Sign in to follow this  
CCPC

Business plan, or not?

How many out there had a formal business plan when starting there business?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. How many out there had a formal business plan when starting there business?

• Yes, had a formal, written business plan during start up
    • Yes, I have a business plan now, but didn't at start up
    • No business plan, but I,m working on one
    • No business plan, I don't need one
    • I have a business plan, but nothing written, or formal

I was a bit curious about this topic. I for one had some loose notes about what I wanted out of this, but nothing formal, or to detailed. I have a feeling that many who start this kind of business don't have a formal business plan, at least in the begining. It would be interesting to see what everyones plans are for their businesses down the road. It seems that some are out to conquer the world, and others wanted nothing more than a bit more freedom from their regular 8 to 5.

I know that in my case, I dreamed of starting my own business since I was 11 years old, and now (30 years old and in business for 3 years), I've been as happy as a sissy in an all boys camp. For me, I take it day to day, and feel not urgency to try too grow to fast. I like my one man show, do very little advertising, and now have the freedom I've longed for since I started putting money in someone elses pocket when I was a teenager. I regret all of the effort and life I wasted for peanuts over the years. In all honesty, if I would have known it would have been this easy, I would have started out on my own years ago.

first to vote, yes i had a formal plan. My plan has altered some.

I started including property purchase for retirement about 7 years back.

I kept going to conventions for food places and kept hearing we are not just in the food service we are in realestate investment company.

My eyes opened wide

I was partially funded by a grant from my vocrehab, so I had to write and stick to a detailed business plan from the start. I have moved some, and wish I had known of these forums earlier. I would have invested in larger equip earlier.

Still I have no real complaints, as I know from my plan not to expect too much too soon. Then when I exceed my planned expectations, it feels great.

I was injured in a work accident and didnt want to go back into being a union steel painter and when I moved to Myrtle Beach saw the need for pressure washing and decided to do it part-time and within a year, I realized that the need for pressure washing & reliable contractors in this area, could lead to a profitable business. I didnt work out a formal plan, but I did work out plans in my head and started from there. I'm doing alot better than i thought I would be by this time, so my informal plans are working. Ive thought about doing other ventures or spin off type biz's, other than PW biz. But this area needs good reliable PW contractors and there is just so much that needs to be cleaned always.

My plans are to have a small fleet of machines & workers that always have work. To be able to make a good living and have good employees and to pay them a living wage and someday offer them some benifits. I figure if i have that, I have a good business.

My unwritten plan is to organize my business. The office stuff, this could be my only real down fall

Ours was always in our heads and never hit paper, however with the expansion plans we have for other services, I can't wait to come up for air after Thanksgiving so I can get some stuff on paper. It sure will make it easier to determine if we've met the succcess that we think we have :)

Celeste

I wrote a business plan, but yearly I have had to modify it. The main reason is my definition of success has changed. I live modestly (no fancy rigs or 8 gpm machines on my work vehicle, four year old car etc) At the same time, I want to retire when I am 50. I figure to travel and enjoy life with Christine that will require no mortgage or debt, $2 million in liquidity and hope I don't live much over 80 (kidding)

As I have explored this business, one thing has become clear. Financial freedom cannot be achieved having this as your sole business investment (unless you live in your mom's basement, have no kids and eat Ramen noodles three times per day and have excellent financial advisors)

Unless you clearly define where you want to be and how you are going to get there you will get nowhere. That's just a fact of life. Yes the bills will get paid and you may work your way up to having a few play dollars every month.

Having an unwritten business plan is not really a business plan, it's a mental hopes and dreams list.

I am a spewer of cliches and here is the one that applies.

Failing to plan is planning to fail.

Here is a great link: http://www.sba.gov/starting_business/startup/guide.html

Good stuff you'll. As I stated before, I have no written business plan. I started this business part time, and did a lot of failing to plan. I didn't have it in mind at the time that it would turn into what it is now, and have been trying to rack my brain where I want to go with this. I don't have aspirations of staying in this business until I'm sixty, nor do I want to be powerwash king of Jacksonville with 10 rigs running around. I want to gain more experience in the business end of things, and then decide what my next venture is going to be. The problem is, I haven't any concrete ideas yet, so I continue to save every penny I can, while still balanceing the budget enough to allow my business to continue to grow (slowly). I'm actually thinking about taking a few business classes at night, thought this might help get the wheels in my head spinning a little faster. I'm content for now, but I'm starting to get the itch again.

I sat down over the winter months a few years back and wrote a business plan. I have to say it opened my eyes to a lot of things I really didn't think about. I think it's something that needs to be changing as your business grows. Putting it in your filing cab and not looking at it is not a good plan.

I was fortunate enough to of found the forums before considering PW for a living. I was curious if there was money in it, but the boards are what fueled my fire all last winter. I had so much stuff written down from doing research that all I had to do was put it all together into a business plan. I wouldn't call it formal but it gave me a lot of direction. A business plan serves as a map to get you where you want to go. I recommend anyone thinking of owning their own business, even part time, to write a business plan. There are lot of books and sites to help you write one.

I really cant say a whole lot about business.Im 45 yrs young and retired .I presently do deck restorations since 1999.this is just a hobby of mine that i really like doing .I to own a lot of realestate all due to my bringing up by my parents .If it hadnt been for my parents setting me straight .dont know where i would of been today.I was fortunate to have business minded parents.I wanted to buy a new truck at the age of 17 ;my father wouldnt co sign for a truck .In the end result he co signed for a loan for a piece of property instead of the truck.I thank god i have parents like this and still living.Im proud of my succesions ive made .of course we all made bad decissions in our life.Just think back and dont do that again .must have a positive attitude towards everything you do .then you will succed to the richs and so on .My life style is a chosen one of which my wife and i enjoy our selves .365 days a year .We do as we want when we want dont owe nobody nothing and its a good feeling with no stress in your life.Well enough of this book.going to destin for 2 weeks of fishing.c ya ltr live like you never lived and dont be afraid of taking giant leaps for success Have to spend tomake life good .

A business plan is always changing, always adapting to different situations. It's what keeps your focus straight and allows you to get where you need to be.

So yeah, I had and have a business plan.

Our formal training of business plans came from the PDCA. I was Certified a few years back, now changed to Accreditation. Part of the requirement is for a business plan. Having one makes sense. It gives you a guide to follow. Let's you know if your goals have been realistic and or met. Educating ourselves is important. Knowing where we start, travel to and finish is what every sucessful business knows eventually. By knowing where you will be next year in business will help you get there this year. Example: If I know I need a new truck next year, I can save this year. Writing it down will let me know how much to save and when I need to have the money available to buy. Changing the plan is always an option. You must change, but you need to ask why. Is it because the business slowed or maybe you didn't save the money for the truck as you said you would. This is a thermometer for your business. Thank You.

It's funny that this thread comes out now. I am currently reading a book by Michael E. Gerber called E-Myth Mastery(The Seven Essential Disciplines for Building a World Class Business) This book is awesome for any in business for themselves. It is a step by step process on how to build a business with a plan. Everyone should read it and do the work. It has a website to go along with the book which allows you to download materials (forms) needed to complete your business plan. (Free)

Tiger

I would like to see a sample business plan, other than saying to myself I Want to do 25 house washes this year, and a gamble on classified advertizing would bring me that business - I have had no real business plan. I think I have an evolving business plan in my head when it concerns painting - and it has something to do with things like, I won't take certain exterior painting jobs if the house is older than 50 years, has more than 15 coats of paint, requires 40 foot ladder work - or needs more than 200 man-hours. Is that a business plan? Without knowledge as to how many advertizing dollars spent will bring in certain amount of work - I don't know how to incorporate that into a business plan - I am trying to figure out what parts of the year I will get my most pressure washing work - and not accept painting jobs during those times unless they fall within a rigorous set of requirements - such as I can boogie anytime I feel like it. Could that be considered part of business plan? Perhaps my business plan is as simple as - I won't take any painting work that will interfere one iota with my pressure washing.

As well I am on an interior job from hell - new renovation, blueboard and plaster walls - and as much progress as I make initially - the job is dragging - I might decide to no longer be the 'first' painter anymore. And certainly these veneer plastering jobs are a nightmare along with poplar trim wood - which is turning into a nightmare.

I would like to see a sample business plan, other than saying to myself I Want to do 25 house washes this year, and a gamble on classified advertizing would bring me that business - I have had no real business plan. I think I have an evolving business plan in my head when it concerns painting - and it has something to do with things like, I won't take certain exterior painting jobs if the house is older than 50 years, has more than 15 coats of paint, requires 40 foot ladder work - or needs more than 200 man-hours. Is that a business plan? Without knowledge as to how many advertizing dollars spent will bring in certain amount of work - I don't know how to incorporate that into a business plan - I am trying to figure out what parts of the year I will get my most pressure washing work - and not accept painting jobs during those times unless they fall within a rigorous set of requirements - such as I can boogie anytime I feel like it. Could that be considered part of business plan? Perhaps my business plan is as simple as - I won't take any painting work that will interfere one iota with my pressure washing.

As well I am on an interior job from hell - new renovation, blueboard and plaster walls - and as much progress as I make initially - the job is dragging - I might decide to no longer be the 'first' painter anymore. And certainly these veneer plastering jobs are a nightmare along with poplar trim wood - which is turning into a nightmare.

Here ya go Danny!

Business Plan for an Established Business.doc

Business Plan for a Startup Business.doc

I was a bit curious about this topic. I for one had some loose notes about what I wanted out of this, but nothing formal, or to detailed. I have a feeling that many who start this kind of business don't have a formal business plan, at least in the begining. It would be interesting to see what everyones plans are for their businesses down the road. It seems that some are out to conquer the world, and others wanted nothing more than a bit more freedom from their regular 8 to 5.

I know that in my case, I dreamed of starting my own business since I was 11 years old, and now (30 years old and in business for 3 years), I've been as happy as a sissy in an all boys camp. For me, I take it day to day, and feel not urgency to try too grow to fast. I like my one man show, do very little advertising, and now have the freedom I've longed for since I started putting money in someone elses pocket when I was a teenager. I regret all of the effort and life I wasted for peanuts over the years. In all honesty, if I would have known it would have been this easy, I would have started out on my own years ago.

I had ONE "business plan " only, the plan to succeed.

Failure was NOT an option.

I took steps early to insure our success.

I shot from the hip, folllowed my Instincts.

However, I have YEARS of Sales Experience, giving me a HUGE advantage.

The SECRET to this business is SELLING, plain and simple.

If you can't sell, this is not for you.

Either hire someone who can, or stay out.