Sign in to follow this  
okeefecw

Seasonal Employees

Question

If our work is seasonal, how do we maintain long term employees. Over the last couple of years I've lost employees during the winter because they need to find another job. Every spring I have to hire and train a new set of guys. Does anyone else have this problem?

11 answers to this question

Does anyone else have this problem?

Yes. I have had good results hiring college students. Getting the good ones back for following seasons is tough. They are usually pretty smart, learn quickly, and have some work ethic. As I do not as yet speak Spanish, communication is not a problem.

When we hired college students, they usually get short-timers disease in august and I fall behind because they know they are going back to school and don't care much to show up all the time.

I have looked to the Hispanic market but much of them are tied up in landscaping all season.

We have been doing more in the repair side and am hoping to keep a couple over the winter who posses the aptitude for carpentry. We'll see.

Rod!~

When we hired college students, they usually get short-timers disease in august

Brings back memories. One of the best workers I ever had, in any business, was a young man who just graduated college. Diligent, polite, quiet, steady worker who liked to work on exterior wood.

One small problem. He was a "Phish" fanatic. For those that are not aware, Phish is the younger generations Grateful Dead. Two years ago was their last tour. He must have gone to 4 or 5 Phish ins throughout the summer. At least 4 days and sometimes 5 day trips.

The guy was just so good, I really couldn't get mad for more than a day or two! I'd hire him back in a heartbeat.

This is the main reason I added interior renovations and painting to my repetoire. I also tell anyone I am planning to hire full time that they may very well have off for the month of December. This is the primary reason I am having a hard time growing to where I should.

Retaining good employees who actually give a damn has always been my biggest problem... in fact if it were not for Tim (one of my guys working for me now) I probably would not be back in this business. Tim worked for me for 2 years from 02 to 04 and he was the most dedicated guy I've met. When he told me he was going to work for the railroad (money and benefits) I was pretty bummed. Fortunately this past winter he called me up wanting to do more deck work and here we are back at it full time now.

This guy works his butt off... plus he brought him in a guy (chuck) to work with him thats just as motivated. They were out cleaning decks last night until a little after 8pm only to get up this morning and be on a staining job at 7:15 am 30 minutes away. I'm pretty happy :)

The downside (if there is one) is in order to make this work he had to make more money... so now all of my work is paid out to them as piece work. Thus far its actually worked out pretty good though and it will allow them to bank some money away for the winter months.

I guess the moral of the story is the good guys know they're good and just like you and I they are out to make life better for themselves. I can get chumps all day for $10 a hour but man the headaches associated with them are never ending. My answer to it has suddenly become to pay them what their worth and with Tim he's now averaging around $20 to $25 an hour (based on the time on the job - not driving).

Take Care,

Greg

I guess the moral of the story is the good guys know they're good and just like you and I they are out to make life better for themselves. I can get chumps all day for $10 a hour but man the headaches associated with them are never ending. My answer to it has suddenly become to pay them what their worth and with Tim he's now averaging around $20 to $25 an hour (based on the time on the job - not driving).

Greg

My opinion exactly!

People work to make a living, they don't live to work.

We often say that things cost what they cost, that is true for help as well.

Another way to put it: Money talks...

I know plenty of guys who have embraced the 'south of the border' labor market. There are many who go back for the winter months and return in the spring to the same co year after year.

If you have the work you can outpay the landscape co's and we usually only need one or two guys, they need entire crews. Just remember that good english speakers are at a premium and expect to pay accordingly.

Most folks exposure to this is a local day labor 'pick up spot', or whatever you want to call it. These guys are generally not the cream of the crop, the best workers are working full time and don't have to look for work this way. Go to where they are; construction sites, etc and ask if they know anyone looking for steady work. In many cases you will end up with someone who can provide you with 'documentation' which is a bonus. The work ethic is usually there, but you have to pay for it.

My fear of hiring employees is how can you find an intelegent, hard worker and not simply loose them because they learn the trade and start their own gig. It would seem to me that the best case senerio is to find an honest, hard working individual that's smart, but not to smart. Anyone know anybody like that? I guess there are people out their who have plenty of smarts, and common sense, but have no desire to own their own business, just work and collect a pay check.

I don't worry about it too much, Lance. You know as well as I do that business ownership takes a certain type of individual. It's like watching a PGA player swing from the tee. They make it look easy. Then you get out there and hack, cut and slice your way to a 50 yard drive and it suddenly isn't as much fun as it looked like. I don't want a Yale business major, just a dedicated, non drug using, shows up on time, I-take-pride-in-my-work type of person. A driver's license is nice too.

My fear of hiring employees is how can you find an intelegent, hard worker and not simply loose them because they learn the trade and start their own gig. It would seem to me that the best case senerio is to find an honest, hard working individual that's smart, but not to smart. Anyone know anybody like that? I guess there are people out their who have plenty of smarts, and common sense, but have no desire to own their own business, just work and collect a pay check.

You could make them sign a non-compete agreement. It won't stand up to the courts in many states however most of your employees won't know that. I was a little concerned about that when my guys just showed up out of the blue wanting to work. Fortunately while they are outstanding workers I dont think they could sell ice to a man in hell :)

Greg

Haha....

Found out today that one of my guys called somebody at Ready Seal :) (uh... I was wanting some stain for my sisters deck... uh...)

Out comes the non-compete agreements! :)

Greg