Sign in to follow this  
Beth n Rod

Cabin Fever-How do you deal with it?

Question

Every year the winter comes with less work for those of us in the northern lattitudes and that means more time spent inside being couped up.

It can get to some people and it comes out in the forms of frustration, anger, rebellion, restleness, depression and lot's of time online.

How do you help to overcome the effects of cabin fever?

Rod!~

15 answers to this question

Thats a very good question. I feel like right now I am going through a depressed phase. I'm pretty sure because I put my pajamas on two nights ago and I havent changed clothes. Thats probably TMI LOL!

I really thought I would like being a "stay at home Dad" in the winter months while the wife worked and in April-Nov. hit it like a banshee. But in all honesty I cant hardly stand it. I've got to find something to do next winter. I am currently in the middle of a flip, but I only work on that two days a week because of baby sitter issues.

I've been trying to do a lot of reading. Right now I am in the middle of Think and Grow Rich by Napolean Hill. Good book.

I've been planning for the RT in STL, but its so far out I am kind of at a stand still.

I've spent time going through the forums, but its getting to a point looking at a computer is getting to me (why am I posting, right? :) )

Spinning marketing ideas in my head, dreaming about the equipment I want a lot, telling myself this is the make it or break it year. Compling list of PM's in the area, sending them letters, designing postcards for the upcoming campaign. My mind never stops.

Anyway, thats about it.

Play Hockey a few times a week,go snowboarding.

Cuba,Dominican Republic,British Columbia,and then Mexico,leaving on January the 12th,back March the 1st.Can't wait.

I only work on exterior wood, so here in NJ the season ends late Oct. and starts up again late March to early April. Never seem to get bored, always something to do.

In the past have done some interior painting for wood customers, done some low voltage electrical and ethernet work, installed a new ipe' deck and interior wood floors throughout my own home, renovated a condo that we own and lease out, and a bunch of "honey do's".

Just got back from Down'east Maine from starting to build a house for a friend. Got the foundation in and the first floor framed and capped. Even if I get the dreaded "cabin fever", I'm not working in Maine in the winter!

Currently installing the latest Fedora Core 64 bit Linux operating system on my server. Got 4 other versions of Linux and Windoz. along with 2 laptops, to take care of. Might code a web site for the business this winter.

Just always seems to be too much to do, learn, and experience with not enough time. Of course by February, I'll be chompin' at the bit to get back to restoring exterior wood!

I will gain 50 pounds and sleep 12 hour day's. A case of beer a day and a carton of Lucky strike's ( no filters).Doing this will ensure my belly will show with the t-shirt that fit's me now and when I bend down I will have plumber butt.

The opening of Baseball season correlates with the official opening day of PW season. I'll be ready......

James LOL

Please take a before and after picture and post them here so we can all relate to those extra pounds you added.

Thats a very good question. I feel like right now I am going through a depressed phase. I'm pretty sure because I put my pajamas on two nights ago and I havent changed clothes. Thats probably TMI LOL!

:lol:

yeah, TMI

Rod!~

I have trouble with Seasonal Affective Disorder in the winter.

If anyone else has, I recommend getting an SAD light. It makes a lot of difference for me.

The title of this post would be perfect as a title for my autobiography, but since nobody has seemed too interested in that project, I will settle for using it here.:winking:

Since I was just a little kid, I've hunted, especially in winter. It has always provided me with whatever I needed at the time. It refreshes me when I'm worn out, and calms me when times are too hectic.

I really have no practical knowledge of cabin-fever unless you count the hospital-room fever I had a few years back. I can also say that I've never been bored, outside of a lecture-hall or conference room. I've learned myriad ways to occupy my mind when I can't get out into nature, and I'll share one that I like especially well: I look for wildlife in the cities and towns I occasionally can't escape.

You might be surprised how many larger wild animals coexist with us in our cities without being noticed. I've spotted hawks, eagles, geese, possums, raccoons, turkeys, deer, foxes, woodchucks, and other animals inside the city limits of Omaha. The police even shot and captured a cougar on a popular walking trail here just 2 or 3 years back.:lgbugeyes

Sometimes just seeing a hawk cruising for lunch is enough to relieve some of the pent-up load that can turn into cabin fever; it helps me remember more entertaining times.

Of course, my three good hunting buddies help quite a bit as well. Pete is the big dog the first pic, he's laying down with Oliver (silver pup), and Willa (blue pup). Pete has been my avatar here often, and is solo in the alarming last photo. The middle pic is Oliver alone, looking like his goofy self.

The boys are mine, Willa is my dad's pup, and is a week younger than Oliver (&months for Ollie this week). Pete is eleven years old and is in his 12th season hunting. He's getting a little deaf, and is also getting cataracts, but is still the best hunter I've ever known. They are all good fever-breakers!

Gotta love your hounds, no?

post-1043-13777217173_thumb.jpg

post-1043-137772171738_thumb.jpg

post-1043-13777217174_thumb.jpg

The title of this post would be perfect as a title for my autobiography, but since nobody has seemed too interested in that project, I will settle for using it here.:winking:

Since I was just a little kid, I've hunted, especially in winter. It has always provided me with whatever I needed at the time. It refreshes me when I'm worn out, and calms me when times are too hectic.

I really have no practical knowledge of cabin-fever unless you count the hospital-room fever I had a few years back. I can also say that I've never been bored, outside of a lecture-hall or conference room. I've learned myriad ways to occupy my mind when I can't get out into nature, and I'll share one that I like especially well: I look for wildlife in the cities and towns I occasionally can't escape.

You might be surprised how many larger wild animals coexist with us in our cities without being noticed. I've spotted hawks, eagles, geese, possums, raccoons, turkeys, deer, foxes, woodchucks, and other animals inside the city limits of Omaha. The police even shot and captured a cougar on a popular walking trail here just 2 or 3 years back.:lgbugeyes

Sometimes just seeing a hawk cruising for lunch is enough to relieve some of the pent-up load that can turn into cabin fever; it helps me remember more entertaining times.

Of course, my three good hunting buddies help quite a bit as well. Pete is the big dog the first pic, he's laying down with Oliver (silver pup), and Willa (blue pup). Pete has been my avatar here often, and is solo in the alarming last photo. The middle pic is Oliver alone, looking like his goofy self.

The boys are mine, Willa is my dad's pup, and is a week younger than Oliver (&months for Ollie this week). Pete is eleven years old and is in his 12th season hunting. He's getting a little deaf, and is also getting cataracts, but is still the best hunter I've ever known. They are all good fever-breakers!

Gotta love your hounds, no?