Sign in to follow this  
Lou Beach

Best additive or method to prevent window streaking?

Question

House I did today, when finished had streaked windows from the cleaning.

What is a good additive to add to house wash to prevent this or method applied that would prevent the window streaking?

Thanks

24 answers to this question

If you had streaking, my initial reaction is that you allowed the house wash mix to dry, which is a definite no-no. I apply the mix to an entire side of a house, and within 30-45 seconds, completely rinse the windows. You should not have streaking. The other thought is the windows leaked a bit, and the streaks you saw were inside the house.

I've used Cascade Rinse additive, normally used in automatic dishwashers, and it helps a bit, but really, under normal circumstances, no rinse aid is needed.

Come to think of it, it was very windy when I was doing this house and I may have let the house wash dry on the windows before rinsing it off. That seems the most likely cause for the streaking. I wanted to let the housewash soak on the vinyl becaue the vinyl was so moldy and in the process forgot about the windows.

My fault, will pay closer attention next time to the window dwell time.

To be quite honest here, the only one who benefits from using Steve's rinse aid, is Steve.

A quality house wash mixture has all the necessary ingrediants to facilite rinsing.

Lou, definitely be aware of your windows. Rinse them constantly. If Emulsifier Plus dries on them you have to buff them out with a glass compound to get them clear again. I have found the Emulsifier Plus to be the worst offender of this over any other housewash mix I have blended or used. If you really want windows to shine, run a brush over them.

If you had streaking, my initial reaction is that you allowed the house wash mix to dry, which is a definite no-no. I apply the mix to an entire side of a house, and within 30-45 seconds, completely rinse the windows. You should not have streaking. The other thought is the windows leaked a bit, and the streaks you saw were inside the house.

I've used Cascade Rinse additive, normally used in automatic dishwashers, and it helps a bit, but really, under normal circumstances, no rinse aid is needed.

I agree!!!! Rinse/wet windows within less than a minute and in the heat of the summer even quicker, and after you rinse whole side hit them again. This is definitly a situation where you rinse, rinse, rinse. I tell my worker constantly about rinsing windows & shrubs, windows I dont want to have to come back & clean and I never do, with good rinsing

We squeegee all of our windows after washing before they dry. Only takes a few seconds and the windows sparkle every time. We also use this as a selling tool- Free exterior window cleaning with purchase of exterior house wash.

In the yellow pages we run an ad under the window cleaning section. "FREE WINDOW CLEANING!" ...with the purchase of complete exterior house wash.

I've stolen quite a bit of business from would be window washers this way.

We squeegee all of our windows after washing before they dry. Only takes a few seconds and the windows sparkle every time. We also use this as a selling tool- Free exterior window cleaning with purchase of exterior house wash.

In the yellow pages we run an ad under the window cleaning section. "FREE WINDOW CLEANING!" ...with the purchase of complete exterior house wash.

Craig,

Do use an extension pole to reach the windows or a ladder?

I like the Free Window Cleaning Idea... thanks for sharing.

Thanks,

Mike

To be quite honest here, the only one who benefits from using Steve's rinse aid, is Steve.

A quality house wash mixture has all the necessary ingrediants to facilite rinsing.

I've noticed a big difference in how the windows dry when I use the rinse-aid, or when I've used other over-the-counter rinse aids like Jet-Dry.

Have you ever used Steve's rinse aid?

We've had better results with Steve's rinse aid. I believe he's supposed to benefit - that would be the purpose of his business. The support that one gets from their supplier is more often than not, what is worth the extra penny or two in difference in a product.

Celeste

The support that one gets from their supplier is more often than not, what is worth the extra penny or two in difference in a product.

Celeste

Agreed. Try calling espec and say "Umm...I used emulsifier plus and it did such and such to this guy's siding...what do I do?" and see what they tell you. LOL.

I'm not a big fan of using the "FREE" in advertising because most people with average intelligence know that nothing is free. I also find that advertising "free" add on's, only lures that kind of customers that I don't want (bargain hunters). I like using the word "INCLUDED" as in "thorough window cleaning - included at no additional charge!". Just my opinion.

As for streaked windows, mine usually come out crystal clear with just my regular housewash (emulsifer plus and bleach). I am quite the stickler for making sure they are very well rinsed. The only time I run into problems, is if the house has vinyl soffits above the window and a little water manages to slowly leak down the window, and unfortunately, it's usually somthing I don't notice until I go back around and inspect the house after completion.

I have used Cascade rinse aids, and I'm not sure I could tell any difference. Have not used Steve's yet, maybe someday. Actually as I think about it, water conditions in different geographic regions may play more of a role in whether or not rinse aids are a benefit.

There is no one size fits all. What works for you may not work for me.

Probably not the issue here but the water quality can also play a big role in rinsing.(Well water with heavy mineral content opposed to treated city water) Just thought I'd throw this out there.

I have used Cascade rinse aids, and I'm not sure I could tell any difference. Have not used Steve's yet, maybe someday. Actually as I think about it, water conditions in different geographic regions may play more of a role in whether or not rinse aids are a benefit.

There is no one size fits all. What works for you may not work for me.

Exactly! I don't use the rinse aid for every application. I typically only use it when the homeowner has expressed concern over the windows, or when I'm using well water. Normally with city water, the windows don't spot up much at all, but some customers are more picky than others. I always use it with well water, because water is much harder and windows spot pretty bad without it.

I just felt it unfair to make it seem like Steve was selling a product that was essentially snake oil..It isn't. If it were, I wouldn't waste my money (though it really is pennies per house).

Oh I know Steve carries good stuff, I use several of his chemicals. All I'm saying is that the rinse aid may not be necessary for all people, all applications, or maybe even not at all. It's not so much the few pennies it costs, it's just another jug I'd have to lug around in the trailer.

I use a 8 to 10 count (depends on how fast you count) while adding cascade. Give it a good squeeze and count. All there is to it.

Just like Grandma, a "dab" othis, a "smidgin" othat, never measured anything.

Until you get good Lou. Brush around the window and agitate the glass then rinse. If stuff has dried on the glass dip your brush in the cleaning solution and go over what has dried. Rinse!