Sign in to follow this  
Washaway

Ask a stupid question and you get a stupid answer.

Question

Here's an interesting topic:

How many of you have been approached, while cleaning with your hover or the wand, not more than 20 feet of you truck and trailer (which is lettered and decaled), and you get asked, "Do you do pressure cleaning?" or "Are you painting?" or "What are you guys doing?"

Better yet......you are at a stop sign and notice the guy behind you honking his horn and getting out of his vehicle. You are not pulling a trailer and the back of you truck is lettered/decaled and the words 'pressure cleaning' appears in your name. The person approaches your window and asks, "Do you do pressure cleaning?".

Please!!!! Share your stories b/c I need to know that I'm not the only one meeting 'these people' who are parked crosswise in a parking spot.

17 answers to this question

I had a lady call me for a estimate to wash her house & deck. I went by and gave her the estimate she advised she was only renting and would sent it to owner with the rent check.

Now for the stupid question!

Then she asked if I could pressure wash her because she was dirty.

A nut!!! I never went back to follow up!! Dangerous!!! & ugly

I do not carry signage, as I am not looking for the average homeowner that usually calls. My work is commercial with very few exceptions, ie repeat residential or referral from them.

The most common question I get is "what do you use that equipment for?" My standard answer is Concrete Cleaning, but if I feel they are a worthy candidate, I will ask them what they need done. Usual answer from them is "just curious". Why bother to ask then is my thought.

You know what? People are silly in the questions they ask. But don't always look at it as a distraction. They may well be considering getting a service done now or in the future. A couple minutes spent on company relations is a great thing. That person will remember you for it. I now keep coupons in the truck. When a person asks questions about a service I hand them a coupon offering a discount, quickly explain the service and let them know very nicely that I better get back to work before the soap dries.

Hey Ken,

Are your coupons some that you have produced by through your printer that does your mailers, etc...? How has your return been on them and is this the only way you give them out? Maybe these would be better addressed in a marketing thread :)

Celeste

Sometimes I think people dont know how to approach us. I have gotten some of the same as Washaway mentioned and it does seem a bit obvious that if they had even read the sign the answer is there.

I have had people come up to where my crew and I are working and ask if we do what we are currently doing. Go figure. It is a bit of a challenge to control the response and keep it pleasant but even my crew ask me why they would ask such a stupid question. I just tell them that there are no stupid questions just stupid people...Just Kidding!

I tell them to be understanding that they may not exactly know how to approach us and sometimes the obvious doesnt sink in. They probably feel pretty embarrased when they go on their way and realize they just asked a really obvious question.

I am sure that most would handle it with courtesy and be polite but admit it, we all shake our heads afterwards.

Rod!~

Had a woman who saw my surface cleaner ask me if I cut lawns.

LOL, me too! They also want to know what that "jet engine thing" is in the back of the trailer.

I think sometimes people may come up and ask "do you do pressure washing" or whatever it is that we're doing, just as a way to start a conversation. Of course they know you do pressure washing, that's what you're doing.

I have had people ask me what I'm doing when I'm cleaning a roofe....I have always answered politely and professionally, with one exception...this lady just caught me on a bad day, so I told her I was painting the roof with a new shingle colored paint. I think she believed me. :)

I usually bite my tounge aswell and then head straight to the bar for a drink.:lgangel:

I was not in a very good mood on this particular day and the job required us to sump h2o from the community lake. This lady has been watching is from her window for hours. We'd show up with empty tanks and 7 minutes later we'd leave with 400g. An hour later all this would be repeated, and so on.

At one point she came over, looking very upset, and demanded to know what we were putting into the lake?

I told her it was fish food and she never bothered us again.:lgbonk:

Ever think you might be being tested to see how professional you are in your reply from someone that either owns or has the authority to hire companies to clean several locations of the business he/she works for?

Happened to me when I was getting back into my truck with the trailer hooked up. Guy got out of a nice car and asked what that "stuff" was so I gave him my card and simply said I clean concrete.

Ends up he was the facilites manager for Taco Bell! NO I never got the account as I did not persue it knowing who had it and how well connected he is with someone high up. Looking back I should have though.

I have had some of the same questions mentioned and I always keep in mind that alot of the general public still are not aware that PW industry even exist. Some have never seen this type of equipment we use and are just curious.

Plus,... for my own self improvement and self government I always try to adhere to a verse from a certain "Good Book" that states ...... Always remember to be kind to strangers as some have entertained angels unaware.

Trying to stay politically correct on the above statement.

But the thing that gets me most is when people walk right through the cone setup or caution tape that I have setup for my work zone.

I would much rather have a stupid question.

Yes, Jon, I have thought of it. Infact I think of it everytime someone walks up to me or even just slows down to take a look. Still, there are times when caution is thrown at the wind for a little self amusement.

I've determined that placing cones and caution tape only keeps smart people away. We placed cones across a road entering a cul-de-sac where we were acid washing one day. The real estate agent simply parked behind the cones and proceeded to walk her clients up toward the house. Here we are in full PPE looking like we were responding to a hazmat spill and she wanted to walk her customers through. I waylayed her to turn them back....mentioned acid and there was no problem with them beating feet back behind the cones. What I really wanted to ask her was if she know what cones and caution tape meant!

I hear ya loud and clear Celeste. I have actually had people drive right over my cones like they werent even there. It's funny about the real estate agent , all they have is closing the deal on there mind. But I think when "acid " is mentioned that people automatically invision flesh falling off of their bones........ that'll learn 'em. lol

The stupid questions I can tolerate(even if I'mlaughing myself silly inside). For me it's a chance to pass on a little education to a potential customer.

The comment that really gets me is."Wow, I never realized so much work went into washing a house.I though you just sprayed some bleach and left."

Keep in mind I explain to customers in advance what we do when we wash their house.

It's kind of like asking a guy who just fell off a bike if it hurt.

Very true about cones and tape, more times then I can count dumb people would just walk around them and then complain that I got them WET.

It is then I open my mouth and say Sorry but had you walked behind the cones and not right into my work area when you can see I am working you would not be wet.

Then I hit the trigger and let them get soaked. Hey they asked of it and I cannot keep my cool when they are that STUPID.

Never had one complain to a manager either. Kids seem to obey those cones more then adults too.

Washaway I hear you loud and clear and it is not easy keeping a smile when people do stupid things like that.

I have had people walk under my tape around cones and into my acidic overspray, its kind of funny to see them rubbing there arms like what the heck did I just walk through. I got so pissed of on a job one day and luckily there was no overspray at the time for this lady to walk through. She was walking her baby in a stroller. I had the whole sidewalk taped off with cones and whole nine yards. I could have cared less if she had walked in to my chemical overspray, but the baby is a different story. I put my wand down and called my wife and told her if she ever sees caution or danger tape to walk around the area and not through it.