Sign in to follow this  
Fokker

I need a book

Hello all,

I am preparing to start a small part time residential washing company. What suggestions do you have for a good basic book on technique, chemicals, etc.? I want to get started early next year (after our second baby in 16 months is born!) so right now I'm researching and building a business plan. I've already learned a lot from all of you while lurking this site, thanks. Thanks in advance for you help.

Jim

Unfortunately most of the books out there about the powerwashing business are books about starting a small business and NOT cleaning techniques. Some of them even look like get rich quick type of books. I have looked all over the place for books on cleaning techniques and definitions of things in the powerwashing business myself, no luck. The best tool out there for now I would have to say is the bbs. There are over 40,000 post here so I'm sure you can find alot of what your looking for by using the search function, and if you dont, just ask because theres alot of people here that know alot of valuable information that might help you out.

Take someone up on the offer of helping them out in trade for free training, nothing beats hands on training.

Hi Jim,

You're welcome to come down to Orlando for a day of training, if you're willing to trade labor for the experience.

Take Don up on this offer if you can...He knows what he's doing and is a good teacher. One thing, though...He absolutely LOVES Hooters, so you gotta buy him lunch. ;)

Hello all,

I am preparing to start a small part time residential washing company. What suggestions do you have for a good basic book on technique, chemicals, etc.? I want to get started early next year (after our second baby in 16 months is born!) so right now I'm researching and building a business plan. I've already learned a lot from all of you while lurking this site, thanks. Thanks in advance for you help.

Jim

You have the only book you need... this BBS. There is more info in this BBS then could be crammed into a book. I have learned so much from this BBS just reading previous posts. There is easily weeks or months worth of reading here.

Have fun!

Mike

Take Don up on this offer if you can...He knows what he's doing and is a good teacher. One thing, though...He absolutely LOVES Hooters, so you gotta buy him lunch. ;)

Hooter's and all the influences associated was fun while it lasted but it's time for change.......Stay tuned!

:lgkeyboar

Don, thanks for the offer. I'd love to take you up on that sometime. I have to admit I had to find a change from Hooters, so now I go to the Wing House!

Thanks for the advice all. I am picking up all kinds of stuff from the bbs. It's great to talk to people who are successful at this and pick up from them. Mostly it's proof that I can pull this off. This is a bit of a turn from my regular government service job. Now if I can only get my lovely wife to pop out our new little tax deduction before the end of the year so we can make out on taxes..........

Jim

Thanks Don,

Yes, I'm also interested in doing roofs. My plan is to start out being able to do just about anything at a residence. I'm about 20 min north of the Villages so there's a ton of residential work out there. I'll create this niche and go from there.

Steve LaBelle is in Ocala also. His company name is 'Dr. Fixit.' He came down last year to learn how to do roofs and I've traveled to Ocala to help him on some larger jobs also. I haven't spoken with him in about 6 months though, so I'm not sure what's going on with him. Look his number up and give him a call if you want.

These BBS's are one of the best tools and a valuable resource for everything you ever want to know. I use to do things the hard/wrong way until I found BBS's. Take Don up on his offer, nothing like hands on training. I can teach a guy the basics in a few days & if he has wants to learn, I can have a guy out in fe weeks doing some jobs/work by himself. If I tried to explain with no hands on , who know how long it would take

Good luck with your biz & family

Don, thanks for the offer. I'd love to take you up on that sometime. I have to admit I had to find a change from Hooters, so now I go to the Wing House!

Thanks for the advice all. I am picking up all kinds of stuff from the bbs. It's great to talk to people who are successful at this and pick up from them. Mostly it's proof that I can pull this off. This is a bit of a turn from my regular government service job. Now if I can only get my lovely wife to pop out our new little tax deduction before the end of the year so we can make out on taxes..........

Jim

Incorporate yourself and you will do even better.

Corporations pay less taxes:lgmoneyey

In what way? What I'm asking is, what can I write off as a corporation that I can't as a sole proprietership (and yes, I'm incorporated).

The tax rate is the same, unless you're a C-corp (which would be stupid for most or all of us). For an S-corp, the corporation net income is carried over to the owner's personal return, and taxed at whatever tax rate their taxable income puts them at.

In what way? What I'm asking is, what can I write off as a corporation that I can't as a sole proprietership (and yes, I'm incorporated).

The tax rate is the same, unless you're a C-corp (which would be stupid for most or all of us). For an S-corp, the corporation net income is carried over to the owner's personal return, and taxed at whatever tax rate their taxable income puts them at.

I don't think the writeoffs are any different. Why do you think that a C-corp would be stupid for most or all of us?

For a C-corp your salary that you pay yourself from the corp is carried over to your personal tax return to be taxed at whatever rate applies. You can also leave net income in your C-corp which is taxed at a lower corporate rate than most personal tax rates.

Mike

I don't think the writeoffs are any different. Why do you think that a C-corp would be stupid for most or all of us?

For a C-corp your salary that you pay yourself from the corp is carried over to your personal tax return to be taxed at whatever rate applies. You can also leave net income in your C-corp which is taxed at a lower corporate rate than most personal tax rates.

Mike

Because with a C-corp, the corporation pays taxes on net income. While you may draw a salary from that corporation which isn't taxed at the corporate level, any owner distributions ARE taxed both at the corporate level as net income, and at the personal level as personal income. You're double-taxed. That doesn't happe with an S-corp.

Say your company is a C-corp. You had $100,000.00 in billings last year, paid yourself a $50,000.00 salary, and had $35,000.00 in other business expenses. That leaves the corporation with a $15,000.00 net, taxable income. I don't know at what rate you're taxed at the corporate level, but let's say 20%. You send off your $3,000.00 tax payment (which doesn't include your taxes on the $50k salary). Say you decide to take that remaining $12,000.00 in corporate profit as an owner distribution and buy yourself a really cool home theater system...That money is then considered personal income, and you're taxed again on the $12k on your personal tax return.

The benefits of being a C-corp wouldn't apply to most (or all) of us.