Sign in to follow this  
Jeff

Dilemma

Question

I have quite a dilemma:eek: . I am solidly booked on large projects and doing 2 projects many of the weeks for the next 8 weeks and then after that we are pretty booked up and through most of July and some in August.

I had a PM company call today on a bid I gave a couple months ago. Its a large project aabout 15K take 4 guys about a week. I got the bid and she (PM) asked me to schedule it. I told her its about 8 weeks out. She said .......OH. She said its a problem the place is dirty and a few weeks would be no problem, but 2 months no way. She told me the next bid was only a few hundred higher and the property might want to go with them if they can get in quicker.

I played it off a little and said let me get back to her Monday. I wanthis job, because I'm not in biz to do bids and then dont do the job. But I really cant figure out yet WTF I'm going to do to fit this in. I got 5 guys and 5 machines running 10-11 hours a day now, jobs are going great.

This PM is a PM company I do one biannaull job for and I've been trying for over 2 years for them to use us on other projects and now they are going to and Im booked

I can hire and train more guys and even buy a couple more 5.6's , and use my small open trailer and my brother in laws truck. If I buy this equipment, Im really not going to need it probably that much unless it stays crazy like it is now. I cant be telling PM's sorry you have to wait 8-10 weeks, these properties want their spring cleanings

I cant pass this job and pm up, this is what I wanted and Im getting it. Should i buy the extra equipment? Even if I may not need it in 3, 4 months

What the hecks a guy to do

I Love This Biz:)

65 answers to this question

Sounds like you need a bigger warehouse. Hey, why not! It's a tax writeoff!! Hey, you'll probably save more in taxes than it costs you! LOL! :rolleyes:

Be nice Mike LOL

You gotta spend money to make money. Buy the thing and get it done. Do you have a worker who can keep the machine at home and roll to residential jobs from there?

What about a bigger trailer, to fit another machine?

Both my trailers have 2 machines in them, plus each trailer carries a 4gpm as back up ( well one 4gpm is now being used too). I was thinking of adding another 5.6 cold to one of them, really wouldnt fit, but also my tank wont be big enough to keep them supplied

I dont really mind spending the $$$ for a trailer but then I need a truck too

One of the biggest things is I got my 2 great guys and they can pull trailer, but my other 3 guys are real new and I just cant trust them yet with pulling my equipment around

I know I'm going to get a 5.6 cold at least, but I just dont know about how Im going to get it around

HOw about a van, adn then a small trailer to start your extra stuff that you might need at your warehouse?

You know that might not be a bad idea Scott. I really dont like the thought of working out of a van (due to size) BUT then I could park it at my house without breaking any HOA rules in my neighborhood, I wouldnt need larger warehouse. I wouldnt worry as much sending a newer employee with the van compared to a truck with trailer

Vans are just to small, but as an extra setup or backup and then eventually I could get the rig out of van and put it on a trailer and pull it with the van

I'd love a good sized box van set up, that would be cool. Except that probably wouldnt fly with my HOA

Thanks Scott, you got me thinking about a van. Now to just try to find a van....new or used???????????

Used considering your plan to "grow" out of it eventually - There are some vans out there (Sprinters & E350?) that are plenty big.....just ask Beth & Rod - they swear by their sprinter!

Celeste

Jeff,

I bought a new 2007 Ford E250 extended van last month. Sticker was $27,400, got them down to $24,600.

The deal maker was the financing. Ford credit is (was?) basically giving money away to make deals. 2.9% for 60 months. Financed the whole thing, aside from tax and tags. It just did not make sense to buy anything used.

Check out the extended E250 vans. The 18" increase in body length makes a big difference, it has a lot of space for a van. With the 5.4L engine, you can pull a pretty good size trailer.

If I was to get a van, what would be the best way to set it up?? Should a Have the machine(s) at the back doors with hose reels. I'm thinking about the exhaust/fumes. Should I extend the exhaust pipe and put it out the floor?

water tank

A lot to think about in a little time. I got to get something up and running i a couple weeks or by tomorrow lol

I would seriously look at a sprinter. They seem to have the most room, but are on the edge of driving HOA's nuts. An extra long e-250 might be a serious and competent option.

For what it is worth, I would go new,. but I am that way.

If I was to get a van, what would be the best way to set it up?? Should a Have the machine(s) at the back doors with hose reels. I'm thinking about the exhaust/fumes. Should I extend the exhaust pipe and put it out the floor?

water tank

A lot to think about in a little time. I got to get something up and running i a couple weeks or by tomorrow lol

This should give you some ideas...

http://www.thegrimescene.com/forums/scrap-book/10020-stuffed-rig-photos.html

No, John, YOU don't understand business, at least not in this regard. You don't create expenses you don't need in order to get tax write offs UNLESS it is going to get MORE in tax writeoffs than the expense cost you. Simple math, bro...you're just not getting it...you're stuck in the wrong paradigm. :)

When Jeff starts making SO much money, and has SO many investments that he actually has to spend money to save MORE in taxes than he spent, then we can talk. He's not there yet, nor are most of us.

And buying items that are going to depreciate solely for a tax write-off is pure stupid.

Lol...you work "around" the richest people in the world as a cop....doesn't qualify you as a tax accountant...

My other job IS accounting, including tax accounting. :)

Last point...I didn't say he shouldn't expand...I said he should...But to expand if you DON'T NEED TO simply to spend money in order to not pay taxes is STUPID. Yes, "STUPID".

We're taking a couple trailers and machines that will be garbage in 10 years, not a tax shelter or real estate investment.

You don't know as much as you "think" you know, John.

I know enough to see what works and what doesn't.Hey whatever works for ya. I think your missing my point but this is not what Jeff is asking so there is no point debating this. What I didn't know was that you had another job. I thought Powerwashing was your fulltime job.

As for the Sprinter Vans there are some good deals on Ebay.

I know enough to see what works and what doesn't.Hey whatever works for ya. I think your missing my point but this is not what Jeff is asking so there is no point debating this. What I didn't know was that you had another job. I thought Powerwashing was your fulltime job.

As for the Sprinter Vans there are some good deals on Ebay.

I'm like you, John...I have two full time jobs...

water tank

The reserve tank is the caveat about using a van. No way you can fit more than a float tank if you put a skid unit in it. In your shoes I would get a 2000 1 ton E350, put in a 5.6 gpm portable cold water on one side (at back door), 250 gal reserve next to it and run your hose reels at an angle out the side door.

You should be able to set the whole thing up for $10 g's. No note, ready to rock and roll, and your HOA will be happy. Work trucks depreciate in value too quickly. I usually let someone else pay for that. You should be able to have a fully functional extra rig and pay for it and your expenses on just this job. That's smart business all the way around.

Here is one I was looking at. Its a diesel and will probably sell for around 8K but there are some clean vehicles out there in the used market.

eBay Motors: Ford : E-Series Van (item 180112266929 end time May-06-07 18:00:00 PDT)

The reserve tank is the caveat about using a van. No way you can fit more than a float tank if you put a skid unit in it. In your shoes I would get a 2000 1 ton E350, put in a 5.6 gpm portable cold water on one side (at back door), 250 gal reserve next to it and run your hose reels at an angle out the side door.

Check the link at the bottom of my last post in this thread...he's got a hot water skid, a full 250 gallon tank, an extra machine, hose reels, AND spare room in that joker...

I'd LOVE a van setup, my only major problem with that is I don't like the idea of driving around in the same room as gas, diesel, chlorine, and other chems...An accident could get really nasty really fast.

Here's that link...

Stuffed rig photos

I looked at Ford Extended Van 5.4 lt, pretty much stripped down. They want $23,900 . Man I'm just having a problem, I know this set up what ever I get will probably sit around for 4-6 months a year, I need it now but probably dont have enough biz to keep it up and making money all the time. As it is now I have 5 machines and 5 guys working, if I have any problems with equipment I dont have guys working and wont be able to keep up.

The van & PW set up, lots of money.

The van isnt my ideal setup, I just dont like everything in a van with no room and all the fuel & chems, but it does save me from looking for larger warehouse, I dont have to keep it in my home garage and my HOA wont bi*ch

Damn I wish i was rich

Sorry just thinking out loud

Alright thinking out loud for some of you good businessmen that are good with figuring the $$$. I have to get somekind of set up pretty quick, I'm looking at the new van with one hot water setup and maybe a cold. We are talking around 32K- 34K total, plus added insurance etc. I dont have the liquid cash now and would be putting down a total of about 5-7K cash on van and finance and 2+K on rig and lease the rest

OR

I could set up a small trailer that I have and put 2 cold portables on it and I can leave trailer at my house and roll off the 2 portables each night..cost less than 6K and I pay cash

Can I afford the van set up.........Yes, but its a lot of money and I just dont think it will be used 6 months out of a year for now. Plus it adds to my bills quite a bit

I know and I run a business, pretty scary huh!

Monety decisions alway have me wondering and yes a little stressed

OK

Jeff

Between $6k and $32K to build a rig on a $15k job?

I still think you could sub it for around what you would pay for the lower priced rig and come out looking like a hero to the PM.

Between $6k and $32K to build a rig on a $15k job?

I still think you could sub it for around what you would pay for the lower priced rig and come out looking like a hero to the PM.

Not just on the 15K job, Im running 5 guys now and we are doing 2 good sized jobs every week up well into July. We are doing 10-18 K a week and have more jobs in the final stages of being OK'd plus still have PM's calling for smaller $500-1500 jobs and thats with turning away a ton of residential. I'll hire a new guy and will have the new setup for backup also

Im not subbing, i just dont want to. ]

Im just having a hard time justifing 30+K. I'm trying to talk myself into and out of buying what I'll probably need more in the future than what I need now

This is what you need.

GEMTOP Manufacturing - Steel Tough Truck Tops

It is room enough to put your stuff, you can get it up to 24 inches above the cab, and it keeps all the mean and nastys out of the cab, like chemicals and such.

The topper will run you about $1500 plus a pickup. If you want to conserve a little money, then you could buy a good used pickup, and it would still fall under the HOA Nazi guidelines.

Jeff, get off the vanity tip. This is business. Why do you need a new vehicle that is going to sit for half a year? Why take on another note? Buy something outright, do some jobs over the summer. Sell it on e-bay as a turnkey rig later in the season you'll probably get most of your money back and turn a nice profit from your work. When you're ready next year and have your ducks lined up with storage and employees and can expand you can look into a new rig then.

I am anti-equipment junky. If something won't turn a profit from day 1, I don't need it.

Not just on the 15K job, Im running 5 guys now and we are doing 2 good sized jobs every week up well into July. We are doing 10-18 K a week and have more jobs in the final stages of being OK'd plus still have PM's calling for smaller $500-1500 jobs and thats with turning away a ton of residential. I'll hire a new guy and will have the new setup for backup also

Im not subbing, i just dont want to. ]

Im just having a hard time justifing 30+K. I'm trying to talk myself into and out of buying what I'll probably need more in the future than what I need now

Nice attitude snappy and pretentious all balled into one,but then again I guess being the king you can do that.

Jeff, get off the vanity tip. This is business. Why do you need a new vehicle that is going to sit for half a year? Why take on another note? Buy something outright, do some jobs over the summer. Sell it on e-bay as a turnkey rig later in the season you'll probably get most of your money back and turn a nice profit from your work. When you're ready next year and have your ducks lined up with storage and employees and can expand you can look into a new rig then.

I am anti-equipment junky. If something won't turn a profit from day 1, I don't need it.

I'm leaning in that direction, just getting what I absolutly need. Its not a vanity thing, I just like new because I am not a mechanic and I just dont like used. My luck It would die in a month

The one reason I want another is to hire another emplotyee and be able to do more work in less days and not pass up on thousands of $$$$ of residential, Plus I could cut down on some of the overtime

I think I'm talking myself out of 34K and something that makes better $$$ sense to me

Nice attitude snappy and pretentious all balled into one,but then again I guess being the king you can do that.

Oh Scott LOL

I just dont want to sub, because I dont want another company close to my PM's, plus i know how I want things done and others may not be up to what I want or even care since its not really their job

Oh Jeff LOL

I live 7 hours away so I'm not really after your PM's.I offered our services and you never bothered to pick up the phone and see what it would cost you to make it happen.

P.S. I'm pretty sure I have the same high standards of cleaning a property as you do.If someone is writing me us a check their job becomes our job we aren't in the habit of doing things 1/2 way because it's not our contract.

But hey.........

Good Luck and continued success.

Oh Jeff LOL

I live 7 hours away so I'm not really after your PM's.I offered our services and you never bothered to pick up the phone and see what it would cost you to make it happen.

P.S. I'm pretty sure I have the same high standards of cleaning a property as you do.If someone is writing me us a check their job becomes our job we aren't in the habit of doing things 1/2 way because it's not our contract.

But hey.........

Good Luck and continued success.

Hey Scott, I wasnt talking about you when i mentioned standards, I was talking in general, plus i really didnt think you were really offering or going after my PM's

Nothing i said was directed at you and sorry if some how you thought it was. Sorry I didnt call, but I never considered in this thread or anytime subbing the work out to you or anyone, like I said sorry if i gave you the wrong impression.

But like you said I probably couldnt afford your daily rate