Sign in to follow this  
Larry B

Have you seen this truck? Lessons leearned form a theft

Truck and traler drove off of a job site last weekend. Went in the warehouse to pull down trailer doors and came back out to a missing truck and trailer. They had no keys( in my pocket), equipment was not insured but truck was. I will recover and keep going but I did learn some lessons I thought I might share.

1. Do not keep all of your tools on your trailer when not using them. like x-jets, extra wands etc.. if you do try to have a spare in the shop.
  2. Have a backup system no matter how small. If you have keys for customers gates, trucks etc.. make copies. You could just lose them instead of having them stolen. Much easier than than trying to get replacements from you accounts.
  3. Keep you cell phone on you. At least I put it in my pocket for a change.

If you can't work without an x-jet, extend-a-wand, long wands or whatever, KEEP A SPARE. I do not have a store anywhere nearby that I could replace some of those things. I had to put off an apartment complex scheduled for the next day because I did not have some of these things. Even if you rent a machine until you replace yours you need longer hoses and so on.

Thanks for sharing and I hope you find it all in one piece in some idiots yard. I would post that info on the stolen equipment site. You never know who might see it being sold or other.

That's terrible news!

Off the top of my head I suggest the following....

• post any pics you have on this and other BBS's
  • contact all of your local repair and supply shops and rental shops too. They may have it come in for repairs, or if the guy goes to get supplies, or a rental company may get offered to buy the equipment cheap from the thief.
  • put up fliers at these locations in case patrons see it
  • contact your local newspaper and explain the situation. maybe they will run a human interest story... "local power washing contractor has equipment stolen - have you seen this rig?"
  • engrave all remaining equipment with your company name and number it. Keep a list of the items ( numbers corresponding) with the value and always insure it.

I hope someone finds your rig and catches this crook.

Beth :cup:

Thanks for the support. I hadn't thought of flyers or anything like that. I keep hoping the trailer will be recovered along side of a backcountry road somewhere. I can't imagine that was their intended target, I think it was more of a bonus that was attached to the truck.

What comes around goes around Larry..... they will get theirs.

I have a spare 24 footer telescopic wand. I rarely use it ( I love my xjet).

a couple of 50 footer high pressure hoses. Let me know if you can use any of this ( not my xjet though). Give me a shout if you want.

So sorry to hear about your rig.

The only thing I have had stolen is the Gas. Sometimes I will take my rig to the firestation when I work nights and do the oil changes and stuff on my down time. Twice so far I have woken, driven to my first job and the 5 gallon gas can is empty and the can attached to the unit was siphoned out. i know it is $3 per gallon, but come on.

Sorry to hear that,Hope you find it Larry!!

If it was me I would want to find them in the truck, So we could have a little chat!!!

I feel for ya,

To bad it happened to such a nice guy. You have helped me out in the startup of my business and continue to do so. I definately don't have much but if you need anything I will be honored to help where I can. I sure hope they get caught and you get your stuff back. Its not just equipment that was stolen it was your living that you provide for your family.

Thats funny, my truck got stolen two days ago. f350 powerstroke crew

I feel just like you, i have not even figured all i have lost yet. every hour goes by i say shoot that was in my truck.

I had three trucks stolen so I have felt this way before and still didnt learn all my lessons.

I didnt have my keys in the truck, thank god.

I'm pissed about loosing 1000 bucks worth of movie passes. I just had collected that day, I would have removed them from the truck because getting broke into happens all the time.

Ford couldnt tell me how far they could go with the anti fuel shut off. If i replace that truck i will get a GPS unit. I have them on work trucks and now i feel stupid my most valuable truck didnt have one.

My insurance guy questioned this like i was a thief. I guess it looks suspicous.

Thats why I am over insured all of my equipment, It is insured for what it would cost me to get brand new equipment. And the trucks have Gap Insurance.