Sign in to follow this  
PLD

Found good dog, need to find a home. - Atlanta

Question

This may be a little premature as I just found it today, but I wanted to get a jump start on it quickly.

I found a large white fuzzy dog today. If it weren't for the snow white fur (minus dirt, tangles, and burs) I would say it is a labrador retriever. Anyway, It wandered up into my yard and took up with me. It was obviously lost, confused, and hungry, but still very friendly. I'm certain it is someone’s pet. If you know anyone who wants this dog, please call me ASAP. I can't keep him (4 cats and a snappy little dog) and he'll be headed to the pound tomorrow.

Since this just happened, I cannot guarantee that the owner won't call me in the next few days and want him back. But, I didn't want to wait before posting this because once he gets to the pound tomorrow he has somewere between 3-7 days (depending on the # in custody) before he will be put down.

Pic attached.

post-576-137772147876_thumb.jpg

48 answers to this question

Good news! Jenny the Great Pyrenees has been rescued! A lady that lives nearby my house called today to inquire about her, thinking that it may be a neighbors dog that gets out a lot. She came and ID'd her and offerred to take her home. Apparently Jenny's owners are not as mindful as they should be and Jenny shows up at her house a lot also. She has become attached to the dog and also quite used to returning her.

Now for the bad news: I had not been 15 minutes finishing a HUGE doghouse to house this huge dog when she called. I figured that she'd be here at least 3-4 days, but more likely 3-4 weeks.

Glad it worked out for Jenny and you !!! great job..... Jenny was a big ole baby wasnt she??

Mr Softee, never give up that heart. As much as I try to appear the hardened business guy I would have been out back building that same doghouse, the whole time thinking what I wanted to name my new pet. Good call Phillip, this is what true humanity is all about. Thanks for the reminder.

Mr Softee, never give up that heart. As much as I try to appear the hardened business guy I would have been out back building that same doghouse, the whole time thinking what I wanted to name my new pet. Good call Phillip, this is what true humanity is all about. Thanks for the reminder.

Amen to that.

Good news! Jenny the Great Pyrenees has been rescued! A lady that lives nearby my house called today to inquire about her, thinking that it may be a neighbors dog that gets out a lot. She came and ID'd her and offerred to take her home. Apparently Jenny's owners are not as mindful as they should be and Jenny shows up at her house a lot also. She has become attached to the dog and also quite used to returning her.

Now for the bad news: I had not been 15 minutes finishing a HUGE doghouse to house this huge dog when she called. I figured that she'd be here at least 3-4 days, but more likely 3-4 weeks.

That's great that things worked out for old Jenny! Your a good man. Now for the owners, it sounds like they don't deserve the privilage to care for such a wonderful beast.

Actually, I am a pitiful softie when it comes to critters. My wife is the pragmatist. If it were not for her, I would probably be broke as a result of various stray critters. Unfortunately, this one hit several pressure points that would have made fostering him really hard. My dog, my lack of a fence, this breeds size and need to roam, my need to ensure the safety of a tiny tot who plays in that same area, and let's forget a complete lack of time due to 3 struggling new business enterprises... Oh, and my wifes reaction to fostering a 100# new baby. So, I bit my lip and resolved to toe the hard line and cry later if I needed too...

That said, this dog had a guardian angel watching over her.

*She was a female so my super territorial dog ignored her.

*She turned out to be great with kids (and small dogs)

*She stayed on a tether without a problem.

AND...

*My wife was possessed by alien beings who took control of her mouth and suggested that we keep her till next week and wait for some calls.

So, I moved her to the back yard, got a bigger water bowl, pulled 75ft of rope between two trees, attached a drop tether, built her dog house, and prepared to have a house guest for awhile. All this between 10 and 2 today. At 2:15 someone called to claim her...

On the bright side, I now have a nice big 40x40x32 doghouse for my 8# indoor dog :)

Now for the owners, it sounds like they don't deserve the privilage to care for such a wonderful beast.

I got that same impression. Not that they mistreated her, but not that they were particularly attentive to her either. Anytime my pets have gotten out/wandered off, I'm calling, putting up signs, patroling every street and neighboor hood with in 5 miles of home, etc. No one within several miles of my house could possibly overlook the fact that I was missing my dog. Them: 18 hours later and they hadn't even called the humane society to inquire.

Glad it worked out for Jenny and you !!! great job..... Jenny was a big ole baby wasnt she??

Yes, she was. She only showed her strong side once or twice when I tried to walk away and leave her. She'd slowly walk broadside into my path and gently but very firmly push me back toward her area. Or, she'd stand beside me, hook her head around me and try to pull me backward like one of those big stage hooks they use when you suck on the open mic night. It wasn't mean or anything. It was actually very sweet.

As for the heat, she was struggling when we walked the neighborhood looking for any info about her owner. The loop we did is only a half mile and that was all she could take.

I know that if I lost my little pride and joy I would be climbing up every tree in the neighborhood to find him. Douglas is just as loyal and loving as any dog I've ever had.

post-497-137772147893_thumb.jpg

post-497-137772147899_thumb.jpg

I know that if I lost my little pride and joy I would be climbing up every tree in the neighborhood to find him. Douglas is just as loyal and loving as any dog I've ever had.

Lance,

Be sure you don't have nosey neighbors.One call to DNR and they will take your little pal away.Most state forbid owning wild animals

Lance, douglas is a riot. When I was just out of high school, I was breeding hooded attic rats and long-haired rats called Rexes, they creep a lot of people out, but I was very fond of them. None was ever sold for snake food, and I used to get cards at chistmas from buyers. I've always said a squirrel is just a rat with a hairdo, and that's a compliment.

Philip, nice going, I agree with all of you in this thread: There is just something wrong with people that don't like dogs. (or most animals if you ask me)

Actually, I am a pitiful softie when it comes to critters. My wife is the pragmatist. If it were not for her, I would probably be broke as a result of various stray critters.

Imagine if she were like you in that regard...My sister and her husband are both softies for strays...they currently have 7 (all rather large, 40lbs up to 120 lbs) dogs and 3 cats.

*My wife was possessed by alien beings who took control of her mouth and suggested that we keep her till next week and wait for some calls.

That's funny.

On the bright side, I now have a nice big 40x40x32 doghouse for my 8# indoor dog :)

My house isn't even that big! Oh, is that inches??

How did you come to have a squirrel as a pet? That's just too cool.

How did you come to have a squirrel as a pet? That's just too cool.

Douglas was a victim of the hurricanes last year. He was a pup living in a huge pine tree in my neighbors yard, along with another pup and their parents. The tree snaped from the wind, and came crashing down, one of the pups was killed in the fall, the parents took off I guess, and Douglas was left squealing by himself. Later that day the neighbor saw their cat with somthing in its mouth (Douglas) he rescued him from the cat and put him over in my yard for what ever reason (of course I had know idea he did this). So, about a week later I went out to the shed to grab somthing (which is where the neighbor had put him) and he came wobbling up to the door, badly dehydrated, but some how still alive. We took him in, nursed him back to health using Esbilac (puppy formula), and by then we had become far to attached to release him. Not to mention, because of his contact with humans and my cat, he had developed absolutely no fear of potential predetors, which would be a death sentence if he was released. But man, I'll tell you, it was quite a survival story for him. First the tree he lives in comes crashing down, then he almost gets eaten by a cat, and then hes left for dead for over a week. If thats not a survivior I don't know what is.

Douglas was a victim of the hurricanes last year. He was a pup living in a huge pine tree in my neighbors yard, along with another pup and their parents. The tree snaped from the wind, and came crashing down, one of the pups was killed in the fall, the parents took off I guess, and Douglas was left squealing by himself. Later that day the neighbor saw their cat with somthing in its mouth (Douglas) he rescued him from the cat and put him over in my yard for what ever reason (of course I had know idea he did this). So, about a week later I went out to the shed to grab somthing (which is where the neighbor had put him) and he came wobbling up to the door, badly dehydrated, but some how still alive. We took him in, nursed him back to health using Esbilac (puppy formula), and by then we had become far to attached to release him. Not to mention, because of his contact with humans and my cat, he had developed absolutely no fear of potential predetors, which would be a death sentence if he was released. But man, I'll tell you, it was quite a survival story for him. First the tree he lives in comes crashing down, then he almost gets eaten by a cat, and then hes left for dead for over a week. If thats not a survivior I don't know what is.

Do you keep him in a cage, or does he roam free?

I keep him in a 10g aquarium... Just kidding. I built him a 6'x6'x3' cage that sits right in our bedroom. I let him out (indoors) multiple times through the day. He's potty trained, so he wont use the bathroom outside of his cage, unless you leave him out for an extended period of time. I would let him roam the house most of the time, but unfortunately he does what squirels like to do, chew anything he can get his mouth on, so you have to give full attention when he's out. He plays, comes when you call him, and is overall (just like all squirels) far more intellegent than most people think. The best way to describe it, is that it's like having a miniture dog, or monkey. The only downfall is, he doesn't like anybody but me. He chases Stella, Heather and the cat (our cat's affraid of him).

One more thing I just wanted to ad, Douglas is an indoor squirrel, but when I was a kid we had another orphaned squirrel that we raised. When he got older, we would actually let him out during the day, and then we would go out and call him before it got dark, and he would stay in a cage in the house at night. Did this for years, but one time he never came back.

My squirrel ran away years ago. He looked happy to be free and I let him have it his way :)

My dog is only bound by an invisible fence that runs the perimeter of the yard.

Maybe you should do away with your invisible dog fence and see if he wants to be free as well.:)