Sign in to follow this  
Scott Stone

Business profitability

I need to net this much each year to be full time.  

31 members have voted

1. 1. I need to net this much each year to be full time.

• 50 k

Question

I have posted this before.

Here is the question, How much per year do you need to net to go from part timer to full time

We are all in this for the money. That is commonly accepted. We all want to make the maximum that we can. So what is the answer, HOw much, and give an explanation.

14 answers to this question

good question, i was losing money being part time, month of nov, and dec I will net as much as salary at old job.

I could not afford not to go full time. been full time since june, nearing the 6 month mark.

John, you make more than $95k per year at your other job? I think Scott is asking how much gross it would take to make the career change committment from daily grind to full time business owner. With benefits and perks I had to replace about $90k. To gross 90k in personal salary I would have to gross about 165k. Dare I dream? Maybe one day...

I left my job about 2 1/2 years ago and have been happy ever since. Though I had some rough months along the way, it was all worth it. I am netting what I use to gross with a job...bout 60K. I only needed about 40K a year to survive though...well, that's inflated a little too, I'M SPOILED :D

With a lot of luck,my business has been full time since part way through the second year.Full time for my son with a few part timers filling in.But I still haven't quit my other job.My better half thinks I'm a loon.I work between 75-90 hours a week,working 7 days a week.My other job is straight commision sales and quite flexable.I don't intend on packing it in any time soon as I have so many contacts to enable me to continually grow my own business. I'm Island hoping from Jan 12-Mar 1st.So it's not all work.And for the record,I don't look at it as work,"It's Play".Man I love working for me.

I asnwered 60k, but that is if I'm selling and others are working. If I am the labor and the sales, it quickly shoots over $120k. Also note that my OdorDestroyer.com website takes in quite a bit with minimal time comittment. If that did not exist, my answer would have been much higher.

FWIW, I left a job I loved and management/corp structure that I hated. Hence, this business is a bit of a paradox for me. I do not like the "work" nearly as much as I did before, but I like the management (customer, me) much better. It was time for a change and this was it. Will I be doing this in 5 years? Only of the money is excellent. Even then, I will likely build it and sell it.

John, you make more than $95k per year at your other job? I think Scott is asking how much gross it would take to make the career change committment from daily grind to full time business owner. With benefits and perks I had to replace about $90k. To gross 90k in personal salary I would have to gross about 165k. Dare I dream? Maybe one day...

Since my other job is public record I've been averaging over $125,000 a year the last 3 yrs. 3 yrs ago I made over $130,000 on this job and grossed about the same Powerwashing. That was a great year but keep in mind I had a full time guy along with a part time guy and myself Powerwashing non stop. Last year I was over $100,00 again on both jobs but this year I lost my fulltime guy in August and with him went my Part timer who he always picked up (They both live about 40 miles from my house and the part time guy doesnt drive). John and Lewis always went out. They would show up at my house at 7:30-8am and they would be gone sometimes untill 10pm(Summer time). I would go out with them or I'd be doing stripping and staining jobs myself. John would do most of my Commercial accounts and those where done when I was doing my night "Other" job but because he left this year I wont crack that $100,000 mark. I just hired two more guys this week so if all goes well it will be a new set of guys going out for my business next year and my Gross total will rise once again.

Everett Abrams use to tell me that I was the most successful part timer that he knows in this industry and to me that was a high compliment coming from a guy who is so knowledgeable and who does well in this business.

The goal I now have is to walk away from my other Job by June 15th 08 and to do like Jeff and many others are doing. Advertise all over the place and hire/fire people to get to where I want to be. Maybe one day Everett Abrams can say "Hey John you are the most successful Powerwasher I know:)

You gotta have Dreams

Since my other job is public record I've been averaging over $125,000 a year the last 3 yrs. 3 yrs ago I made over $130,000 on this job and grossed about the same Powerwashing. That was a great year but keep in mind I had a full time guy along with a part time guy and myself Powerwashing non stop. Last year I was over $100,00 again on both jobs but this year I lost my fulltime guy in August and with him went my Part timer who he always picked up (They both live about 40 miles from my house and the part time guy doesnt drive). John and Lewis always went out. They would show up at my house at 7:30-8am and they would be gone sometimes untill 10pm(Summer time). I would go out with them or I'd be doing stripping and staining jobs myself. John would do most of my Commercial accounts and those where done when I was doing my night "Other" job but because he left this year I wont crack that $100,000 mark. I just hired two more guys this week so if all goes well it will be a new set of guys going out for my business next year and my Gross total will rise once again.

Everett Abrams use to tell me that I was the most successful part timer that he knows in this industry and to me that was a high compliment coming from a guy who is so knowledgeable and who does well in this business.

The goal I now have is to walk away from my other Job by June 15th 08 and to do like Jeff and many others are doing. Advertise all over the place and hire/fire people to get to where I want to be. Maybe one day Everett Abrams can say "Hey John you are the most successful Powerwasher I know:)

You gotta have Dreams

Good luck on your dream brother. We know you can do it. 2008 watch out!!

That is kind of Tricky, because your net is your net, however, you must also include in your net, monies set aside for equipment and vehicle replacement

this stuff doesnt last forever, and it isnt cheap to replace either, also in most folks replies are they including health care for family, retirement, etc.. or is that included in the biz expense column..? If all of the above is included in your net I believe it would be hard to make it on under $100K-$150K a year also you have to make the money for the off months which for me is 2-3 months, usually Dec. Jan, Feb which means you should be billing at least $200K a year, because your expenses will eat up at least 50% of your gross, and that doesnt include retirement, college funds, emergency funds, equipment and vehicle replacement

with all of that maybe closer to $225K + a year, we are close to that now however it took 5 years and alot of aspirin, If the business doesnt grow much much more in the next 1-3 years I may want to sell as well, or at least diversify into other income streams, this is way to physically demanding, and a ton of headaches to do for less than $100K a year,

Just my Opinion

Hope this he;ps