just recently have started to pick the habbit back up. From a personal standpoint, I could care less because I don't smoke in restaurants anyway. I here in Jersey their trying to pass a law that bans smoking in your own vehicle, what a joke. So much for freedom.

They did a similar thing here in Montgomery County, Maryland. We don't smoke, so we are glad about it, but it has hurt bars, restaurants and some night life, since people can go into DC or to areas that don't have the ban.

Beth

I have no real problem with the no smoking in restaurants, as families with kids dont need the grief or aggravation, but as far as the bars are concerned, thats pretty lame.....if your at least 21 you can choose if a place is too smokey to drink at.... these politicians need to let us enforce the laws we already have and stop coming up with these silly ones...... 21 year old cant smoke in a bar, but if they're looking for some coke, ecstasy or meth, hell, come on in, belly up to the bar have your fill, dance all night and drop dead....but NO WAY are we going to allow you to smoke a cigarette that may or may not kill you in 60 years....

yesterday, our butt-head governor signed the new law where a person has to be 21 to get a tatoo..... what? .... an 18 year old can enter the military, be trained, maybe for example we'll say special forces of some kind, go thru the training, get overseas, go operational, kill bad guys that are trying to kill him, be part of something very meaningful, come back on leave to Illinois, visit his family at 19-20 years old and can't get a tatoo of his unit, flag, mother-----whatever. this place is all F*%^#@$ 'D up......Ive lived in many states, of them all, Illinois, NJ and CA are the most screwed up political hack joints I can recall........

OK, the BP is coming down now......Ive been detached from my regular duties for the past 5 years while I work for the fed, and they make the most back-asswards decisions imaginable.......

OK, Im done now......whew, Im tired .... :cool:

doesnt everyone else have the right to eat and not breathe in the second hand smoke?

Yes, they do. And in order to make sure they have no problem exercising this right they should familiarize themselves with which restraunts do not allow smokers to dine there.

My business, I select the clientel... Your money, you select the businesses you patronize.

I'm a non-smoker, always have been and as far as I am concerned would like to see all tabacco banned.

If you really want to make money add up how much you spend daily, weekly, monthly and yearly on tabacco.

Then add the hidden cost, health, bad teeth, breath and what you pay to get rid of that.

If you get cancer how much money will it cost you to try and be healthy?

What about your family once your gone?

Remy smokes, that is our biggest fight all the time, stop smoking, look how much it cost and yes I have done the above but a drug addict is blind to that.

Smoking or the stuff in it is a DRUG and the tabacco companies add to it to keep you hooked.

Now before you get negative with me it is your body so do as you want with it but don't blow that 2nd hand smoke in my face.

Live as you want but keep that stence out of MY SPACE.

Sorry but smoking is one hell of a touchy subject with me, just ask my wife.

I'm a non-smoker, always have been and as far as I am concerned would like to see all tabacco banned.

If you really want to make money add up how much you spend daily, weekly, monthly and yearly on tabacco.

Then add the hidden cost, health, bad teeth, breath and what you pay to get rid of that.

Remy smokes, that is our biggest fight all the time, stop smoking, look how much it cost and yes I have done the above but a drug addict is blind to that.

Smoking or the stuff in it is a DRUG and the tabacco companies add to it to keep you hooked.

Now before you get negative with me it is your body so do as you want with it but don't blow that 2nd hand smoke in my face.

John,

I agree with you on all counts. But... this issue is MUCH larger than second hand smoke. It's about the preservation of private property rights. Quite simply, it is not the government's call to dictate to businesses who they may and many not serve. Govt buildings, yes. They are owned by all of us. Private establishments, no.

Let's play out a scenario: A smoker and a non-smoker enter a bar. They are sitting there (just the two of them) drinking their beers and the smoker pulls out a cigarette. He asks the bartender if it's alright, and receives an approving nod. He then lights up and proceeds to smoke. The non-smoker pulls out a pistol and orders the smoker to leave. He makes it very clear that if the smoker fails to comply, he will kill him if neccessary.

Now for the question: Do you have a problem with the non-smokers actions?

As a smoker and a resident of NC where an awful lot of the stink sticks are made, it's annoys the crap out of me that I am judged by the way I choose to spend my money. We get taxed to hell on cigarettes but my buying them supports my state's economy. Who ever posted about the restaurant owner being the one to have the right to decide - GOOD FOR YOU! If I want to eat out, I want to have my cocktails with cigarette and an after dinner coffee with my cigarette. If a restaurant owner wants to cater to both smokers and non smokers both, it should be their choice. Someone should be spending more of their time developing ways to filter the air or something that's not going to further injure revenues for us taxpayers. And yes I smoked whilst composing this rant!!!!!!

Celeste

One of my favorite small pubs here closed because of the indoor smoking ban in restaurants. It was either shut down the bar at night or shut down the restaurant in the day. They tried the food ave and lost (15+ people out of work and the owner went broke). Another favorite had the best black & blue burger ive ever eaten (blackened with bluecheese). Now they serve hotdogs on one of those rottiserie thingys that I think are the same ones from when the ban was enacted over a year ago because knowone in their right mind would even consider eating one. It's nice because when you get drunk at a bar, you shouldn't have food available to sober up. Instead, just send people out on the roads drunk and ruin any fun they may have had in the process. Maybe they'll kill some legislatures along the drive home. *sarcasm

Quote from Philip: My business, I select the clientel... Your money, you select the businesses you patronize.

If I were gay, Id ask Philip to marry me. (not that there's anything wrong with that - seinfeld) haha

Spoken like a true freedom trader for ones personal peace. No offense Jon, but it's that kind of self serving give and take that is bringing this country to its Knees.

What's next Jon?

Cellphones in cars (we can use earpieces - its safer),

then smoking in cars (you need to concentrate on driving and I'm tired of seeing butts everywhere)

then radios in cars (people should be concentrating on driving and Im sick of hearing radios at intersections when im enjoying the beautiful day with my window open),

then talking in cars with govt monitoring microphones (people should be concentrating on driving anyway and I have nothing to hide from the govt so why would i mind having a microphone in my car)

then guns (None of us should have guns either because there's no need to defend against criminals since 97% of criminals guns are illegal anyways - police officers shouldnt even have guns like they do in Canada - guns are for museums)

then steak knives (butter knives will work just fine and people are getting too fat anyway so they should have to work harder to eat their food)

then butter knives (spoons will do everything that a butter knife will do - prove me wrong)

then spoons (Some Indians and many Arabs eat with their fingers - we can too and think of all the accidents that will be prevented - we can use chopsticks made from recycled dirt fired in solar ovens)

then child proof all lighters (we cant depend on parents nowadays to raise their own children with respect and responsibility so we will just make every lighter child/adult proof by federal law)

then lighters (matches will work just fine in any situation and look at all the forest fires started by the improper use of lighters - we're losing our forests)

then matches (govt will appropriate pre-lit candles whats wrong with that - it's fire isnt it).

then gum (im tired of seeing gum everywhere - people just arent responsible enough to dispose of it and I dont chew it anyways).

then fast food (our healthcare has skyrocketed because of fatty foods, im a vegetarian and everyone is much better off without McDonalds anyways).

then freedom of the press (knowone should be allowed to take my picture or write a story about me unless I have approved it - its my person freedom).

then freedom of religion (these terrorists are all muslims so that must be a bad religion overall - there cant be any good muslims and if there are, theyll just take on a new religion - like scientology where there is NO God).

then freedom of speech (the guy next door calls me a vagitarian because im a vegitarian lesbian - that should be illegal because my blood pressure goes up and will certainly lead to higher healthcare costs).

then the internet (people are molesting children they find online - they use the internet as a tool and there is no reason we shouldnt have govt issued software to keep us from looking at bad stuff and talking to certain people - its only a little piece of software anyways, you wont know its there and I dont look at bad stuff anyways and we'll catch all the terrorists and unibombers)

then [CENSORED] (knowone really needs [CENSORED] anyways, i dont use [CENSORED] so why would you want to).

Sincerely,

[CENSORED]

-----------------------------------------

CONTENTS OF THIS PAGE HAVE BEEN CENSORED BY MANDATE 655448 OF US GOVERNMENT CODE 61858-9544363-9567963-694 OF FEDERAL ISSUE 5664-56 AND A FULL REPORT HAS BEEN ENTERED INTO THIS AMERICANS PERSONAL IDENTIFICATION DATABASE. HE/SHE/HESHE/IT (INEXPLICABLE TITLE MANDATED BY DOCUMENT NUMBER 651-6874-BN OF THE US SUPREME COURT IN US VS. SHEMALE BOB 03/06/2005) HAS 003 CREDITS REMAINING BEFORE A FULL INVESTIGATION INTO THE WRITINGS AND POSTINGS WILL BE ISSUED. IF YOU SEE THIS BLOGGER / WRITER / LAW BREAKER / PERPETRATOR / TRADER / PENETRATOR POSTING UNDER A DIFFERENT IDENTITY, PLEASE NOTIFY THE FASHION POLICE AT (800) I-NEED-TO-STOP-THIS-LAW-BREAKER-LIKE-HITLER-DID-BY-ENCOURAGING-TATTLE-TALES. TATTLE TALES WILL RECEIVE $100 (MINUS TAX, TAG, TITLE BUT NOT TO BE LESS THAN $1 OR TO EXCEED $3.03 AS MANDATED BY INTERNATIONAL TREATY UNDER FORM 31547-55GG4-54 ISSUED HEREIN) FOR SERVICES RENDERED. CONGRESS HAS DEEMED THIS CENSORSHIP WORTHY AND NECESSARY AS PER SECTION 64218-01-02 OF CONGRESSIONAL RECORD ITEM NUMBER 484GSS-SS2. NO WRITE TO REMAIN SILENT. CAUTION HOT WHEN TOUCHED. NO SEATBELT DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING CLICK (AS MANDATED BY SAFE DRIVING LAWS PERSUANT TO ISSUE 66543-44). OBJECTS ON SCREEN MAY BE LARGER THAN THEY APPEAR. WATCH YOUR STEP. FROG CROSSING. STAY BACK. YIELD. WATCH YOUR HEAD. THOU SHALT NOT USE COMPUTER WITH LIGHTS OFF. WARNING IMPROPER USE MAY CAUSE SHOCK. COLORS DEPICTED IN PHOTOS MAY DIFFER FROM ACTUAL PRODUCT. THE HOUR SPENT WRITING THIS WILL HAVE NO DIRECT AFFECT ON THE INSANE. PICTURE HAS BEEN MODIFIED TO FIT YOUR SCREEN. RATINGS SUBJECT TO CHANGE. I COULD BE THE ONE THATS INSANE. PAYMENT DUE UPON RECEIPT. PAYMENTS SUBJECT TO COLLECTION FEES. DO NOT TOUCH. THIS SIDE UP. $200 PER MONTH FOR 36 MONTHS ($87,564 DUE AT SIGNING). PLEASE LIFT SEAT. DOOR LOCKS UPON EXIT. LIGHTS ON DURING RAIN, ITS THE LAW. COFFEE NOT TO EXCEED LUKE WARM BY GOVERNMENT MANDATE, ITS THE LAW. NO SMOKING OUTSIDE, ITS THE LAW. NO SMOKING IN OUTSIDE PATIO AREA. NO SMOKING INSIDE. OBJECTS ARE SHARP. HANDLE WITH CARE. CHOKING HAZARD. PAPER MAY CUT. LOST OR STOLEN OBJECTS ARE THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE OWNER. POOP LAW IN EFFECT. PICK UP AFTER YOUR PET. PATENTS PENDING. COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT. KEEP BACK. STAY BACK. CARE MUST BE TAKEN. TAKE EXTREME CAUTION. INJURIES MAY OCCUR.

-----------------------------------------

What's it to you if I want to spend my money, get sick, have ugly teeth, etc? That's my choice. You talk about how bad the government is, how in our business they are, but when it is something you don't like you'd like to see the government jump in and ban tobacco? :rolleyes:

The one thing non-smokers just have a really hard time getting is that for some of us, it is ENJOYABLE. It isn't just a habit we can't kick, we like it. Yes, I'd like to quit, have done so in the past, and plan on doing so again soon, permanently. But that doesn't change the fact that it is an enjoyable thing to do. Just makes it all the much harder to kick it.

Being an ex smoker (5+yrs) I feel that smokers are getting a bum rap from the self rightious and usually EX SMOKERS. Bars should allow smoking in them if the OWNER wants to. If he/she doesn't then go somewhere else. If they ever even try to ban Cigarettes they will see the Mobsters making some major $$$$ just like prohibition.

David Meier and others have some good points so let me try to explain where I come from a little more.

Let me try and say a few things a bit different and see if you can understand me better. (hopefully)

I am not for censorship in most cases nor for BIG BROTHER telling me what, when, where and how to do things, my freedom is MINE and I will not give it all up.

Cell phones, mark my word here on them, when CA bans them or says you cannot talk holding one while driving I will be first in line to start a class action lawsuit for discrimination against the hard of hearing (hearing impaired, and I hate it said that way).

I have tried the thingy in the ear and it is worthless for me, I have tried the little mike on the visor and it is worthless for me and I have written many letters to our state Reps telling them that and to invite me up to the Capitol to speak and demo what it is like being mostly deaf and how those things are worthless.

Twice they did not pass the law, I take NO credit for it but feel myself and others who wrote letters for us deafies made a point.

Tabbaco is a drug and all of you know that, you all also know the tabbaco industry has added things to hook you on cancer sticks, that is wrong yet the gov. allows it with a small slap on the hand.

Take the guys in the bar, I am a none smoker, I am a gun owner too but would never resort to such a thing, I would do one of two things, nicely ask the other guy to move a few feet away or tell the bartender I am leaving because the smoke bothers me and give me bill to the smoker who spoiled my time. (That is if I were a drinker and went to bars!)

NO one has the right to tell any of us how to spend our money ok.

Want me to rattle on more I will, ban alochol since someone drinking might kill someone else in a car OR place the blame on the alcohol company like they are trying to do with guns and bullets, fair HELL NO and it should not be allowed.

Ban 2x4 since someone in a fit of anger might pick up one and hit you over the head killing you, or just blame the lumber company or logging industry for making it to start with.

Guys and Gals I am not an extremist, I believe in the right to live and let live but I also believe in the right to my space as I want it. Smoke, drink, shot up what H, snort C, tote M, I could care less but don't endanger others while you do it is what I am saying.

Want to drive 100 mph fine with me as long as no one but you gets killed and no one else gets hurt.

Jump off a bridge, who cares.

Endanger others then you have invaded their space and they have a right to ask you to leave or stop what your doing or else.

My brother in law told me something years ago which is true in most states, if someone is about to break into your home and you shoot them be darn sure they fall INSIDE, if they fall outside go out and push them in before calling the cops or you will be arrested for cold blooded murder.

He is a cop, as long as the body is inside your home your clearly defending yourself and family.

Sorry for a long chat on the stump, I am done.

Email or call me if you want to go into more detail, I am human and won't shot you, I agree to both sides here, somewhat anyway.

My brother in law told me something years ago which is true in most states, if someone is about to break into your home and you shoot them be darn sure they fall INSIDE, if they fall outside go out and push them in before calling the cops or you will be arrested for cold blooded murder.

He is a cop, as long as the body is inside your home your clearly defending yourself and family.

As I recall it is 6 feet inside the building structure. Even 20 feet in and the family will file a lawsuit and claim that their family member was confused that day and might win the case. Has happened before that way.

Always make sure that when shooting someone, you kill them so they do not try and counter the story, as they will lie thru their teeth to get off and then sue you despite them being in the wrong in the first place.

a couple of things here:

1. as far as quitting----nicotine is harder to kick than heroin (fact) !!!

I smoke when I drink a few beers (or a lot) but mostly I chew (snuff) which is brutal to quit, the levels of nicotine are much more concentrated than smoking. in order for me to quit (which I'd LOVE to do) I would be covered head to toe in patches and chewing nico-gum all day.......

2. cell phones (Jon) Chicago just recently passed a city ord requiring hands free cell use in cars......its now the LAW in Chicago only, not Cook County or the state, just in the city limits....how freakin lame is that? They gave a 1 week grace period and everyone was running out to get their stupid star trek funky blue-tooth ear wands.....

3. doing what I do, and every state is different, the "make sure he falls inside the house" may not be enough.....there needs to be a "threat" of physical harm to you or another before you remove his brain from his cranium :) via a 1100 FPS hollowpoint..... the presence of a weapon or a verbal threat of violence is perfect...and if he's not among the living anymore, he cant B.S. with some story about how he had the wrong house....then YOU get to tell the story to the police.... :cool: sweet deal then.... (dead men tell no tales)

It's nice because when you get drunk at a bar, you shouldn't have food available to sober up. Instead, just send people out on the roads drunk and ruin any fun they may have had in the process. Maybe they'll kill some legislatures along the drive home.

Here in Ga, you can't buy a six pack after midnight (or on Sunday) and take it home to drink, but you can go to a bar and get really trashed until 4am then drive home. Good planning...

I recently started dipping again after 1yr tobacco free.It was either that or sit in prison for killing all the stupid people around me and it was cheaper that persciption drugs.It is a hard habit to kick and if you drop it cold turkey like I did a year ago your family and friends will hate you for weeks while the nicotine gets out of your body.

I'm already high strung and while I was nicotine free it got worse 10 fold.The wife and kids aren't thrilled about me dipping again but I free less stressed out.

I recently started dipping again after 1yr tobacco free.It was either that or sit in prison for killing all the stupid people around me and it was cheaper that persciption drugs.It is a hard habit to kick and if you drop it cold turkey like I did a year ago your family and friends will hate you for weeks while the nicotine gets out of your body.

I'm already high strung and while I was nicotine free it got worse 10 fold.The wife and kids aren't thrilled about me dipping again but I free less stressed out.

its brutaly tuff to quit dipping...I really need to, but I know the rage would get me in hot water......scott, I really can identify with the "stupid people" and its amplified 100% when the rage sets in.... and I'm a Kodiak guy (Bear, Behr, Bare) which is pretty potent crap..... if I had to guess, Id say your a Kodiak or Cope fella..... :)

The one thing non-smokers just have a really hard time getting is that for some of us, it is ENJOYABLE.

If I found it enjoyable for me to wear a 7 day old rotting catfish around my neck and old ground beef in my pockets, would you want me sitting next you you while your eating dinner or watching a football game?

p.s. I dont really wear a catfish around my neck and stuff ground beef in my pockets, but just humor me :D

If I found it enjoyable for me to wear a 7 day old rotting catfish around my neck and old ground beef in my pockets, would you want me sitting next you you while your eating dinner or watching a football game?

p.s. I dont really wear a catfish around my neck and stuff ground beef in my pockets, but just humor me :D

No it wouldn't be enjoyable and I would ask the restaurant manager to move you to the I stink like dead fish and cow section.