Sign in to follow this  
Jeff

How to get to Prop managers

Over the past year Ive had several people ask how I get to Property managers and how i get some of the condo work I get.

Anybody want to share how they get their work Any helpful hint or good ideas that you want to share to help some newbies or pros list them!

Im no expert on getting the work but I want to share some things that have worked for me.

Alot has to do with the area your in, like my area theres a ton of condo complexes, hotels& retail places. So 1st of all I would think you have to figure out what the market is in your areas and target that market. Like I said theres a ton of condos and neighborhoods run by HOA's so thats what I target. All the complexes & neighborhood usually hire property management companies, so you have to target them also.

I probably do alot of things the hard way due to the fact that Im no marketing wiz, am not that great with computers and in my past had no need to do this kind of targeting, but with a little hard work & luck Ive been staying busy and have gained a good name in my area.

The 1st condo complex job i got I lucked into, I did some work for a property services company and i asked the guy to spread my name around and he did. he helped me get a 10 building complex. I did it and it went real well. After that I knew I wanted more of this condo work. Then I did 2 small jobs at 2 different condo complexes for a resident. I asked the who their HOA Prez was and their Prop Mang. Co. Now both of these properties needed cleaning, so I started calling the PM's & HOA, I asked them if I could submit a proposal to clean the properties, they werent really looking for proposals yet but they said OK. I wrote up proposal and faxed it to them, i waited a called them to make sure they got it and asked them if they had any questions please feel free to call me or if they had any other properties they wanted me to lok at. I called these PM every month for a few months, then I finally got them to call me. Now i had no real idea on pricing , because I had no real experience but i figured the projects on how long it would take me and materials & labor. I knew that it was competitive around here so I kept my prices reasonable to try to get my foot in the door. I ended up getting these 2 properties. One is 35 buildings & 1 is 32 buildings. I was actually scared to do these 2 large jobs because of lack of expeirence. but i got a crew together a few machines and i went for it. Everything came out great and everybody was happy with the job I did. These 2 jobs is when I quit my night job and went fulltime. These 2 jobs Ive done twice already and have them scheduled for 2006

These 2 jobs have lead to many many more jobs for me. So what I have to say is look around find properties that need your services and go for it. Now that I had the names of these property managers, I knew I had a contact , So what I did and it works is call them, write them, fax them and ASK FOR WORK!!!

Asking for work works, I ask all the time Ill ask residential & commercial customers all the time for work or ask them to pass my name on. A major part of me getting work is being persitant. Just because they say they dont have work for you now doesnt mean they wont in the future. I tell EVERY PM I talk to that i want ALL their work

Now when I submit a bid/proposal I do a detailed proposal. I write up scope of work in detail requirements, process etc. I also send a list of reference and a past projects list. Both these list arent always easy to have if your first starting out. I had a couple names of commercial properties I did and they werent big jobs but I listed the names and it helped. Most PM wont call your references just because they are busy. Now with PM's I tell them Ill do any PW job large or small. Quite often they will start you out with some small projects, just to see if you are reliable and do a good job. You have to be reliable, I get a call from a PM I make sure I go look at the project that day or the next and I get a proposal to them quick and Ill send a cover letter thanking them for the call.

How else can you get work?

WRITE, FAX, CALL and do it OFTEN. You have to get your name in front of these people as much as possible. I compile list. I look on the internet, super pages etc. I write down every PM company name & address, fax# I can find, I look at their web sights and try to get names from the site of the PM's or presidents of the companies. Then I start. If I have a name I address it to them, If I have no name I address it to Prop> Mang Dept. I do a letter of introduction, explain what I can do for them and ask for work. Once tis letter goes out I start faxing them and calling their offices. Now when I call their offices, I sort of chicken so Im happy when I can get a voice mail. Ill leave a quick message stating " Hi, Im just doing a follow up call. i wrote you about the srevices i offer and i was wondering if i could be of service to you" leaveyour name & # and call the next one. Now the faxing i think works well also . Ill make something simple up on the computer and fax it every couple months give or take. I make sure it reads well. My company name BIG and what I offer. Ill change fliers often but they basically say the same thing. As Im faxing Im also writing up a new letter to send. To get a call it may take weeks, months over a year or you may never get a call. I have PM's Ive written for 2 years and never got a call from them > I figure maybe someday i get a call. Im not a great speller or that great with grammer so I always have my wife proof read everything I send out. You dont want them to think your an idiot. You dont have to do high dollar brouchures but the have to have correct spelling etc.

I work for several PM's now some get me alotof work some just one job, but I write & fax them all the same MANY MANY TIMES. I also send them biz cards always, I figure they might stick it in their roledex or desk and they might go to it.

When ever you write or fax , do follow up. I even go to there offices every once in a while Ill get a dozen or 2 of donuts and tape my biz cards to them and jsut drop them off

Now you do a good job and this is when you dont let go. Keep thanking them for the work and ask for more and ask them to tell others about you, many will . Its hard to find a reliable contractor and when they do , they quite often will tell others, I get alot of referall work

SORRY for the long post, got tired of wrapping Xmas presnts at 3 in the am so I thought Id write this up. Theres many ways to get work Im sure and I'll write more ideas that I do but its time to go to Walmart and get the rest of the Xmas dinner

Just remember WRITE FAX CALL, be persistant and do great work and do it on time

See Ya MERRY XMAS

Jeff

ANYBODY ELSE GOT GOOD IDEAS ? Im always looking for something new that works

Some more ideas

Do a newsletter

This year i gave out about 35 Company T Shirts

Im going to do pens & cups and drop them off at PM offices, so they'll see my name all the time.

Call, Fax, Write

I want to do more parking garages so Ive already dropped off fliers for parking garage cleaning to the large condo towers & hotel. I have more to do and I'll drop them off at least a few times a year and some I fax. I drop them at front desk and ask them to give it to the General manager.

Offer to do a sample on a large property, doesnt have to be a big sample.

Always have a photo album ready to show people

JL

Great ideas Jeff. Antiime you read Jeff's posts, they come off very intense. Like he is excited when he is writing it. I am sure he takes that with him on the sales trail and a skill like that is priceless. People probably think he is excited, and happy, doing what he does and that is contagious.

I've also been targeting more commercial work in the last few months than I ever have. While i mainly work on log homes, it is all the same. I go in, and the first person you hit is the Gatekeeper, usually the person you need to talk to's secretary. My quest starts like this:

Me: Hi!

gatekeeper (G): May I help you?? (wait for them to ask this)

Me: hmmmm, I dunno, you see, (while handing a few cards) I am in the business of restoring log homes and doing structural and log repair, and I thought you guys would be a good place to send a brochure to. Who would be the person in charge of this sort of thing?? (knowing it is them)

G: That would be Mr. Smith.

Me: Ah, I see. Is this his office? Could I have his biz card? (always get cards)

G: Sure. (hopefully by this time a conv. has started about what you do)

Me: (if no conversation, ask what they've done in the past)

This works for me, and I always get in to talk to the person I want. I actually never even end up sending a brochure, because I normally get in right away to discuss my services.

I think Jeff is also correct in that these people just want someone reliable that will do a good job and not cause them trouble. Always, always, always remember, there is way more work out there than there are good people to do it.

Like Jeff, always on the lookout for the next client. Get guerrilla, I've found decisionmakers before and followed them into places hoping they'll see my shirt and ask ME a question.

Above all else, NETWORK. I'd think for doing things like Jeff does, there'd be some great civic orgs to join, maybe some type of condo manager association, etc. Make sure everyone knows what you do. People call me and have the wrong number and I say, "no, you've reached X, and this is the service we provide for log homes." Ya never know.

Thanks guys, just trying to help. I hope maybe someone benifits from some of it. Theres a million ways of doing things, I wish I knew them all, Id be rich & happy!

I like that "Get Guerrilla" Its true not many things in life are just handed to you, you have to go get what you want. Even when the works coming in you/Icant rest. Hell Id like all the work, now highly unlikely but I plan on getting a whole lot of it.We all can everything has to be cleaned eventually.

JL

Jeff, great post and thanks for your willingness to share. This post can be very helpful to the newbie or seasoned vet looking to target new areas for his/her business.

Great ideas Jeff. Antiime you read Jeff's posts, they come off very intense. Like he is excited when he is writing it. I am sure he takes that with him on the sales trail and a skill like that is priceless. People probably think he is excited, and happy, doing what he does and that is contagious.

This is one of the truly great things I've learned from reading Jeff's post's here and elsewhere: Remember that you love what you do and that life is good.

I think this is the best sales advice you can give somebody, be excited to do the job, and enthusiastically show and explain to your prospective customer what you will do, how, and why.

Jeff is always psyched to do the next job, and that energy is contagious, I know I get excited halfway across the country!:)

This is one of the truly great things I've learned from reading Jeff's post's here and elsewhere: Remember that you love what you do and that life is good.

I think this is the best sales advice you can give somebody, be excited to do the job, and enthusiastically show and explain to your prospective customer what you will do, how, and why.

Jeff is always psyched to do the next job, and that energy is contagious, I know I get excited halfway across the country!:)

Dudes your making me blush, No really I appreciate all the nice comments. I always thought I bored or even pissed some people off, but I didnt really care because I also knew some wanted advise or at least some ideas. I know alot of guys are struggling with how to get work sometimes. So i like to share my experiences, some of my job pictures etc. I know I do gety excited, theres nothing better than getting a call from a property manager saying you got the job, a job that you worked to get, then doing the job and they come and tell you everybody was real happy. Then you know your in there!!!!!

Alot for me has been going and getting the work and yes some luck also, but if i can do it & get lucky, with my limited business experience (none) I know anyone who really tries can also. I figure Im lucky to be here on this earth and I know life is good, great family and a fun business to watch grow. What more can a guy ask for.

Thanks again for the motivation, your comments are a nice Xmas present to me. :lghohoho:

Althou I wouldnt mind winning a 100 million Powerball. I might just give up PWing and become an international playboy. Id have to ask my wife

Jeff,

A truly great post. Every now and then a great post pops on these bb and yours is one of them and its a nice christmas present for all. Stay Excited and enthusiastic as you are and your business will continuously prosper.

Thanks for the post.

John & guys, "Truly great post" you guys have gone crazy or a little to much holiday cheer:cheers: , but thanks

Anybody got any other ways they get work or approach possible customers or commercial accounts

I have an idea, grab them by their necks and drag them outside of their property and say look at this dirty mess, pay me to clean it or else, what do you think ? lol

Hey its 3am Xmas morning and I have my wife setting up the Thomas the Train track, because I gave up. I sure wish they put the measurement on the outside of the box. This darn thing is 5' X 8' it takes up over half my dining room. It didnt look thatbig on the box:lglolly:

I cant wait until Joshua wakes up, Santa has been good to him this year!!!!!!

One thing that I could add is this: If you don't get the call back soon don't give up. I have done two jobs for a contractor and have not heard from him in maybe three months. From time to time I will call and leave a message on his cell phone voice mail(I guess he sends me to it). Anyhow on Thursday he called me to ask if I wanted a job, I said sure & told him how much per s.f. He said he would call me back. Sure thing 5 minutes later he called me back and said "Go Ahead". I then had to figure exactly how much the job was worth. $6,000 Now I normally don't quote over the phone like this but I know his work and his pay plan and what to expect.

The last building I cleaned for him was around $3200 and he wrote me a check out before I was done and through in an extra $100 because he said I had to stay in a hotel. Thank you very much, the hotel was already figured in his price.

I clean brick on new construction and it is a little bit different than chasing parking garage where someone has the option of cleaning or not. On most brick construction jobs the brick will be cleaned by someone, I just try to get there early and start marketing the job then. If I see a job with brick ties on it, I will stop then instead of waiting until the mason has finished. If I wait that long then many times you are too late.

With property managers it may take them until there next year so than can work a job into their budget, so it is very important not to give up soon, just as Jeff has stated above.

Oh by the way I know Jeff and I would not call his post exciting, you got to meet him in person and then you will know what excited is.

What can I say, I love my biz.

Jim can do the new construction!!!!! He does it and his full time day job and usually gets it done on weekends and makes a pretty penny, real pretty.

Ive called Jim a couple times and told him when I see a new brick job starting and he's already been there and talked to the contractor. He's smart, thats the way you do it.

You cant wait for it to come to you, you have to go and get it. And In time it will come to you also

Hey Jim hope you had a great Christmas!!!!

Stainlessdeal{QUOTE}I think this is the best sales advice you can give somebody, be excited to do the job, and enthusiastically show and explain to your prospective customer what you will do, how, and why.

This is right on!!! Some people, PM's Owners, etc just dont know or really think about PWing. You have explain to them the benifits of doing it. PWing makes a difference, a big difference. Stainless is right.....What, How & Why, 3 things that are great selling points

Your customers are your money, educate them! Sell Sell Sell!!!!:lgmoneyey

The Original post is great, but then comes reality, and that is you will do all the hard work, and then they go and get 5 competitive bids, abd then you realize you are SOL, WHY BECAUSE, PROPERTY Managers see your point but they will not pay what it really cost's to make it look good, they care, about one thing, lowest price regardless about quality they could care less so you do all the leg work and they end up hiring a painter, janitor etc.. that will do it for 1/4 of what you bid it at, if yoyu arent the lowest bidder you dont have

a prayer ..

Sorry to bust your bubble, but that is the truth, and at the price most commercial places are willing to pay, you wont make more than maybe 10-15 dollars an hour after expenses..

HARDLY WORTH IY..???

An attitude like that won't get you anywhere because there is always someone willing to do something cheaper. That is another reason for doing samples. If you do a sample to show how well you can do it then the janitors and painters will have a hard time matching your sample. Better yet have them get the other samples first.

A fine example of this is a job I did last January. It was an 1800's school that had been added on to and was nasty. The contractor was renovating it and turning it in to medical offices. I gave them a price from what I can remember around $9500. Guess who else they called? the painter. The painter did a sample with clorox downstreamed on the wall rinsed and hit the road. I did a sample right beside of him with a restoration cleaner and voila the difference in the original and mine were night and day. You could not even see where he had did his sample. His price--$4500. I got the job and ended up adding another $3500 for some additional work on the same building. If you look at Jeff's post on parking garages, he just finished a garage that had a jack-leg do it last year and now he has the garage to do every year because of doing quality work.

The Original post is great, but then comes reality, and that is you will do all the hard work, and then they go and get 5 competitive bids, abd then you realize you are SOL, WHY BECAUSE, PROPERTY Managers see your point but they will not pay what it really cost's to make it look good, they care, about one thing, lowest price regardless about quality they could care less so you do all the leg work and they end up hiring a painter, janitor etc.. that will do it for 1/4 of what you bid it at, if yoyu arent the lowest bidder you dont have

a prayer ..

Sorry to bust your bubble, but that is the truth, and at the price most commercial places are willing to pay, you wont make more than maybe 10-15 dollars an hour after expenses..

HARDLY WORTH IY..???

Rfitz, you are right in many cases, but WRONG in many cases. This is where having a good reputation and a good working relationship with PM's & properties come in handy. I have PM's & HOA's that have told me they have gotten burnt by crappy contractors and thats why they use me. They know they get a good finished product with me

Now I have one PM company that is excactly like you describe and I know theres many others. BUT I have several property managers that ONLY call me

I tell/ask PM's I work for if Im not the lowest bidder tell me and show me the lower bids and lets see if I can adjust my bid. This is where a good working relationship comes in handy. Theres a lower bid thats say 2,3,4 hundred lower than me. I tell them sure I can drop a few hundred, I have no problem doing that, to land a job thats in the thousands of $$$$'s. Now theres been times the bid or previous contractor has been much lower and Ive told them theres no way I can come close to that price and I havent got the job and a few times I have got the job , because the previous contractor did a crummy job & was unreliable

Like I said many HOA's around here have been burnt by crappy, unqualified, unreliable contractors so when a PM tells them they know a great PW contractor "me" they go with the PM's recomendation. Many PM's and properties dont want the janitor or painter or landscaper doing the work because they've gone that route and regretted it

Rfitz let me give you some examples.....

1)I work for 1 PM and he oversee's many highend residential nieghborhoods. Now these are jobs in the couple hundred to around $2500 range, jobs like cleaning there pool areas, clubhouses, all the concrete sidewalks, curbs, mailboxes, fences etc etc. He calls me and says give him a price to do this & that. I call him with a price and he says DO IT, thats it no competitive bidding involved. I did one property were they took bids and he recomended going with me the HOA went with his recomendation. I get good money for these projects. I charge $.10 for flatwrk on these smaller jobs and in one case I charged $.14 because it was so dirty & 40 minutes away from my normal work area. I only once did not get a job I bid with this PM and that was because the HOA wanted only to go with lowest bidder and it was way low and that was OK. I also have gotten many referealls from this PM to other PM's

2) Another PM told me he likes the fact that I specialize in just PWing and thats why he uses me. I get well over 70% of every job I bid for him. He told me since I started working for him , he wont hire the landscaper or painter to do his work. I love it when I hear something like that, it just makes me feel soooooo good lol

3) I do a gutter cleaning job for 1 PM, 26 condo buildngs they had their carpenter contractor do it for them for the past couple years and he would hire some day laborers. He did it for them 4 times a year for a toatl of $5000 yearly. Well after he was done it would rain and the downspouts would be clogged and the HOA prez would take their maint. guy and go unclog the downspouts, the got tired of the crappy work. They called me because I clean their buidings annually and they know I do good work. I told them I cant do it for $5000 annually if they want it done 4 times a year. Their budget was $5000 I got the job and I only do it TWICE a year and they're happy, Ill be doing it again this Feb.

4) Another gutter cleaning job. its 4 different HOA on one large property a total of 47 buildings. They had several different contractors over the years doing it quarterly and the prices were low, well most of them never showed up to do it again, either they realized that there price was to low or they just werent in biz anymore. So whats the use of a low price if they cant the job done and the clogged gutters are damaging the property. well Ive done it now 4 times and am still under contract to do it for another year. I rent a lift and charge them well over $5000 each time and it never takes me and 1 or 2 other guys more than 4 days the last 2 times it only took under 3 days

5) I PW a complex 35 buildings 181 units, Ive done it 2 times already and will be doing it again in june. One board member wanted to get other bids the last time and the PM told me the others only wanted to use me, but they got 2 other bids one was higher than me but the other was $5.00 less per unit, they could of saved $905, they stayed with me. WHY? because they knew it wold be done right and on time!!! I also got the job to clean all the concrte in the complex, sidewalks, curbs, & 181 small driveways. NO OTHER BIDS TAKEN

6) NOW HERES A GOOD EXAMPLE. I just finished a parking garage, it was 107,000 sq ft. This past summer a PM recomended me to this propety to clean two 6 story walls of the property. I did it and I awsnt the lowest bidder but they went with me because of the recomendation. The GM & Chief of Maint. LOVED US. the Chief of maint. could get over the fact that we were there on time, had all our own tools and did a great job. He even called the PM and sang our praises. Well the past 2 years they have had a company out of GA come in and do the parking garage. The property didnt know any better but these guys , 3 of the from GA would come in and spray chem and white nozzle the hole 107K garage with cold water and the property wasnt that happy at all with the finished product. So the Maint chief ask me if I could do better. I EDUCATED HIM & THE GM. I told them how it should be done with hot water, good chems, & surface cleaners. I gave him a price of $.08 a sq ft it was over $3000 more of what the GA company charged. He said they are going to use me and see how it comes out. They were THRILLED the guy was AMAZED. He told me its 1000% better and it is, He realized the other company didnt really clean anything. I already am signed to do it next December. I got recomended, educated them, did a great job on time with no hassle and I will be doing it again next year.

Now I could give you many other examples of how being a good reliable contractor pays off, but I think this post is long enough.

Now you are absolutly right there are MANY PM & propeties that just dont care, its only lowest bidder, but not all of them

these are all PMs Ive done work for. One other thing I also try with NEW PM companies Ive never worked for is I discount the project.If its a PM company Ive never worked for and I get the call to bid a large job, I explain what I offer, give them a detailed proposal, list of references, past projects list and I tell them when I submit my proposal that I went low on rice, gave them a discount, because I want the job and I want them to see what a great job we can do. Ya my bids a little low but I can still make decent money and may have the chance to bid other properties once they see the work we do.

This has worked and I also have been burnt doing the discount. I had a PM say do the job and then bid on other jobs for them and NOT GOT A ONE. Now theres another PM I did this and he loves our no hassle jobs. He calls all the time and I get most of his work, AT MY PRICE. He told me we do great work and he likes how he gets no complaints. Like he says he knows the job is going or gone great because no has called and complained

I dont live in a fantasy world, I know and have run into many who only care about price, but there are so many properties around here they can keep the jobs that dont want to pay crap. $10.00-$15.00 an hour they can have the job. I dont know to many companies that would last long in biz at those rates.HARDLY WORTH IT IS RIGHT. If coomercial places are only going to pay $10-$15 after everything how do you or anyone stay in biz

I dont want to burst your bubble Rfitz, but the truth is Quality Work, Competitive Rates & On Time Service can & will land you many jobs, not all of them but many. So all in all the leg work is worth it.

Its a great biz PWing, but some of its luck & some of its skill and some you'll never win, but theres alot of us out there making a good living, you just have to keep thinking of ways to make the money

SORRY for the long post:lgbugeyes :lgbonk:

Hope everyone had a great XMAS The LeCours Family sure did!!!

Happy New Year !!!

JL

a prayer ..

HARDLY WORTH IY..???

Rob, I see you're back, but that nothing has changed..you still have the "I know everthing about pressurewashing, and my way is the ONLY way" attitude that you had before.

I think you'll find the response about the same you did last time.

Great thread and good information all the way around. One thing to remember when working with Property Managers is that they also report to someone. If you do a terrific job for the property manager then the property manager will get a "pat" on the back from his/her boss for selecting such a good power wash company.

By having a clean building will attract new tenants and possibel enable the oweners to increase the rent a tad bit and etc, etc.

If you can think your way clearly through this 'cause and effect' marketing then you should do well providing services to this audience.

For us we dabbled in this market over the summer and had mixed results. We do however go after home owner associations and have had great success.

Great thread and good information all the way around. One thing to remember when working with Property Managers is that they also report to someone. If you do a terrific job for the property manager then the property manager will get a "pat" on the back from his/her boss for selecting such a good power wash company.

By having a clean building will attract new tenants and possibel enable the oweners to increase the rent a tad bit and etc, etc.

If you can think your way clearly through this 'cause and effect' marketing then you should do well providing services to this audience.

For us we dabbled in this market over the summer and had mixed results. We do however go after home owner associations and have had great success.

Great points Carlos about the PM's bosses. Also many of the complexes I do are occupied by homeowners or are vacation rentals, so appearance does mean alot. Homeowners in condos just like single family homes want a clean property and dont want the surfaces being damaged. Also resale is a big thing, you can have a beautiful unit , but the outside looks like crap or dirty it will bring the sale price down. If its a vacation rental, you may rent it to someone and they come down and its nice they will likrly rent again if its dirty they probably wont rerent.

Ive found apartment complexes to be some of the dirtiest properties and least often cleaned and they always want the cheapest bid price. I dont target apartment Buildings

Heres some letters & fliers I send out to PM's & properties, They are pretty basic and simple and they get me work.

Maybe they can give you some ideas, hope it helps. I might also have a brouchure made up in the future.

Also you may of seen my newsletter, well it paid off a little I had a property manager call just yesterday and ask me to meet with him, he said he was just reading my newsletter. We met and he had me look at 2 very large condo complexes and a gutter job. I got the gutter job we do it next week 14 buildings and more under construction. Also I explained to him that we want all his PW work and we will work with him on schedule & pricing. The 2 properties he wants done on an anuual basis. I bet we get them, our meeting went real well and Ive done several projects for him. He liked the newsletter and it reminded him to call me.

Jeff

Ive found apartment complexes to be some of the dirtiest properties and least often cleaned and they always want the cheapest bid price. I dont target apartment Buildings

That's because there is always some manager who is under pressure from his manager, or from the owners, to keep expenses to a minimum.

Great info, Jeff! Thanks for the letters!

If you guys get any apartmenst you don't want send 'em my way. I've done two complexes and found them to be very profitable and easy to schedule. IN fact, if I could trade my resi's for 100% apts I'd do it in a heartbeat.