Sign in to follow this  
DustinC

reeling it in

Is there any way to use less than all 200 feet of my high pressure hose and avoid getting that loose hose at the reel thats a pita to reel back in.I've been thinking of trying to bungee it somehow.I guess I could disconnect the amount I need and bypass the reel. any other suggestions? thanks

Seems like folks that have Haney reels have better luck. I for one will not purchase cox again. I have used the bungee cord method and it does help. I have the model with the adjustable tension "lock" it doesn't do much to "lock" the reel....just my experience.

I was thinking that I was misunderstanding the post. Locking the reel seems a no-brainer. I use Rapid Reels and have not had a problem.

These tension tightening reels don't have an absolute lock down position?

The better (more expensive cox reels hae a locking mechanism similar to the Hannay reels. I use the cox reels and have little problem with them. For what it is worth, the rel manufacturers recommend that you always pull all of the hose off the reel. I don't but I am willing to risk crushing the center of my hose reel. I have seen it happen on a really cheap reel. You would probably be amazed at how much the hose expands when it is under pressure.

Not only does it expand, but the coil of hose acts like your heater burner and will super heat the hose within the coil and result in early failure

The less expensive---cuz they weren't cheap cox reels with the tension lock do not have a definite lock. I crushed one reel within a week of purchase by leaving the hose on while washing.

The two reels cost me 600 bucks with shipping this is why I went less expensive and why I bought two....when I do it over I will buy rapid or Haney.

Cox did replace the crushed reel but UPS damaged the reel upon re-shipping

The less expensive---cuz they weren't cheap cox reels with the tension lock do not have a definite lock. I crushed one reel within a week of purchase by leaving the hose on while washing.

The two reels cost me 600 bucks with shipping this is why I went less expensive and why I bought two....when I do it over I will buy rapid or Haney.

Cox did replace the crushed reel but UPS damaged the reel upon re-shipping

The better Cox reels (I think it is the Challenger series) have a solid inner core, as opposed to the open core that the cheaper cox reels have. I have two cheaper cox reels that were both crushed...then again, they still work. I have three of the higher end cox reels and they are tough reels...on par with anything Hannay or Rapid Reel has. I have a ReelCraft also (another SOLID reel) and the Cox is very similar to that reel.

I have 4 of the Rapid Reel hose reels on my trailer and sometimes I do not unroll all of the 100' of pressure hose and have not had any problems yet. I was told that it is better for the hose if you always unroll all of it. The Rapid Reel hose reels that I have do have the "brake" mechanism along with a pin lock so the reel does not move. These are not very expensive.

These are the cox that I use and have never had a problem with them. Running for hours on end with hot water in them. This one holds a ton of hose and never have problems with it if I only need a little at a time.

These are the cox that I use and have never had a problem with them. Running for hours on end with hot water in them. This one holds a ton of hose and never have problems with it if I only need a little at a time.

Yep, those are the challengers. I have one of those outside ready to install on the trailer. Huge reel, bigger than I thought!

Those hose reels are nice. Can you stack 3 high? There is only so much room on my trailer.

I imagine you could stack them as high as you wanted, as long as the stacking structure was built properly. They don't come stacked, I assume Dave either built that frame, or had it built.

We have a stacking bracket available, in fact we have a 3-stack in our conference room. As far as crushing goes here is my opinion;

Here is my opinion on drum crushing, anyone using industrial pressure washers needs to use our 1125 series, full barrel with locking pin and follow the procedure below. Our lighter duty 112's need to be unwound entirely for any use and do not have a locking pin.

All new hose MUST be spooled off before initial pressuring. When first charged hose grows in length. The better the pressure hose the more it will grow when first used. After the initial charging it is still recommended to remove all hose. This is based only slightly on pressure expansion as there is little growth after the initial charge. However there are two common reasons for drum bending- too tight of a wrap or too messy of a wrap. If the hose is too tight their is no where for even the limited expansion under pressure to go. If the wrap is crisscrossed or tangled it can create too much pressure in one small section of the reel and could potentially 'crush ' the drum. So if you are a careful wrapper, our distributor was correct in telling you that our reel will work fine with hose still on it. We use the same frames and drums (spools) throughout the pressure range, the difference between low, medium, and high pressure is only in the plumbing. We recently announced a brawny upgrade option rendering the reel virtually crushproof no matter what, even when mis-used. Hope this helps!

Steven

Here's another tip: lay your hose out in a serpentine pattern. The reason for this is to avoid tangles and greater ease of pulling if you need more and allows you to fully unbail your reel. My crew is trained to do this regularly and they actually don't mind it. It's those job sites that have so much landscaping to deal with that they and everyone else gets tired of...quickly.

I have thought of poles that you can put into the ground with pvc sheaths that freely rotate to strategically place at points where I have to turn a corner and not kill or mame the daisies in the process but the set up time is more problematic because of the shale soil around here...you just never know when you are going to find a rock below in the soil.

Rod!~

Here's another tip: lay your hose out in a serpentine pattern. The reason for this is to avoid tangles and greater ease of pulling if you need more and allows you to fully unbail your reel. My crew is trained to do this regularly and they actually don't mind it. It's those job sites that have so much landscaping to deal with that they and everyone else gets tired of...quickly.

I have thought of poles that you can put into the ground with pvc sheaths that freely rotate to strategically place at points where I have to turn a corner and not kill or mame the daisies in the process but the set up time is more problematic because of the shale soil around here...you just never know when you are going to find a rock below in the soil.

Rod!~

Rod i had this same thought when i was doing a friends house .HomeDepot has these cheap house guides that were only a couple of bucks i think. once i get my equip together I think that this is gonna be somethin that i'm going to try out.My problem that i had was the fact that i was using a portable unit and was trying to not let the supply hose mess the flowers that he had planted in the flowerbed