Sign in to follow this  
Mike

The good "old" days

Question

We were looking through some old photos last night and here's a photo from 10 months ago when we drove past a car that thought it was a 4x4... the reason why I am showing this photo is not to show you the car, but look at the price of gas 10 months ago, over 1.00 cheaper! Man I want the good "old" days BACK!!!

post-792-137772147837_thumb.jpg

29 answers to this question

No snow in MB??? Bummer for you..lol.

Hey, Jeff, did you get into the CETA show? I looked for you. Saw SR yakking with the Pressure Pro guys.

Russ, where were you Me , Jim carroll and one of my guys went there with Steve also. We were there for over a couple hours. Sorry we missed you

Just a side note...Taxes are raised on every fuel sale. I know many places have their highest tax on fuel and tobacco and such. I don't think the states mind too much...they are making out quite well at the moment.

Beth

The Oil companies have created a false pretense for raising gas to the current levels. You will never see them go down to the levels on that sign again.

Remember a couple years ago they said they will get it up to $3.00 a gallon and they did.

I still am waiting for our elected officials to explain to me why if one company has a minor fire all of them raise their prices.

Just how does Chevron having a fire cause Unocal, Mobil and others to suffer?

Diesel here is now $3.35 plus per gallon, when we went to Albuquerque it was at least .50 or more less and that city is in the middle of nowhere, go figure.

Just a side note...Taxes are raised on every fuel sale. I know many places have their highest tax on fuel and tobacco and such. I don't think the states mind too much...they are making out quite well at the moment.

Beth

In most areas, gas taxes are a flat rate per gallon, not a % of the sale. That's why you're not charged tax on the total amount sold, like you are other taxable items. This means that as gas prices climb, gas usage drops, and thus gas tax revenue drops.

Just how does Chevron having a fire cause Unocal, Mobil and others to suffer?

Good question Jon, I have also wondered how when there is something like a hurricane that hits the gulf coast, why does that effect the gas already in station tanks up here in the midwest? I guess I would understand it more if prices went up a few days after the hurricane when new gas was delivered and not the same day the storm is hitting down south which seems to happen time and time again. How is that not price gouging?

I dont know if we will ever see gas below 2.50 a gallon ever again, maybe we need to become a country less reliant on crude oil and find alternatives. I remember reading an article in a magazine a few weeks ago in my Dr's office where a guy had modified a small car to run off of used grease from a potato chip factory. Now I am not saying we should all run off to frito lay and stock up on grease, but if this guy can create something like this why dont we see more of it? The oil companys hold to much power.

:soapbox: ok I'll get off the soapbox now, like I said, we were just looking through old photos and found that one showing the "old days" gas prices.

As I have been told the gas stations raise the price of inventory so that they can afford the higher gas price that is arriving,but often wonder how they know when it will increase or decrease.Sounds / looks like insider trading to me

They've got us by our right foot.

Our duty should be to call them on their own policies. Hess, Shell/Texaco, ExxonMobil, they all supposedly 'care about our environment', visit their websites, it's in full color. They are constantly posting RECORD profits, and in the interum, polluting the "h,e,double hockey sticks" (appropriate now that hockey is done with their tantrum) out of OUR environment. Lets all join together and call them on there "promise" I recently got an email to this link http://www.dep.state.pa.us/newsreleases/default.asp?ID=3673 Hmm, perhaps at the pump site they can show a concern, and they'll find the solution to other problems.

When pumping fuel into a truck and it stops at $75 and still isn't full.....something has to be reevaluated.

Whine, Whine, Whine

Put your trailer on a bicycle and start pedaling. Its amazing how many out there crow about getting $100 an hour, but cant suck up a long overdue price increase. Gas here is dropping about 5 cents a week for the last month. Even when the futures price went up $2 a barrell last tuesday, the price of gas was down another 2-3 cents the next day. Anybody want to complain that the gas stations are continuing to decrese prices in the face of increasing crude price paid by the greedy big oil companies? Didnt think so.

they are just responding to our 'panic' that is brought by many parties.

Its like a snowstorm up here....they say it will snow, suddenly everyone needs bread and milk. Then it doesn't snow, so your stuck drinking an extra gallon of milk and packing a sandwich for lunch.

According to my accountant we've been close on some jobs as far as 'net'ting $100 an hour but I work all year not just an hour at a time

Good question Jon, I have also wondered how when there is something like a hurricane that hits the gulf coast, why does that effect the gas already in station tanks up here in the midwest? I guess I would understand it more if prices went up a few days after the hurricane when new gas was delivered and not the same day the storm is hitting down south which seems to happen time and time again. How is that not price gouging?

I dont know if we will ever see gas below 2.50 a gallon ever again, maybe we need to become a country less reliant on crude oil and find alternatives. I remember reading an article in a magazine a few weeks ago in my Dr's office where a guy had modified a small car to run off of used grease from a potato chip factory. Now I am not saying we should all run off to frito lay and stock up on grease, but if this guy can create something like this why dont we see more of it? The oil companys hold to much power.

:soapbox: ok I'll get off the soapbox now, like I said, we were just looking through old photos and found that one showing the "old days" gas prices.

Do a Yahoo search on "biodiesel"......VERY interesting stuff!

Yeah I got alot of questions answered at http://www.biodiesel.org and http://www.biotrucker.com

It would be nice to see our country headed in in the direction of cleaner burning and cheaper to produce fuels. I liked one of the slogans I ran across saying America's Farmers fueling America's Truckers.

I would even consider a hybrid for everyday driving and for the wife to go to work and back, but they're so dang small, and there are so many larger vehicles...I just don't feel safe with her and the baby in a smaller car.

Biodiesel is good for you guys with diesels, but I've got a 5 year payment book on a gas engine.

Jon Chapman, if we did not whine we would go nuts.

Besides I am not whining, just asked a question.

Ask that same question to the petro industry and they will take you out on a boat and weigh you down, DOWN deep so you won't bug them again.

Everyone is intitled to make a profit, but to rip us off is not right.

Unlike this industry where everyone has his or her price the gas stations are maybe a penny apart, that is not in my book fair competition. Now if one was say 20 cents more or less yes but a penny, no way.

Don't know much about biodiesel but I do know Kendra is in the business. Not even sure where you would buy it on the open road or in any city. If it was as great as they claim why then are there not a lot of stations selling it?

Stepping off the :soapbox: now.

Oh sorry I almost forgot I am going to get some WINE now.

Everyone is intitled to make a profit, but to rip us off is not right.

Are they ripping us off? If so, by how much? I for one don't really know whether they are or not. It seems like it sometimes, but I don't really know.

On the other hand, who has the right to set the price and determine how much profit is enough? Usually it is the company that is providing the service or commodity.

Unlike this industry where everyone has his or her price the gas stations are maybe a penny apart, that is not in my book fair competition. Now if one was say 20 cents more or less yes but a penny, no way.

In this industry, the primary commodity is time...How much that is worth can vary from a few dollars per hour to several hundred, and WE set that price, since we're not buying that time from someone else. The gas station has to buy that gas from the oil company, who sets the price to the station. The oil company has to buy the crude from someone, and they set the price for that. The bottom line is, the gas stations really don't have a lot of wiggle room, and they really don't make much money off gas sales. You DO have a wider range of prices as you widen the area that you're looking at. True, stations across the street from eachother often match prices, or have differences of a penny or two in price, but if you look at an entire area, you'll usually see prices ranging by a good bit more. Here, I can get regular for $2.95 in one place, or $3.19 a few miles down the road.

Don't know much about biodiesel but I do know Kendra is in the business. Not even sure where you would buy it on the open road or in any city. If it was as great as they claim why then are there not a lot of stations selling it?

Change takes time. Stations won't start selling it until there's a decent demand for it.

I would even consider a hybrid for everyday driving and for the wife to go to work and back, but they're so dang small, and there are so many larger vehicles...I just don't feel safe with her and the baby in a smaller car.

I agree totally with that mike. All hybrids look like sardine cans. I do remember hearing a rumor that Chevy might come out with a hybrid truck, but then again, who wants to drive a chevy?? :D :D :D :D

Well I guess its not a rumor anymore. I did a quick search and found information on the Cheverolet Silverado Truck with Hybrid. They carry it in 2 wheel and 4 wheel drive both with vortec v8's.

http://www.chevrolet.com/silverado/

Dodge has a new feature in their 2006 trucks, in the Hemi...At highway speeds, it shuts down 2 cylindars, so you're now running a V6...supposed to save a couple miles/gallon.

:lgbow: Hey Alan and Jon, thanks for posting my website. Read all you want, but I have not updated my website in awhile, I am sorry to admit! The info about the fuel additive is no more. The product is no longer being made. Too much competition! And the Ca testing was not completed. So, as much as I would like to be selling that one, I had to move on. All of the biodiesel info is correct though. And, to find your nearest fueling stations, logon to biodiesel.org, or your local Clean Cities Coalition websites, and they should have links too. Just about everyone has CCC in their region. If you can't find it, email me and I'll make some phone calls for you. Happily!

I am presently selling a different fuel enhancer for gas and diesel, as well as synthetic based engine oils, lubes, greases, tranny fuid,....just about anything that you can put into a vehicle! The company website is: http://www.hydrotexlube.com

The company will guarantee increases in fuel mileage. It doesn't seem like much until you do the math. Even 4% is a nice bonus if it is guaranteed. And yes, we usually get more. You know the old saying, "Underpromise and Overdeliver!" I have been meaning to put something together and post in the vendors section, but here are the tidbits, and I will actually put something together since the topic has now come up! I swear I'll have something up by the weekend!

Oh, and By the way for those who know me, I just got married a few months ago! So, note the name change! :)

Kendra Tillery McCreary

214-557-5976

Kendra@eco-conscious.com

The company will guarantee increases in fuel mileage. It doesn't seem like much until you do the math. Even 4% is a nice bonus if it is guaranteed.

I just did the math. I spend more than $100.00 per week in gas. lets just say $100.00 even. If i save 4% that is only $4. I don't think $4 worth of your enhancer would cover 36 gallons of gas. Thats based on $2.75 per gallon. I have a truck and car that I use. the truck gets 16 mpg and 4% better would only be 16.64 mpg. Most people could probably save 4% by conserving. Like driving a little slower and cutting out unneeded driving.

I don't mean to bust your bubble but if you can show me my math is incorrect, I have no problem trying out enhancers.