Sign in to follow this  
GetRClean

Am I Wrong??

Question

Recently I did a mail out to all the pm's in my area and recieved a call to give a estimate on all the homes in this gated community (213) homes.There are 4 diff styles of homes ranging from 1250 to 1850 sq ft., the pm was wanting 1 price for all homes, (no roofs or driveways). While in the area I ran into the company that was currently cleaning these homes, He seemed to be very nice but I could see he was not happy I was there. He told me what he was getting for each house and I thought it was very high. I gave the estimate to the pm and got the contract 3 days later. I came in $12 lower than the other company,and come to find out I was really $18 more than the other company( pm showed me the invoices). They were not happy with his services anymore. The pw company that was in there called me and attacted my work ethics saying I should not even give an estimate where there is another company already servicing them. So the ? is am I wrong for giving the estimate after seeing the other company their?

Mark

17 answers to this question

Have you ever switched dry cleaners? If so, WHY?? Was it price,service,or maybe location or just to see if your original cleaner is doing a good job? People change for various reasons.Some go back to the original guy and some switch permanently or temporarily. As Mr. Fenner mentioned,they called you. Unless I'm missing something, I can't see where you did anything wrong.

Yeah, the guy just didn't like the fact that someone else was there and threw that line out there to justify himself.

Like Ken said, they called you. If there wasn't a problem to begin with, you would not have been asked to bid.

Rod!~

Since he told you what he was getting, he may feel that you low balled him. Did you tell him why you were there when you met? Upset because he lost a decent project is not out of line, but he needs to look at the reason why.

He came in $18 higher then the other guy. Sounds like he was just upset that he lost that contract....Understandable but still no reason to call you and whine.

Recently I did a mail out to all the pm's in my area and recieved a call to give a estimate on all the homes in this gated community (213) homes.There are 4 diff styles of homes ranging from 1250 to 1850 sq ft., the pm was wanting 1 price for all homes, (no roofs or driveways). While in the area I ran into the company that was currently cleaning these homes, He seemed to be very nice but I could see he was not happy I was there. He told me what he was getting for each house and I thought it was very high. I gave the estimate to the pm and got the contract 3 days later. I came in $12 lower than the other company,and come to find out I was really $18 more than the other company( pm showed me the invoices). They were not happy with his services anymore. The pw company that was in there called me and attacted my work ethics saying I should not even give an estimate where there is another company already servicing them. So the ? is am I wrong for giving the estimate after seeing the other company their?

Mark

Of course you're not wrong. Even if they hadn't called you, and you submitted a bid, you weren't wrong. I do mailers all the time, and I'm sure some of those go to people who already have a PW contractor. If they choose to go with me based on confidence in my ability, my pricing, or whatever, that's their choice.

If this guy wanted the jobs, he should have made sure his customer was happy.

Since he told you what he was getting, he may feel that you low balled him. Did you tell him why you were there when you met? Upset because he lost a decent project is not out of line, but he needs to look at the reason why.

If I read his post correctly, the guy told him what he was getting, but Mark came in $12.00 cheaper...but it turns out he was REALLY $18.00 higher, but got the job anyway because the other guy wasn't making them happy. Which means the other guy lied about his price, saying he was getting $30.00 more than he was really getting, I assume to get Mark to do exactly what he did. Didn't work...that's probably why the guy is upset...he tried to play Mark and it blew up in his face.

Sorry Mark, I had posted this before reading that you hadn't changed your bid after talking with him.

The PM called you, you had the right to bid. As for ethics, the other guy lied to you about his price to try to set you up to lose the bid all the time he knew his quality was lacking which brought you in. His ethics lack, not yours. Congratulations on a big account.

If they gave you a shot, you should bid. If you get it, it is just business. It happens to all of us. No one gets or keeps every account out there.

My question is this....why aren't they happy with the other guy, and did you see anything about the work that you would see was problematic? Where do you need to be better so you avoid the other company's problems?

Beth

Are you wrong? YES..............only kidding. The PM called you and you got the job. The heck with the other guy he lied to you anyway. I have some local guys and we all work together in ways, we try not to step on each others feet, but anyone else if I get a call to bid, I bid it plain & simple. Like everyone said its biz

200+ homes GREAT CONGRATS TO YOU

Jeff

If this guy wanted the jobs, he should have made sure his customer was happy.

Thank you Mike, my point exactly. It's a dog eat dog world we live in that conducts business. One can do a whole bunch of rights but it is the one wrong that will stick out. That is the fate of the one you won the contract from. He made one too many wrongs and it takes only one. Obviously it was bad enough for the PM to consider someone else to take on the work.

Rod!~

I have been in a similar situation and when I see someone I know I tell them that if I know you do this place then I will not go and try to get them, BUT.... If they call me then they are calling for a reason and I have no problem with that whatsoever. I found nothing wrong with what you did. You did not make him tell you the price. Maybe he will start doing better quality work or give better service with his other customers.

Business is business very simple. We are not out to be best friends with our competitors, but we can be friendly. You were not wrong, of course. Most likely the competitor had complaints on him, maybe not major, but I guarantee that one of those people had an issue with him, maybe a few. The only thing about it that makes me edgey: I've done tons of good work, but there's always that customer that you cannot please, we've all had them. What if that person raised a stink to the point that this guy lost a major contract. It is DEFINETELY NOT YOUR FAULT, but this has happened to me. One old lady was picky so I never got a call from that community association ever again. basically 30 happy people-1 unhappy(loving the attention from a complaint)person= loss of contract. Nothing you can do but reap the benefits, but maybe he is a hack. never know!