Sign in to follow this  
Guest sprayclean2

9½ hours to do a house wash?

Question

Guest sprayclean2

Hello,

My second washed house was a single level, vinyl sided and 1500 square feet. When the job was done the siding was “white glove clean” top to bottom and the aluminum fascia and gutters sparkled white.

Commercial siding cleaner was applied with an x-jet at the ratio recommended from the chemical distributor. Commercial gutter cleaner was applied and scrubed with a brush. Concerned about getting water behind the siding which I thought had inexpensive backing board, I used about 900 psi to rinse. Using the commercial chemicals, I had expected all the dirt to become loose then use a light rinse. I was wrong, so I hand brushed the entire house and gutters.

It seems I'm missing doing something to make this operation go faster while achieving the same results. I’m wondering… How clean can a dirty house be washed without brushing? Are chemicals supposed to loosen all the dirt so the dirt can be rinsed off with low psi? Maybe I should have used more pressure to rinse instead of brushing? I sure would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions that may help speed up the process. (The +... homeowner was very happy and there was no damage) Thank you.

Equipment:

18 ft brush, 8 ft brush, x-jet, 13hp 4gpm washer, Commercial house wash & gutter chemicals, x-jet, 18 ft telescopic wand not used

84 answers to this question

0020 - 0050

Ditto here. No problem reaching 2/3 stories. May have to us a 48" lance not the 12" like I usually use. As far as clearing the hose I use that time to soak the gutters and facia a second time then when its clear I rinse the house. I rinse with the M5 so when I'm under a porch I open it up to fan and us what is in the hose to presoak the siding railings and posts. I was a diehard x-jet fan (still am to a certain extent) but since Bob at Pressuretek got me headed in the right direction with the proper tips down streaming is the way to go. Just had to get my mix right. I also find I use less mix now to accomplish the same results. Also since I usually work alone its easier to just pull out 200' of pressure hose than 200' and 30'+ foot of x-jet hose and the bucket that ya have to move around.

There is always more than one way to skin a cat and just do what works.

We use the x-Jet, M5. We also have lances of various lengths we can use for extra reach. It's rare for Rod or one of our guys to break out the extension pole (Extend-A-Wand type) anymore. We get plenty of height with the lance and M5. We can get 3 stories up. Machinery plays a part in this too. You will want to consider your equipment before you say to yourself that all you need is a lance and an M5.

Beth

Ditto here. No problem reaching 2/3 stories. May have to us a 48" lance not the 12" like I usually use. As far as clearing the hose I use that time to soak the gutters and facia a second time then when its clear I rinse the house. I rinse with the M5 so when I'm under a porch I open it up to fan and us what is in the hose to presoak the siding railings and posts. I was a diehard x-jet fan (still am to a certain extent) but since Bob at Pressuretek got me headed in the right direction with the proper tips down streaming is the way to go. Just had to get my mix right. I also find I use less mix now to accomplish the same results. Also since I usually work alone its easier to just pull out 200' of pressure hose than 200' and 30'+ foot of x-jet hose and the bucket that ya have to move around.

There is always more than one way to skin a cat and just do what works.

Hey you mind sharing a few of thos down streaming tips with a few of that have tryed but didn't like it and are very skeptical about trying it again??

Hey you mind sharing a few of thos down streaming tips with a few of that have tryed but didn't like it and are very skeptical about trying it again??

Not at all, folks here have helped me, what is it you want to know? I have a 3500 & 4000 psi hot/cold 4 gpm machine. Bob @ pressuretek sent me a 0020 and a 0030 tip they both seem to work about the same. My mix is 2.5G 12.5% 3/4G citrakleen from Steve Rowlett, some liquid tide for hang time, cascade for the windows . shoot on let dwell then rinse off. I usually have the heat on about 110 - 120deg as well. I also done that with the m5 as well.

Yes that is it. I also bought a good proportioner from Bob as well, the one that came/comes with your washer probably isn't that good, I know mine wasn't.

Yes that is it. I also bought a good proportioner from Bob as well, the one that came/comes with your washer probably isn't that good, I know mine wasn't.

proportioner or you bought a new downstreamer? what ratio, or is it adjustable?

old debate, but this thread is informative and very good :)

proportioner or you bought a new downstreamer? what ratio, or is it adjustable?

Mike

sorry I hate it when my fingers spell something different than my brain thought it ment. LOL

I bought a new downstreamer from Bob. Haven't checked it to see what the ratio is and no it isn't adjustable. I believe Bob from Pressuretek comes on here maybe he'll speak up and let us know what the ratio is. Or when I get time I'll check it out and report back.

Sorry for the confusion.

Mike

sorry I hate it when my fingers spell something different than my brain thought it ment. LOL

I bought a new downstreamer from Bob. Haven't checked it to see what the ratio is and no it isn't adjustable. I believe Bob from Pressuretek comes on here maybe he'll speak up and let us know what the ratio is. Or when I get time I'll check it out and report back.

Sorry for the confusion.

cool, let me know how its working out for you....

you navy guys are always trying to confuse us coast guard fellas :cool:

Guest sprayclean2

"thank you" to all who provided information and offered help. I used you information and changed the proportioning, bought a good house mix and added bleach. Did a house yesterday and never took the brush out of the trailer! The dirt rolled down the siding and I just rinsed off. The house was spotless and shined. The time taken to do the entire house was less than what it took to do one side of the previous house. thanks again.

"thank you" to all who provided information and offered help. I used you information and changed the proportioning, bought a good house mix and added bleach. Did a house yesterday and never took the brush out of the trailer! The dirt rolled down the siding and I just rinsed off. The house was spotless and shined. The time taken to do the entire house was less than what it took to do one side of the previous house. thanks again.

Isn't this board just awesome?!?! I love it when I figure out where I was going wrong and find out how easy it can be with the right tools and methods!!!

What house wash mix did you buy?

How does the downstream injector do with long hoses. I found that with 2-300 feet of hose it would not activate the normal injectors. I had heard about some of them working with that length of hose but have not tried one.

Thanks,

Anthony

How does the downstream injector do with long hoses. I found that with 2-300 feet of hose it would not activate the normal injectors. I had heard about some of them working with that length of hose but have not tried one.

Thanks,

Anthony

The injector I use is the SS "bleach" injector from envirospec, and it does a great job up to 200'. With more than that, I have to run the gun with no tip to get enough chlorine draw. With the 8gpm machine, that's not a problem in most cases, since it shoots about 15-20' in the air without a tip.

Mel with Vero Under Pressure runs his injector with 300' all the time with I think a 10gpm machine, and it works great for him.

Thanks,

Anthony

I've used up to 250' with my injector with no problems. I'm not sure if I could draw successfully with 300' because I've never tried. The key is to use an injector that's one size smaller than recommended for your machine, this tends to increase ratio of chem to water, as well as allow one to draw using more HP hose without back pressure problems.

All I can say is cancel the X-jets for housewashing, get a downstreamer that does 10:1 and a shooter tip from Bob, mix up a bucket of 15% bleach and a few squirts of Joy detergent and you won't have to waste any money buying house washes again, and you will never pick up the X-Jet again. I find the X-Jet isn't really good for anything, I never use mine. I used it one time on a housewash and it gets real old carrying the bucket around with you, it's crazy to do that when you can get the same results with a lot less hassle.

All I can say is cancel the X-jets for housewashing, get a downstreamer that does 10:1 and a shooter tip from Bob, mix up a bucket of 15% bleach and a few squirts of Joy detergent and you won't have to waste any money buying house washes again, and you will never pick up the X-Jet again. I find the X-Jet isn't really good for anything, I never use mine. I used it one time on a housewash and it gets real old carrying the bucket around with you, it's crazy to do that when you can get the same results with a lot less hassle.

There ARE some instances where the Xjet makes things easier. Downstreaming doesn't work well on a REALLY filthy white aluminum pool enclosure, for example. It does have it's place, but that place isn't typical housewashing, unless you just like dragging buckets and extra hoses and you're so sold on the idea that you're closed minded to alternatives. I know a couple guys who were that way, and slowly got sold on downstreaming!

On a good downstreamer you will get 10-1 to 15-1 depending on your setup and GPM.

Do you have a good, SS injector that will hold up well with chlorine, and give me 10:1 on either a 5.6gpm and/or an 8gpm machine?

On a good downstreamer you will get 10-1 to 15-1 depending on your setup and GPM.

Hey, you're the metal and fabrication guy around here! Design us a downstream injector that will get draw rates similar to the Xjet but that can be used at the hose reel! I'd pay considerably more than the Xjet costs for such a thing! Xjet draw rates with downstreamer convenience! Wow!

Hey, you're the metal and fabrication guy around here! Design us a downstream injector that will get draw rates similar to the Xjet but that can be used at the hose reel! I'd pay considerably more than the Xjet costs for such a thing! Xjet draw rates with downstreamer convenience! Wow!

I don't think it's possible, because if it was, someone would already be selling it.LOL!!

I've tried just about every method I could think of to increase draw rates with downstreamers, putting multiple injectors in line, running multiple injectors in parallel, and nothing seems to work. I'm still working on a few ideas, but I have to keep those under wraps until I get it figured out. Don't want to ruin any potential paten opportunities.

Plumb a Sharyl to the inlet side of the injector you can get 5-1. It kills the injector in about a month, but injectors are cheap.

I tried that as well, but I experimented with what I had on hand. I used a 1.8gpm shurflo and a rated 3-5gpm injector (maybe not the most ideal match).

It seemed to really give my shurflo a hard time (very vigorous cycling on and off), but it did increase the draw a bit. It just didn't seem practical enough for everyday use.

Plumb a Shurflo to the inlet side of the injector you can get 5-1. It kills the injector in about a month, but injectors are cheap.

Why does it kill the injector?

Then I have to clean a shurflo out every time, which is a pain. Just one more part to replace. I want a downstreamer with an Xjet draw rate. Why not? The Xjet is essentially a hopped up downstreamer...so why couldn't it be modified to work inline?

There ARE some instances where the Xjet makes things easier. Downstreaming doesn't work well on a REALLY filthy white aluminum pool enclosure, for example. It does have it's place, but that place isn't typical housewashing, unless you just like dragging buckets and extra hoses and you're so sold on the idea that you're closed minded to alternatives. I know a couple guys who were that way, and slowly got sold on downstreaming!

I guess I'm one of the closed minded, seeing I work alone, the x-jet is my helper, I can soap down one side of a house (around here Mc mansions) and with a flip of a switch 2 seconds later rinse the windows and bushes before the mix drys, on a hot day in the sun that is crucial. I can make my mix hot for real dirty , or lighten up on the bleach if I have light mildew. How do you downstream gutter zap ??

I have a seperate hose in my zap bucket and just connect to my x-jet, hit the gutter first then rinse the house quickly . I guess it all depends on your buisness and what you are comfortable with ..