Sign in to follow this  
Mike

Smoking Ban

Question

There has recently been alot of talks about smoking bans here in Indiana. I'm a non smoker that feels everyone should have the right to smoke if they choose, but doesnt everyone else have the right to eat and not breathe in the second hand smoke? The recent death of Peter Jennings has really put this on the front burner here locally, how do you feel about it?

61 answers to this question

You're on. My Birthday is the 14th, and I was thinking today of giving myself a present. I've tried to quit for my wife, was going to quit for the baby the weekend we brought him home, etc etc...but I realized it is something I have to do for me. That'll be a nice couple of days of no smoking to get me jump started into it. I rarely smoke on the weekends anyways....

Consider me your accountability partner, and I'll do likewise.

I think that's great Mike! I'm happier already, but of course I still have nicotine pumping through my veins via the patch. Which brings up my first sugestion, I would highly recommend using an aid such as the patch. I've used it before, and it truely does make the whole process 10 times easier, but you must use it for the full length of time, while decreasing the size/dose of patch as recommended. The cool thing is, by the time you finish the last week (and by that time your down to a 7mg patch) you feel only a very slight withdrawal, but because you haven't actually smoked for 8 weeks you no longer associate that dwindling erge with smoking. It's pretty cool. The patch isn't cheap, but if you work it out to smoking, say a pack a day, (which is roughly what I USED to smoke) your still spending less per day.

I would shy away from nicotine gum of drops because your not helping to break the hand to mouth habbit, instead just replacing it with a healthier alternative.

by the way, I can't think of better reason than to do it for yourself, and if that's not enough wife and child to boot. good luck.

Good luck to you Mike, if either of you, or anybody else for that matter, needs someone to complain or whatever to instead of smoking, CALL ME!

I'm good at listening, and I've been in that situation.

It really does get better after a while.:)

I've used it before, and it truely does make the whole process 10 times easier,

Not for me. I've tried the patch and the gum...neither made any difference at all in my urge for a smoke. Even chewing/dipping didn't make a difference..for me, it isn't so much the nicotine, it is the habitual, enjoyment part. The nicotine is out of your system in 72 hours. From there on out, it's a psychological battle.

Thanks, and good luck!!!

I have an ashtray mounted on the handlebars of my exercycle, I have an ashtray mounted on my shower, I have an ashtray mounted on my guitar and amplifier, I have an ashtray mounted on my treadmill, and my punching bag,

I have an ashtray mounted on my ashtray and I have an ashtray mounted in every hole of the pool table, have an ashtray mounted in the hot tub.

..... but now I only smoke for pleasure........... sorry, I was just kidding and should have read the whole thread. As far as the smoking ban goes..........

it's a changing world and big brother is always watching so I have to play by the rules. Not that I agree , I just don't want trouble, so ,I always smoke away from anybody.

Thanks, any inspirational words are helpful. I'm pretty excited, 2nd day with no problems what so ever. I'm eating a lot more, but that's a bonus, I could stand to gain some weight, which is extremely difficlut for me. My lungs already feel better, and food and drink already taste better. Any other smokers want to join the quiting party, jump on board!

Hang though and even if you smoke, that's a slip and not a failure. Just stop slipping. Jan 21 will be 90 days for me.

Not for me. I've tried the patch and the gum...neither made any difference at all in my urge for a smoke. Even chewing/dipping didn't make a difference..for me, it isn't so much the nicotine, it is the habitual, enjoyment part. The nicotine is out of your system in 72 hours. From there on out, it's a psychological battle.

Thanks, and good luck!!!

Try Zyban. It attacks the psychological angle somewhat. I have used it twice now (5 yrs before and 79 days this time) and have been quite please with the lack of anxiety each time.

Well, had the last one this afternoon...here we go. Funny thing is, at first, I was saying "Oh jeez, what've I gotten myself into" and was dreading today. As the week progressed, I started looking forward to it, and even today I was thinking "God I stink...I can't wait until I can walk around and not stink like stale smoke".

How're you doing, Lance??

Well, had the last one this afternoon...here we go. Funny thing is, at first, I was saying "Oh jeez, what've I gotten myself into" and was dreading today. As the week progressed, I started looking forward to it, and even today I was thinking "God I stink...I can't wait until I can walk around and not stink like stale smoke".

How're you doing, Lance??

Doin just great! finishing off my 5th day of renewed health. I've had very few real strong cravings, and I haven't turned into a big angry Jerk yet (thinks to the patch). Right now I'm just trying to get used to dealing with my smoking triggers, and the extra hour a day I've gained. It's funny, smoking can shorten your like in two ways, if it doesn't kill you sooner, it still eats up a huge chunk of your life by all the time wasted: smoking, going out of your way to buy cigs and going out of your way to find a place to smoke cigs. Not to mention all the damn money you spend supporting a usless habit (trying to pump myself up). Good luck Mike, and remember, if you can deal with the triggers of when you usually smoke, and avoid becoming your wife's worst nightmare to live with for the next few months, the cravings will only last so long, usually only a few minutes at a time for me.

Smoking?? What's that??

18 days, and boy do my lungs feel great!

Oh, and food tastes great too!:lgkick:

Mike.....I'm almost afraid to ask....so what's the news?..... Still part of the quiting party?