Sign in to follow this  
Camelot

Here goes everything...

Question

I'm officially going full time! I got the kick in the butt I needed (I was "let go" from my day job this afternoon). I'm scared to DEATH, but excited at the same time. Any words of advice? I'm part time and sort of slow right now for some reason. The good news is that my wife and kids are VERY supportive!...wish me luck!

:lgbugeyes

20 answers to this question

Congrats on the promotion, I sometimes wished I would get let go.putting in my 2 weeks was hard to do.My biz is far from where I want it to be but my advice is that your favorite forum should be marketing, paying close attention to Ken,Jeff's and other vet's posts. Its all up to you now.you can do it!good luck

Good luck, remember your not just selling them pressure washing your selling yourself and your customer service. Go in it with a positive attitude and I am sure you will do great. If you ever need help just give a call.

Chin up and have confidence in yourself. All of us were there once and if were still posting were still here. Dont sweat the petty stuff and dont pet the sweaty stuff!!!

Full time is great and scary at the same time. You'll have slow times where ya wanna quit and fire your self and times you'll be rocking and rolling (save during those times) Market, Market and ALWAYS do a great job and you will survive, keep your prices up and quality even higher!!!!

Alright enough rambling GOOD LUCK!!

Paul, congrats on taking the leap. I did it myself a couple of weeks ago.

Yes, it is slow right now do to the time of year. Hang in there and when the kids go back to school things will roll right along.

It is a very scary thing when the phone is not ringing. But I have been spending time mailing letters to property managers, banks, dentist office, etc. What ever I can do. I look at it like this, yes I might keep striking out, but one day I will hit the grand slam!

Hang in there and call if you would like to chat.

Thank you all for the kind words! It truly helps...I'm actually looking very forward to diving in head first and spending all my time doing what I enjoy. I appreciate the well wishes!

When life gives you potatoes, make vodka.

I am very new myself. But I have learned that the sky is the limit and the only thing stopping success is not marketing it.

I know that if I had the time to get out there everyday I could quit my job and make a good living. But I love my job, so that won't happen. If you play your cards right you will do just fine.

Good Luck.

ps. the days you get stressed out, don't take it out on the ones supporting you. I did that once, just once.

John, Don't set at home and feel sorry for yourself. I'm not saying that is what you are doing now, but it can happen. Go out and make cold calls to commercial accounts. You will accomplish several things. You will learn how to sell yourself, what approach fits you, what rejections you will get and how to over come them, and how 1 YES out of 10 no's will make you feel like you are the MAN. If you can pull your rig, do it. Give free demo's and watch their mouth drop open. The most important thing is that you have your family behind you. Good Luck and kick A$$. I'm also getting a FT operation up and going. It's fun and scary.

Hank

John, "Best of luck," is my wish for you, and this advice:

Think of yourself as unemployed each morning, and know that you have to get hired today.

It was my mantra in the very beginning, and has served me well. After saying that, also remember to give yourself a break every now and then. You and your support network will thank you for remembering that! You need to act as support for them, too.

Let us here know how we can help, that's what TGS is all about.

Congratulations and get cleaning!

I'm officially going full time! I got the kick in the butt I needed (I was "let go" from my day job this afternoon). I'm scared to DEATH, but excited at the same time. Any words of advice? I'm part time and sort of slow right now for some reason. The good news is that my wife and kids are VERY supportive!...wish me luck!

:lgbugeyes

Give it hell John. Keep thinking of ways to get work and call write fax and knock on doors. Get advertising out there and out there often. If you dont have a lot of money or very little make up fliers on your computer and have copies made at Office Depot. Just dont get lazy or pissed off. Remember one job can be more than you made in a week or a month at your past fulltime job. The jobs & money's out there go get it

JL

Thanks again everyone! It was a little tough not setting my alarm this morning and getting dressed for work, but I'm off to the races to try and get some new business for my own company! I truly appreciate the advice and nice words. As I am sure it has been said many times: this site and the people on it are an inspiration for all. Thanks again.

- John

John,

What you have been given is a wonderful, golden opportunity to spread your wings. Sure it's scary, but haven't other things in your life given you butterflies and apprehension? Look at it this way,you are going to embark on a wonderful adventure that will allow you the freedom to grow in ways you have not dreamed of yet. If we can help, call us. We're really big on helping dreams to come true. With some elbow grease, they can.

Beth

Good morning to ya, John. You got support vibes a comin' from up here in the mountains! Believe in your abilities, find you a morning mantra or affirmation and get after it. You'll do great. Let me know if I can do anything for you, really.

Cheers!

/neil

Your full time job is pw. If your not pw then your full time job should be marketing. How many more people know about your services than yesterday?

Get focused and open your wallet.

Make a plan and stick with it.

You’re going to need to spend money on advertisements.

Get some note pads and maybe pens, print some hats for new construction people.

Start measuring shopping centers and just sending in proposals not requested.

If you want to call me I have a method that works. It’s a saving of money if you have the time.

This is the cheapest form of marketing and has saved me many dollars.

I disagree with some here, explode and jump right in. You need to eat so do what you have too. However remember what the main goals are and then achieve them. You’ll be turning jobs you don’t want away in one year.

Best to ya John!

I look forward to the day I can give up my full time job and go full time into this business. I hate my full time job with a passion! But, my day is a long way off. I'm just getting started in this business, and it will take a while to get it up to the point I don't need my full time job. Just work harder for yourself than you would your old job, and things will come around.

I whish you the best in your venture. I am right on your heels, I am about to loose my full time job of 10 years and have decided to head out on my own.

I have studied this business for some time and have the support of my wife to give it a try. Having a business background has made me really look at the pros and cons in a deep manner and thus far it is a go.

I am in central Virginia, maybe not too far from you. Shoot me an email (EHVEST@MSN.COM) and maybe we can trade phone numbers and chat a while.

Take care and good luck.