Sign in to follow this  
Beth n Rod

A thread for Ipe lovers

Question

Hey all, I thought it might be fun to start an Ipe Lovers thread.

We did a deck recently where the owner just had replaced his rail system with ipe and cable. Pretty neat looking. Rod snapped a shot of one X that had a really cool grain pattern. Thought I would post it. Anyone else have any ipe (or other hard wood) shots with cool patterns in the grain?

Beth

post-1-137772153037_thumb.jpg

28 answers to this question

I'm about to give up on posting on these boards - but here goes again. Ipe (ironwoods) on an iron staircase from 2 weeks ago. I hope it turns out. If not maybe this old guy can figure out how to attach a thumbnail. I have many hardwood pictures if needed. Like Shane - what winter. Spring is busting at the seams.

If the picture doesn't show, let me know and I'll email it to someone who knows how to do it.

Paul

Pao Clean

Paul, send it over and I'll post it for you if you are having difficulty. There are directions in the FAQ area if you feel up to browsing. Basically, if you click Go Advanced instead of using the quick reply, then scroll down to "manage attchments" click that, then browse to the file and click upload....should be all set.

Beth

post-1-137772153057_thumb.jpg

It is pronounced like the pig-latin for, "pea".

I hadn't even heard of it until last year, and Mr. Petry had to pronounce it for me.

Some call it ironwood or brazilian ironwood. Very hard.

Roger,

When Beth says "dense, and not very porous" that is an extreme understatement. Trying to get any stain into the wood is near impossible.

The wood is so hard and dense, weathering does not deteriorate it to a noticeable degree. Ipe will naturally fade to a silver patina, similar to teak.

Ipe sinks in water. Ipe has the same fire rating as concrete. Older growth ipe will quickly dull carbide saw blades and drill bits. The wood is near bulletproof. It has also become very expensive in the northeastern US.