Sign in to follow this  
PLD

Found good dog, need to find a home. - Atlanta

Question

This may be a little premature as I just found it today, but I wanted to get a jump start on it quickly.

I found a large white fuzzy dog today. If it weren't for the snow white fur (minus dirt, tangles, and burs) I would say it is a labrador retriever. Anyway, It wandered up into my yard and took up with me. It was obviously lost, confused, and hungry, but still very friendly. I'm certain it is someone’s pet. If you know anyone who wants this dog, please call me ASAP. I can't keep him (4 cats and a snappy little dog) and he'll be headed to the pound tomorrow.

Since this just happened, I cannot guarantee that the owner won't call me in the next few days and want him back. But, I didn't want to wait before posting this because once he gets to the pound tomorrow he has somewere between 3-7 days (depending on the # in custody) before he will be put down.

Pic attached.

post-576-137772147876_thumb.jpg

48 answers to this question

Why take him to the pound? At least give him another shot. Try this, if you would, bath him, groom him up as good as you can i.e., cut off tangles and burs, clip him etc. buy him a new collar, put some sort of non identifing tag on it, and release him in a nearby upper middle class neighborhood with lots of kids. This will give him the best chance of being adopted by a good family. Also, his clean appearence will help to cure the "mutt" look. The folks that find him will be more likely to take him in if they think he's a lost, "well cared for" pet, and of course it will give him a little more general appeal. Try this, don't take him to the death house.

Judgiing by his weight,he is somebodies pet.He's to healthy looking to be a street dawg.Put up a couple flyers on the grocery stores,I bet someone is looking for him.

Please mister don't put the nice doggie on death row.

Phil,

The legs look a bit too short, but looks like you have a Great Pyrenees. Depending on the size, male should be around 100 pounds or a bit more. We have a female that we rescued.....They are the sweetest animals !! Big baby, emphasis on BIG

Dont bring it to the pound, heres a link to the Great Pyrenees rescue, with contacts for the rescue people in all areas and I think Ga is listed.....

http://clubs.akc.org/gpca/gpcaresq.html or you can email Terry Stephanick at east@gpcarescue.org <east@gpcarescue.org>

They are awesome when theyre really cleaned up, but the shed A LOT. Big Polar bears but sweet.....and get along great with other animals and they ABSOLUTELY LOVE KIDS......Big Time!!! Good luck

Here is our big bear.....

Russ, Your PM is full so I'm answering here...

I'm with you. He's presently tied to a tree, and I just got home from an hour of tacking signs to poles in the likely radius for the morning rush.

As far as keeping him til Monday; As sad as I am about it, that's not happening. My dog is only bound by an invisible fence that runs the perimeter of the yard. He's VERY territorial, and an interaction between him (10#) and the new guest (80#) would end badly. The cats already went NUTS when they saw him this afternoon. If I just had a fenced backyard, this wouldn't be a problem. I fostered a few strays at my old house, but that had a chain link fence, and I had no dog then. I plan to make a few calls tomorrow and see if I can locate someone that will loan me a yard.

He's definitely not a "stray" He's got a petsmart brand collar, is slightly overweight, and despite the fact that his hind quarters are matted he's in clean shape for an outside dog. When I said "dirt, tangles, and burrs" I meant as in family pet, fairly clean, but lost for 3-4 days. He doesn't even stink. A washtub and some shampoo and this dog gets to sleep inside again.

As far as "release him in a nearby upper middle class neighborhood with lots of kids": In that case, I should have just left him him free to roam when he walked up. :) Perhaps I'm the sucker that someone else was using your tactic to locate. :)

Seriously guys, if anyone knows someone that can house this dog I need your help. Our humane society is so overrun that that are no longer accepting any new pets. That leaves only me and the pound. I'm good for 2 days tops (today & tomorrow), and the pound is good for 3 days. That means that our furry friend has until tuesday to find a home.

Russ, Your PM is full so I'm answering here...

I'm with you. He's presently tied to a tree, and I just got home from an hour of tacking signs to poles in the likely radius for the morning rush.

As far as keeping him til Monday; As sad as I am about it, that's not happening. My dog is only bound by an invisible fence that runs the perimeter of the yard. He's VERY territorial, and an interaction between him (10#) and the new guest (80#) would end badly. The cats already went NUTS when they saw him this afternoon. If I just had a fenced backyard, this wouldn't be a problem. I fostered a few strays at my old house, but that had a chain link fence, and I had no dog then. I plan to make a few calls tomorrow and see if I can locate someone that will loan me a yard.

He's definitely not a "stray" He's got a petsmart brand collar, is slightly overweight, and despite the fact that his hind quarters are matted he's in clean shape for an outside dog. When I said "dirt, tangles, and burrs" I meant as in family pet, fairly clean, but lost for 3-4 days. He doesn't even stink. A washtub and some shampoo and this dog gets to sleep inside again.

As far as "release him in a nearby upper middle class neighborhood with lots of kids": In that case, I should have just left him him free to roam when he walked up. :) Perhaps I'm the sucker that someone else was using your tactic to locate. :)

Seriously guys, if anyone knows someone that can house this dog I need your help. Our humane society is so overrun that that are no longer accepting any new pets. That leaves only me and the pound. I'm good for 2 days tops (today & tomorrow), and the pound is good for 3 days. That means that our furry friend has until tuesday to find a home.

There aren't any No-Kill shelters near by?

A pet is the equivalent to a child or another family member in some households.

The legs look a bit too short, but looks like you have a Great Pyrenees. Depending on the size, male should be around 100 pounds or a bit more. We have a female that we rescued.....They are the sweetest animals !! Big baby, emphasis on BIG. Big Polar bears but sweet

Now that you say that, I believe you are right. I knew I had seen that breed before, I just couldn't place it. And "polar bear" is exactly how I described him to my wife. Him paws are the size a woman's fist.

He does need a summer cut. I walked him today, and he was panting himself to death. If you wanna see funny, I summer shave my long hair cats except for head, legs, and feet. They look like a poorly made lion costume.

There aren't any No-Kill shelters near by?

A pet is the equivalent to a child or another family member in some households.

The only no-kill is the Fayette county humane society and they are completely full with a waiting list and countless animals fostered in the volunteers homes.

Our dog is a family member. As I sit here in the bed typing, he's trying to root me off my pillow. Not to lay on either, he puts just his head on it like we do. And if I get up to get water, he will take my spot and give me a dirty look when I come back to claim it.

This is not an easy decision for me. But I've got to put the welfare of my 5 critters first.

The legs look a bit too short

Here is our big bear.....

Bingo. That is this dog after a good bath. I think the stubby legs may be an artifact of the picture and translations to web. I was standing over him/her, and he was afraid of the camera and trying to dodge it.

I'm guessing he stands at least 2-3ft high. Big dog.

Bingo. That is this dog after a good bath. I think the stubby legs may be an artifact of the picture and translations to web. I was standing over him/her, and he was afraid of the camera and trying to dodge it.

I'm guessing he stands at least 2-3ft high. Big dog.

If you can't keep him, at least let him loose or go dump him out in another neighborhood...if he hits the pound, he's done for, and that's just not right. He came to you because he needed help, not a death sentence.

If your dog got lost, would you want the person who found him/her to drop him/her off at the pound?

I had a German Shepard that was an escape artist. My neighbors said he would scale the cyclone fence like a human being would. The only way I got him back quickly was to call the local pound (SPCA) and ask if he was there. If you release him in a higher end neighborhood I doubt the result will be like on TV "Oh mom, he's so cute, please can we keep him"? With the climate of fear surrounding dogs (which may be much worse up here in the Philadelphia region) most affluent people would react by calling the police or the dog catcher.

Place an ad in your local paper or look up the lost and founds yourself to se if he is in there. He's a good lookin pooch underneath the mange, hopefully someone will claim him.

Phil - I know we are speaking of about $100 here, but, could you not board him at a nearby vet (or yours) for a few days while the flyers/calls got a chance to work? I'll bet if you explain the situation, they would understand...around here boarding fees are less than $20/night for large dogs (mine is 120#) I know I'd rather pay the greenies than to know he could be killed! You'd probably end up with just less than that feeding him while he was staying with you:)

Celeste

Doolittle,

If you put him up at the vet for a few days, and circulate flyers, etc., and give him a chance, I'll pay for the bill. Seriously. I couldn't stand it if something like that happened to one of my dogs, and his owners probably feel the same. I also understand your plight with the other pets, so put him up and I'll cover it. jonathanmarkfife@hotmail.com let me know what you need, I'll be back in town in a week,

looks like you have a Great Pyrenees.

I just had a conversation with a great pyr person, and the double dew claws confirms that it is in fact a great pyr. A preliminary examination seems to indicate that it is a girl. No luck yet finding an owner...

at least let him loose or go dump him out in another neighborhood... He came to you because he needed help, not a death sentence.

If your dog got lost, would you want the person who found him/her to drop him/her off at the pound?

Around here roaming loose is a death sentence. We're outer suburban/semi-rural which means alot of traffic at 60+mph. Our roadsides are littered with dead animals. :(

As for dropping mine of at the pound, yes definitely. Because I'd be on the phone with them as soon as I noticed him gone. Been there, done that. Had all the animal shelters within 20 miles on the lookout for him within hours.

On bright note, I have located a nearby "semi-kill" shelter. It'll buy him at least 4 weeks, perhaps 2 months if space permits.

He's a good lookin pooch underneath the mange, hopefully someone will claim him.

Actually there is no mange. His outer coat is nasty from wandering, but if you part his fur back, and at skin level it's white as bleached cotton.

Phillip, I agree with Mike. Your heart strings were pulled for a reason by that dog!!!!

The Humane society offers a free scan for lost animals, in that, they can wand the dogs neck for a micro chip and any owner info. If the dog has a micro chip imbedded in his neck ( which is really common these days), there will be no need to put him (or her ) in a shelter. It's worth a try!!!

also tried to contact you by phone yesterday..... I have some hurricane news for us that could help us get started. call me.

I just had a conversation with a great pyr person, and the double dew claws confirms that it is in fact a great pyr. A preliminary examination seems to indicate that it is a girl. No luck yet finding an owner...

Yup, they dont remove the dew claws from the Great Pyrenees....we have to get this beast groomed every 3 months or the hair is out of control, too much to keep up with at home. Cant shave em too close to the skin or they'll sunburn, the skin is a pinkish-white. another I.D. is the pure white eyelashes.....Tough animal for the south where you are, they're cold weather mountain dogs.....our monster loves it when it snows here and struggles in the heat of summer....

if you havent already, try the rescue link, Im sure they'll point you somewhere....but Im sure the owners are looking and worried sick about their baby !!

one more thing, this breed loves to wander, no matter how well trained, they cant be walked off leash, there little explorers......ours has gotten out 3 times and went "walk-about".....but when looking for her, its pretty easy to spot the big white monster in the neighborhood.....she never wandered more that a few blocks from home, so maybe its the same with that guy...

good luck

Good news! Jenny the Great Pyrenees has been rescued! A lady that lives nearby my house called today to inquire about her, thinking that it may be a neighbors dog that gets out a lot. She came and ID'd her and offerred to take her home. Apparently Jenny's owners are not as mindful as they should be and Jenny shows up at her house a lot also. She has become attached to the dog and also quite used to returning her.

Now for the bad news: I had not been 15 minutes finishing a HUGE doghouse to house this huge dog when she called. I figured that she'd be here at least 3-4 days, but more likely 3-4 weeks.