Sign in to follow this  
Jhignutt

Where do you draw the line

Question

Over the past week and weekend i have had 3 people approach me and ask about pressure washing. Everyone of them want to know my prices and how i charge and also want a lesson on how to wash. What do you say to these questions? I have one guy who hasnt got a clue and never washed a day of his life and has come up with the idea he wants to pursue this. His dad is supporting him by buying him a complete setup from another established company in the area. Everyone on here seems to be pleasant asking and answering questions but when there in your backyard what do you say?

20 answers to this question

I have a few local guys that I have helped, and in return they have helped me as well. I would say start out easy and see if they are really serious or just another hack that thinks this is easy money. See what their background is, and what their future vision has in store for them.

You may have smaller jobs to give away, or need help on bigger jobs and some of these guys may be just what you need.

I wouldn't waste time worrying if they are competition, or a threat because if they are, then it is already done. Always nice to have a local or two in this business with you.

I'll give newbies or pros in my area helpful hints but I wont show them how to take my biz. If there were other companies on this board TGS from the Myrtle Beach area, I wouldnt be talking & discussing everything I do on this board. I talk to much on here but none of my compitition is here that I know of, i like to share and help when I can on TGS

Nothing wrong with helping if you want, but if you dont theres nothing wrong with that, just tell them you dont gve out your biz info. Some of these guys could be a help to you in the future or stab you in the back

JL

I have a pretty good relashinship with a couple of locals. We pass jobs to one another every once in an while. We also discuss many aspects of this business, but I still watch my words when discussing some of the finer details about how I adver. and what not.

I've also had many non-washers, and part timers approach me and ask about my equipment, chemicals and other aspects of the business. Some are even so bold as to go up and inspect and handle my equipment without permission, such as looking under my surface cleaners to see how they operate.

I've never had a problem with helping anyone that has questions regarding what I would consider basic, common Knowledge questions about equipment, or how to properlly clean somthing. I guess I feel that it's far better to help them to do the job right, vs. potenially tarnishing the image of my trade.

I pick and choose who I help.

Ryan H and I compete in the same area, yet we share ideas and even thoughts about good/bad neighborhoods, marketing, etc. I would also send one of my customers to Ryan and not fear my reputation would be tarnished.

On the other hand, when I get a hint of a price shopper who tries to lie/manipulate and get me to waste my time without concern for the value of my time, I nail 'em. Sometimes I call 'em out, other times I feed them full of BS that is just fringe enough to be believable, and just out there enough to be damaging to their efforts. Like the fact that I won't even wash a 1500 sq.ft. for less than $200 and I'm booked out with 'em for 6 months.

One last note: If the local JERK that put in service magic requests last week just to do some price comparison happens to listening; Yes, I do still think you are a jerk. No, I will not tell you anything that may help you out. And yes, I am serious that you should send me a check for $11.00.

One last note: If the local JERK that put in service magic requests last week just to do some price comparison happens to listening; Yes, I do still think you are a jerk. No, I will not tell you anything that may help you out. And yes, I am serious that you should send me a check for $11.00.

Doesn't that stink? A couple years back we had a rather loud local compeditor do this to us. This person blew it off and refused to pay us the money they wasted on purpose for pulling the stunt. Happend twice, once on his account once on his wife's. Sometime it's really irritating when others continually poke their nose in your business.

I help people but at times the few who make waves do make it hard to want to continues. Don't let the few win.

Beth

I pick and choose who I help.

Ryan H and I compete in the same area, yet we share ideas and even thoughts about good/bad neighborhoods, marketing, etc. I would also send one of my customers to Ryan and not fear my reputation would be tarnished.

Come down to Newnan and hit up the country club, Redwine area and a huge neighborhood off hwy. 29. All are about 20 mins from Fayetteville and are in dire need of some maintenance. I can't stay in town enough to do more than a few referral jobs here and there. I know a few folks in these areas and may can find out about mass advertising (newsletters, etc.) if you'd like.

I pick and choose. Sometimes it depends on the mood I am in or how the person approaches me. If they are out of state I dont really care. There is only one company that I share a lot of info with and them with me, they are also the only company that I would trust to business for my current customers and the only company that I would refer work to.

Come down to Newnan and hit up the country club, Redwine area and a huge neighborhood off hwy. 29. All are about 20 mins from Fayetteville and are in dire need of some maintenance. I can't stay in town enough to do more than a few referral jobs here and there. I know a few folks in these areas and may can find out about mass advertising (newsletters, etc.) if you'd like.

Sweet. I'll call you tomorrow.

It depends on a few factors whether I help a start-up in my area...I've done it before and I may do it again but..then again I may not...As for these bb I have no problem in helping someone out of state...but that depends to on a few things..such as do I have the time.

I guess you have to feel these people out to see if there sincere or you can just ignore them and let them call someone else. Either way there is no obligation on your part to help or not..its your call.

One way to weed out the looky loos, is ask who they plan on going with for insurance. A large majority of the time, I will get a blank stare and something along the lines of "uh whattcha need that for?"

With answers like that you know who to look out for.

I have also had "referals" from Service Magic along this pattern. I had one in particular where the lead was very specific. When I called it was "yeah send us your information... we are always looking for sub-contractors". I called SM at let them know in no uncertain terms just what I thought of the idea of alllowing contractors to use the service as their want ads. If they need subs, let them put an ad in the paper. I don't need to pay for someone elses advertising/personell budget. They very quickly removed the charge from my invoice. That's the last time I've had any trouble.

Matt Schnurbusch

ABLE HANDS

Garner, NC

(919) 6096-5073

One of these days, I'm going to have to put together my signature!

That was one of the reasons I did not go with the SM. I see several of you do use this for leads and I wondered how much it is really helpful or just someone checking prices etc. That could get expensive.

That was one of the reasons I did not go with the SM. I see several of you do use this for leads and I wondered how much it is really helpful or just someone checking prices etc. That could get expensive.

Yes it did.

I don't mind helping someone in my area, if I think they're serious about doing things right and now undercutting prices. I've got a good relationship with a couple guys in the area. I've shown them things like the Xjet, different chemicals, how my trailer is laid out, etc, but I don't discuss pricing or target areas other than in generalities.

For those who call pretending to be a customer, they're usually easy to spot...they don't sound like a customer most of the time, and they're usually not very specific in what they want a price for. I just as for the address and tell them I'd be more than happy to look at the job and will leave a written estimate on the door if they're not home. When I'm sure it is a newbie looking for prices, I just tell them I don't give out prices over the phone, and good luck with the job.

For those who call pretending to be a customer, they're usually easy to spot...they don't sound like a customer most of the time, and they're usually not very specific in what they want a price for. I just as for the address and tell them I'd be more than happy to look at the job and will leave a written estimate on the door if they're not home. When I'm sure it is a newbie looking for prices, I just tell them I don't give out prices over the phone, and good luck with the job.

Don't you just love these calls. It's kinda funny how you can always tell it's a new guy trying to gather some information. I get one of these calls almost once a month.

First sign:

"yeah, I was just wondering what you charge to wash a house?"

(most real customers never ask like that, they almost always start out with)

"Yes, I was interested in getting a quote on having my house pressure washed"

Second sign:

I do have some younger customers, but if had to profile, I would definitely have to say that a 20 somthing male, that sounds like he's from the back woods of Middleburg, does not fit the profile of my usuall cliental.

By this time, I'm a little suspious, but not sure enough to call him out.

third sign:

This is when I quickly start asking a lot of questions about the house and location (it's funny how these guys never think to have a little info lined up just in case I might actually want some details)

Me:"Sure I'd love to give you a quote on a house wash. Mr.......? (they never have a fake name ready either) "So, is this your house that you're looking to have cleaned? Where is located? What kind of exterior? Just the house, or will you be interested in the driveway and roof as well? How many interior sqft ft?"

By this time it's a done deal. The've given themselves away with at least half a dozen slip ups. That's when I call them out, and of course they either just hang up or deny it.

It happens so often that somtimes I get fooled, where a caller shows all of the regular signs of being a fishing newbie, but turns out to be a real customer.

Don't you just love these calls. It's kinda funny how you can always tell it's a new guy trying to gather some information. I get one of these calls almost once a month.

First sign:

"yeah, I was just wondering what you charge to wash a house?"

(most real customers never ask like that, they almost always start out with)

"Yes, I was interested in getting a quote on having my house pressure washed"

Second sign:

I do have some younger customers, but if had to profile, I would definitely have to say that a 20 somthing male, that sounds like he's from the back woods of Middleburg, does not fit the profile of my usuall cliental.

By this time, I'm a little suspious, but not sure enough to call him out.

third sign:

This is when I quickly start asking a lot of questions about the house and location (it's funny how these guys never think to have a little info lined up just in case I might actually want some details)

Me:"Sure I'd love to give you a quote on a house wash. Mr.......? (they never have a fake name ready either) "So, is this your house that you're looking to have cleaned? Where is located? What kind of exterior? Just the house, or will you be interested in the driveway and roof as well? How many interior sqft ft?"

By this time it's a done deal. The've given themselves away with at least half a dozen slip ups. That's when I call them out, and of course they either just hang up or deny it.

It happens so often that somtimes I get fooled, where a caller shows all of the regular signs of being a fishing newbie, but turns out to be a real customer.

Too funny.At least the Green Cove hicks aren't bothering you.

I don't get quite that many, but I do get a few. I've had a couple customer calls who really did sound like 18 y/o kids who were fishing for pricing, but turned out to be just younger sounding guys my age.

Scott: A few comments come to mind, but I'll leave that one alone for now. ;)

I disagree. Most of my fishers are over-informed. They are trying to figure out how to price per square, per lin, etc and have something in mind already. A big tipoff for me is when you ask someone how many square feet their driveway is and they confidently respond "1700". A homeowner says "Ummm About 1700 I think. Does that sound average?" or something similar.

If I am suspicious, I fall back on coming to give a quote. Many won't even give a phone number. 95% of the time they do not want me at their house. And If I'm positive, I want them home to discuss it. That gets the rest.

I don't get quite that many, but I do get a few. I've had a couple customer calls who really did sound like 18 y/o kids who were fishing for pricing, but turned out to be just younger sounding guys my age.

Scott: A few comments come to mind, but I'll leave that one alone for now. ;)

Here in Mayberry, "Hicks" are all that call.

I disagree. Most of my fishers are over-informed. They are trying to figure out how to price per square, per lin, etc and have something in mind already. A big tipoff for me is when you ask someone how many square feet their driveway is and they confidently respond "1700". A homeowner says "Ummm About 1700 I think. Does that sound average?" or something similar.

If I am suspicious, I fall back on coming to give a quote. Many won't even give a phone number. 95% of the time they do not want me at their house. And If I'm positive, I want them home to discuss it. That gets the rest.

They may be informed, but not about the details that most homeowners would know about their own home.

I disagree further (at least in my experience). Most of the fishing newbies I get, seem to be at the very begining stages of thinking about a pressure washing business, and are very uninformed. In a lot of ways, less informed than my authentic potential customers.

Now established competitors is another story, I've had a few of these, and have actually been sent a wild goose chase to boot (long story with this one so I won't go into detail).