Sign in to follow this  
Jarrod

Call-backs from 1 year ago

Question

Today, I recieved a call from a cust. from last June. We stripped, brightened & stained her deck with TWP (2 coats on all horiz.) She claims that there is "premature" ware in some areas on the steps and other parts of the deck. This deck gets all day sun and they do have a 10lb. dog. I'll tell you all what I told her, but first, I wanna hear what you would say/do in this situation.

Thanx!

51 answers to this question

When I sell a deck job I tell the customer they should get 2 years. If the deck shows wear after 1 year I would offer to redo the floor at a prorated price of 50%. Since we use Ready Seal it is just a quick clean then reapply to just the floor.

have you checked the "wear" yet?? ...On something small like this, assuming you feel responsible for this problem (i.e., you say it won't fade within a year), I just say, "I'll take care of it", go give it a light rinse and dust on a coat. Personally, I generally don't like talking to customers, so this would be easier than trying to determine "why" there is a problem, "what" caused it, "who" is at fault, etc. ...And if they call back in a year for re-do, bump up the charge a little for the work you provided, and bump up a little for the fact that she seems picky, and will likely have more problems.

So far, I'm with Ken. The stairs always wear b4 the rest of the deck. As far as a "redo" or "fix" - she will be charged or I won't even do it. I remember her being nit picky and demanding and most of all IGNORANT last year. Today she told me that she got 4 years out of the last stain job. Last time was TWP too. - Screw the boots - I'm building an arc!! LOL

Yeah....sorry I didn't get back, my service went out for a few days, that occasionally happens when you don't pay the bill, LOL. Who is carrying the stripping product??

Since you've described the customer THAT way, I'd probably do the same as you on a bad day, on a good day I MIGHT still try and fix it, just to make myself feel better.

I did two deck last year for a guy (my first two decks). One is in full sun and the other has a huge tree growing in the middle of it. They were both pretty water damaged and really thirsty when it came to sealing them. This spring we both agreed they needed a light wash and a maintenance coat. I did them both for free, because I told him he should get two years out of them, not one. He is a valued customer, and gives me a lot of work so I feel like I did what I had to do. I am still new in the biz and I want to establish an honest and caring idenity.

Well I must of been typing while you posted last Jarrod so I'm going to edit my post, it sounds like my customer and the customer you described are completely different. In your situation I would charge her, she's sounds like an opportunist.

Jon, I have not looked yet. She lives 30 min. from my office and it has rained all day.

All - Let's face it, some people HAVE TO GET THEIR DECKS DONE EVERY YEAR. I tell everyone that I have bi-annual and annual customers. I also inform them that the stain's longevity will vary depending on various conditions - sun exposure, pool, hot tub, useage, dogs, # of kids, blah, blah, blah.

This is not a workmanship issue. It is a wear or product issue. Dog pee will eat stain off a deck almost as fast a chlorine. Mabe it's the dog?

Excellent!! Another reason to add to my list of why I don't like working on wood. Thanks Jarrod!!

Im with you !

I wouldnt do anything for free, stain & wood wear and one year on some with traffic.

That's one costumer you need to drop.Why don't she call the last guy that did it?

Because he's still floating in her sea of bullsh** on HIS arc, and he can't be reached.

I think you should go out there and do the whole deck again for free and a free house wash, for all the aggravation you caused this poor women, maybe a free massage & pedicure, then drown the B----. I guess you cant drown her then you wont get a referal

Hey Jarrod what are you going to say to her?

have a good one

JL

If there was no negligence on Jarrod's part (improper prep, crappy product etc) I don't see how he should rectify this. Keeping a customer happy is crucial but if this person is a nitpicker, she will call back every year. I would try to sell her on yearly upkeep if she is that discerning. The problem with this deck is that it cannot be touched up. I would guess all of the horizontals would need to be redone. The key is making a customer understand what they are getting. In this case, this lady has preconcieved notions and Jarod won't win that battle. J, do you have any pictures?Jeff and Lance, while the work is gratifying, I would drop wood care tommorrow if I could. It's sometimes a thankless niche and it is not the highest profiting one you could pick.

Jeff and Lance, while the work is gratifying, I would drop wood care tommorrow if I could. It's sometimes a thankless niche and it is not the highest profiting one you could pick.

The big decks if you could get them all the time I'm sure are worth it. Its just a very hard sell around here. I used to get about 1 out of 10 I bid, it was just to time consuming just bidding the wood. When I 1st started out I liked the wood and I'm sure I would of even got better at doing it, but I just got disgusted bidding them and wasting the gas and my time. Plus its so hard to schedule with rain & all the other hassles. I admire you guys that do such nice wood work, it just drives me nuts now. Keep the pics coming all you wood guys I love to see your work!!

As for Jarrods dilemma. Im all for keeping a customer happy, Ive gone back and touched up things on jobs, but sometimes you just cant make someone happy and you have to say see ya

Believe it or not, the large decks are the worst. They are hard to bid properly. Everything that can wrong on a little deck times big square footage. My perfect job is a 400 s/f deck with rails, first story. We can do those in one day start to finish and make good money.

Problem is, you never know how many people this one person can influence not to buy your services. Having a warranty with the specifics on what is covered is the best way to maintain a working relationship. We inform our clients of any problems that may contribute to their decks demise and tell them to call us when they need help to keep it in good condition and we will work with them to keep up the sealers protection...after all...isn't that what we are in this business for anyway? I can understand your position Jarrod as we have been in this predicament before when using consumer based products and it is because of these that we make the policies for our customers to understand beforehand so that there is no mistake in the future. If you haven't laid the ground work for what you cover and the term of it, then you may as well go back and take care of the issue with the understanding made clear before hand that any additional work will be at regular rates or whatever you deem necessary.

We have had certain customers that needed to be "held by the hand" as Beth kindly puts it, or "baby sat" in order to get them through the situation. It takes a great deal of time yes, but we are fortunate that while Beth is doing this, I can get the work done while she talks them through the whole thing pointing out specifics pertaining to the circumstance we are there to deal with. Yeah, it's a team effort but it works and the client is happy afterwards and we still get referrals and repeat business.

It's the one's that try to take advantage of us and are clearly trying to get something for nothing that always bug us. Maybe thats what you have going on in your client, we don't know. Beth told me you sound like a very nice person and we think you will handle it to the best of your abilities.

Rod!~

Jeff and Lance, while the work is gratifying, I would drop wood care tommorrow if I could. It's sometimes a thankless niche and it is not the highest profiting one you could pick.

I have a feeling that wood care up North, and out West, is like roof cleaning down here. When I started my business I had a lot of issues with cleaning roofs and really didn't even want to clean them, but I soon found out that to be a successful exterior cleaning contractor in FL you almost have to add roofs to list of services. I tried not offering roof cleaning a couple of years ago, but it seemed like 50% of the customers who called either wanted just their roof cleaned, or wanted their roof, house, drive, etc., and obviously, if I wasn't willing to clean the roof, they're not about to hire me just to clean the exterior and drive.

I guess wood care is simply in too high of demand around your neck of the woods to not offer it as part of your services. If I lived in another part of the country, I'd probably have to do it, or find a new line of work.

Rod said it best. The customer is always right unless you are absolutely sure, and without question know that your are. Exterior wood is an art, not a science. If you did the best that you can, and it does not work, fix it. No excuses, no but's, no blaming a customer or stain manufacturer for a product. You know when something is not right. Learn a lesson and get on with it.

We have all made misjudgements and "do overs" in this business. If you are smart, pay attention, and learn from prior mistakes, you get better at your trade.

Do everything to satisfy a customer, but more importantly, do everything to satisfy your own criteria of craftsmanship. It will pay dividends to both you and your business in the future.

Rick - We stripped, brightened & stained the deck. We applied 2 coats (wet on wet) to all horiz by hand. We did nothing wrong. This is a excessive wear, constant sun, or something else problem. Let's face it, some people just have to get their decks done every year. I did 2 of her neighbors the same day last year - they havn't called. (Great, I just jinxed myself! Crap!! LOL) I will post pics soon. You guys be the judge.

Jarrod,

My diatribe was not at you or directed at anyone in particular. You are probably in the right, and the customer possibly being a PITA. No matter.

What matters is being honest with yourself, and being a better and more valuable contractor than the next guy. If you (not you personally, all of us woodies) don't have some inate love, and pride, in our workmanship and trade, try concrete or parking lots or truck washes or something completely different.

This afternoon, when I got back in from staining, had a call confirming my first 3rd time on a customer's deck. No big deal. Well, it is a very big deal to me. It means my small, often times 1 man show, has come of age. Six years and Iwill do everything up to beyond reasonable to keep this and other customers. I think the world of my customers, think I do the best work in the business, and will continue to try my best to do the best that I can offer at a price both of us can afford.