Sign in to follow this  
One Tough Pressure

torsion or leaf spring

Leaf springs will work best, plus you can easily add an additional leaf and boost the capacity. I think by 20%?, can't quite remember, a spring guy told me once when I was trying to turn my 16,000 lb truck into a 20,000 lb truck. Don't over load your truck though you'll be snapping axles, burning transmissions, and have problems stopping. Yes I did all three and more, but I learned my lesson.

I have torsion on my travel trailer and I do not like it. When the springs get older, you cannot add a leaf. If you need to lift it 1", no go. Air bags for more support? No. Load handlers/Helper springs: No. Flip the axles: No.

I have built trailers of both types the springs are the best as far as I am concerned. My reasons are that they sit higher so they do not drag going out of driveway . That alone makes them better and when upgraded to 10600# they can haul alot better . The trailers that I just found have 3/4 inch walls and floors and an extended tounge that is standard . You also might want to have them run eleric in the walls and mount a generator on the tounge.

The following is my opinion, based on experience in the trucking industry. I've never checked the strictest factuality of the assumptions I've made, so bear with me as I explain what I think is true. I have no ego in this discussion, I may well be wrong.

I believe heavy-duty torsion axles are the best solution to hauling serious weight, especially if they are also equipped with airbags.

Take a look under any commercial semi-trailer, and you will find torsion/airbag suspensions. The biggest advantage for them is carrying capacity and overhead clearance, as well as ride quality and control.

The more springs you add to a leaf stack, the taller it gets, increasing sway, while also raising the center of gravity. That is a recipe for a roll-over, and an uncomfortable, high-vibration, nearly out of control ride, except on level, smooth roads.

For the work we do, the expense of axles equipped with torsion bars and airbags is probably a non-starter, not to mention the compressor required, and the air plumbing to keep up.

A torsion bar is just a spring that has been stretched while loaded. In other words, if you think of a spring as a coiled metal bar, that is loaded with energy as it compresses; then you can visualize that compression is actually twisting the bar. Straighten the bar, and, presto! A torsion bar.

The advantage of a torsion bar is that it can function as a positioning rod, and can be mounted more flush than coiled or stacked springs of the same rate. The resultant compact, low sway, easily wrench-adjustable suspension is found under the front-ends of thousands of hot-rods and pickups.

If you are still reading this, I guess that means that for our trailers, the leaf-spring is still probably supreme, because we aren't as worried about losing overhead clearance, or ride quality, as we are worried about expense and easy maintenance/modification.

When I started my search, I was told to spend the extra money and get the torsion. The quality was better, less sway, less bounce, etc. The equipment would not get as beat up, the chem/water tanks would not be bounced as much (as in less chance for tanks splitting jugs splitting from the stress etc...) thereby helping save in the long run.

I have yet to get a trailer (hopefully in the spring) so I have no clue what I am talking about. Again just what I was told.

When I started my search, I was told to spend the extra money and get the torsion. The quality was better, less sway, less bounce, etc. The equipment would not get as beat up, the chem/water tanks would not be bounced as much (as in less chance for tanks splitting jugs splitting from the stress etc...) thereby helping save in the long run.

I have yet to get a trailer (hopefully in the spring) so I have no clue what I am talking about. Again just what I was told.

Sounds like the Hydro Tek sales pitch, as I know they use these axles. I am not sure of the price difference between leaf and torsion, but it can not be that much. The air bags is a whole different story, but knowing what my max and ideal weight is may not require any air bags.

I know your talking trailer, but I just put airbags on my 1500 GMC, its a nice ride now and I like that I can adjust them. It helps with the heavier trailer I pull with it at times

Oh, Jeff now you asked for it now. If you bought a real truck to begin with, then their would be no need for airbags.

All I can say is S U P E R D U T Y!!!!!!

I am starting to wonder why I even have a trailer, and not just put everything in the back of the truck. A 3 ton will carry a lot.

I've been gettin' the itch for one myself, Alan. I keep thinking an F-650 super crew would be a nice addition to the family, and could pull a boat, camper, even a train as easily as any new work trailer.

Then I see a straight truck or something, and then that is uppermost in my mind!:rolleyes:

Equipment fever is terrible, and there is no real cure.

I'm pretty sure the super/super would increase my street value, though.

Oh, Jeff now you asked for it now. If you bought a real truck to begin with, then their would be no need for airbags.

All I can say is S U P E R D U T Y!!!!!!

I am starting to wonder why I even have a trailer, and not just put everything in the back of the truck. A 3 ton will carry a lot.

I hear you, I do love my Superduty, its a strong truck

Its one long SOB. Love turning it around in a cul de sac pulling the 16 ft trailer:lgbugeyes damn thing has no turning radius. But is a nice work truck

post-23-13777218793_thumb.jpg

post-23-137772188278_thumb.jpg

My Isuzu has the BEST turn radius of any of my trucks.

I have only used leaf springs, and usually add one or two to all my rigs.

Older F 350's will NOT carry 500 to 600 gal tanks w/o beefing up the springs.

We use older trucks simply because IME any roof cleaning truck is soon DOOMED.

I buy olderFord F 350 dually flatbeds, and run em till they cant run no more, pull my stuff, junk em, and repeat.

I INSIST on a dually.

Blowing a rear tire with a FULL 500 gallon tank is a "special experience".

I have not used trailers much, after one with a 500 gallon FULL tank of Apple Sauce broke loose and was bound for "glory".

Had a HARD time convincing the State Cop it was 'weak bleach" ,,,,

My dad has torsion springs on his boat trailer of his 23' bay boat and that has to be the easiest, sweetest boat I have ever pulled. It doesnt sway, bounce or do anything else but track straight.

I don't know about on an equipment trailer, but on my next one I was going to investigate it I liked my dad's trailer so much.

Scott

Jeff,

Get an F-450 and you will have no more turning problems. The front track is wider and turns very well.

I recently snapped some of the leaf spring straps that connect the spring to the equalizer, and aside from unsafe, it was a pita to replace them on the side of the road.

For heavy duty loading, leaf springs.

For a soft ride, torsion suspension of one sort or other may be employed.

The trailer mfg may like torsion because they have a neat little axle package they can install quickly on the frame.

...Try fixing a broke torsion bar on the roadside.

I did, once.

Jacked up the truck and stuck wood blocks between axle and frame.

...It got us home!

Other methods use rubber snubber things that eventually slump.

No fix but replacement... if that flavor still available.

In most leaf spring stacks, (I think by law) there are at least 2 full length leaves that will hold things up if others get cracked.

r

Only thing I know is I built mine less then a foot off ground with no problems running 4" drop axle and 4 leafs (3500lb only I thinks) on a small 4x8' trailer. I drop door and roll out full size pressure washer and floor scrubbing tools that total only upto maybe a ton so is no real compare to carrying water on bigger trailers you guys maybe talking about. If hitch and tounge height is correct there is no dragging but for the most extreme gutter pullin situations with my length.

Am unsure how big or high the torsion axle setups would have me compared to drop leaf but it would be a major consideration on a new trailer.

Airbags can be had for under $200. Had them on my toyota to carry pallets of paper.

The torsion system in semis with airbags is far different than the torsion system they use with smaller trailers. I hav elooked at the torsion axles, and remained with the springs. I also get my trailers built at 10k lbs, because it is just a lot longer between when springs break, and they will break. My current main trailer is 7 years old now and is still great. I have replaced teh fenders on it and springs on the back axles on both sides. I also have done the spirng hangers. Fix it and keep it moving.

You do that yerself Scott?.. I had some the important spots like the hangers and tounge reinforcements arc welded by a expert welding friend. Didn't want to trust them to my mig skills especially without shielding gas..lol..

Also when I looked at the torsion axles it seemed the heavier capacities get real fat and I think you got to purposely block the chasis up to get some ride height.

My wife says that I am too stupid to know what I cannot do. I don't know what she means, I though I could do anything.

There are a few thigns that I will not tackle. I have not rebuilt an automatic transmission, yet...

My wife says that I am too stupid to know what I cannot do. I don't know what she means, I though I could do anything.

There are a few thigns that I will not tackle. I have not rebuilt an automatic transmission, yet...

And Why not an automatic tranny? I've used that as example to my wife for years but am dying to try on my next one. I mean they make manuals and sell all the parts. I bet that "Joe Scmo can't build a tranny" is like the biggest myth in car repair.

I'm with you, I'm eager to try if time ever allowed.

Scott

....Had a HARD time convincing the State Cop it was 'weak bleach" ,,,,

I can just imagine the conversation: "Officer I swear! The new kid mixed the apple sauce this morning and messed up the ratios. Honestly, it's not as bad as it smells!"

LOL