Sign in to follow this  
Mountain View

Presenting estimates

How do you present the client with your bid?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. How do you present the client with your bid?

• Present it right there and then
    • Mail/Call with bid later
    • Return visit to present bid
    • Other

Question

How many of you present a prospective client with a bid for a deck or fence job right there on the spot? How many of you go away, work up your figures and then either mail/call the bid/make another visit to the client? I would like to be able to talk to the client, find out what they want, measure up and present them with a bid right there and then. I'm sure it will vary with the job. Just interested how the rest of you do it.

15 answers to this question

Unless it is high numbers where I want to double check, I do it on the spot.

"There is no better time to close than the present,"

-Ken Fenner, Professional Salesman

I look at the job, measure up, and figure out how long I think it will take me, hopefully all while the homeowner is standing right there so I can start building that all important relationship. I then go to the truck for a few minutes and punch some numbers on the calculator and write the estimate on the spot. It's been my experience that people hate to wait for things, they want an answer and they want it now. Normally my wife will call my cell when a call comes in, I will stop what I'm doing and call them back and setup an estimate for that evening or next morning. I then do the estimate on the spot, I can't tell you how many times people have verbally expressed their graditude for getting back with them and doing the estimate so quickly. I did a good sized house two weeks ago, the homeowner said he called another PW company besides me, but by the time they called him back he had already accepted and signed my proposal.

Those that are doing the estimate on the spot, do you have pre-printed forms?

Yes, for now I use the 3 page carbonless proposal forms from Staples or Office Max. I run them through my printer and print my logo at the top of them.

Unless it is a referral and a small simple PT or WRC job, I do not do estimates without one of the homeowners present. Strippers are tested (if needed), measurements are taken, and I spend time with the customer. Show pictures, talk about their work and interests, etc. Give them time and me time to know each other a bit. Never a hard sell.

At some point a ballpark figure is mentioned for their consideration. A detailed estimate including cover letter follows, usually by email, within the next few days. Otherwise, postal. I voted "other".

Laptop powerpoint presentation followed by an estimate drawn up in Quickbooks Pro printed onsite with a BJC85 Laptop printer. When I leave the estimate it's done and already in the computer that way! Plus if they put a deposit down immediately it's entered and an updated copy with their deposit can be printed up.

Greg

With gas prices and workload I have to do the presentation on site. It is much easier to take the measurements, then ask when you can meet with both decision makers if that is the case. I only do this on large jobs that I want for my picture portfolio or if I have 5+ estimates and it is in the middle of a workday.

A rolling office like Greg described is a great marketing tool. It makes you really look like you have your stuff together.

I agree with Fife

I also made my invoice (3 part) and quote (2 part) forms in excel and took them to the printer.

My 3 part is:

original - customer

yelllow - file

pink - on a office spear by the phone as a reminder that I didn't collect at the time of service. When they pay I trash the pink copy

We will give a proposal on the spot for all regular services, but do not give them with repairs or enhancements requiring materials such as new lumber and carpentry skills. Those are either snail mailed or emailed later for approval and a signature. On the spot proposals accepted by a client gets a 3 day right of cancellation notice too. (door-to-door sales act)

3 part c.c.:Original-Office file, yellow and pink to customer until one is signed and returned (color doesn't matter, that way they can keep the most legible they choose).

Rod!~

I just write them out on a roll of 2-ply toilet paper I keep in the truck.I slip a piece of carbon between the plies so they get a copy and I get a copy.Bigger bids will use up an entire roll on occasion.

When first starting I tried to give everyone special attention.

I would recommend if you’re new starting out try to personally see everyone. You never know what a 20.00 job can turn into.

Those you can’t get to and take care of don’t let them hand, refer them to someone else. At least tell them you’re not interested.

I now qualify the customer to meet my needs and practice. There portfolio is a big asset when determining my time and effort.

I have the standard cookie cutter corporate agreements with many companies and frankly if they are a larger customer they will come first.

Don’t get me wrong in this post I’m committed to performing for all potential clients but let’s face it if you don’t have time then your going for the gravy.

I would say I have three classes

ABC A being the folks we jump thru hoops. B being important but may wait 48 hours for proposal. C we just send them one and follow up with a phone call or mailer or too.

D these people we tell them we are not interested and refer them down the line.

I wish it’s was possible to see all customers, Often I rarely meet first time customers. I know that some find this hard to believe but in this busy world it’s not always me that is the one. The customers don’t have time and just want it clean.

We mail and fax at least 50 to 75 proposals a week. On top of that we have over 25 thousand measured in our data base and send them regularly. Mostly in oct and nov the proposals increase to as many as we can send depending on our needs to fill spots on routes. This time of the year just depends on our time in office and business needs.

Can we call everyone? We try. Can we visit everyone? The ones we want to.

I’m not a believer in just running a numbers game. Although for someone starting out it’s a numbers game. We now have the luxury of pin pointing exactly what we want.

I have my sales people target the customers we qualify. We have certain criteria for going after a company. My reasons may not be the same as yours nor my needs.

Try to keep a balance, play numbers and date the ones you need to or feel are more important.

Anyone here says they treat everyone the same? More power to yah, I stopped wasting my time years ago. It’s not easy to determine who you want or not. Some are obvious and some are not.

Balance time and make your sales work for you.

PowerPoint is powerful, if you have the ability to put one together and actually get in front of the customers they are great.

I use videos as most of you know and highly recommend if you have the money and time they work.